Strange things happen in DCC

CambriaArea51

I have 2 Scaletrains SD40-3's. I hooked the first on the Lokprogrammer and did a new sound file that was released this month. Firmware was also updated. When finished the decoder went from a 20 function to a 32 function. Great but lost my ditch lights.
Number 2 same process but stayed a 20 function with working ditch lights. Tried a second time with the same result. Back to the first and did some function mapping and got them to work. The difference between the two other than the functions is #1 the bell sounds with the horn.

A very similar thing happened to me this afternoon. I have three SD40-2s, all three Intermountain. Two are Santa Fe, the other is a UP unit. Not wanting all three to have completely identical sound files, I downloaded one from Loksound onto the UP engine. It turned out the file I downloaded had some different options which caused the engine to not respond like the other two. I ended up copying to configuration from one of the Santa Fe engines, and pasting to the UP engine. Now all three function and MU well together, with the UP engine sounding just slightly different.

In the ESU programming, all that sound stuff is programmable with mapping.
Each window in the mapping page opens to drop down selections. Plug around in there to see what is what. Most of the problems will become obvious.

In the ESU programming, all that sound stuff is programmable with mapping.
Each window in the mapping page opens to drop down selections. Plug around in there to see what is what. Most of the problems will become obvious.
That's how I got the ditch lights to work, looking at the mapping on the one that had them working. Just don't know how one has the 32 functions and the other still has to 20.

The sound projects you can download from ESU will list the decoder version it can be loaded to.
as for the difference between the two decoders, ya got me on that one. I've had difficulties with Scaletrain locos in adjusting speed tables to specific speeds. I'm pretty sure the decoders that ScaleTrains installs are a custom build from ESU. When ya have a problem with the decoder, it goes back to ScaleTrains, not ESU.

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago with a new ÖBB Triebwagenzug. The original sound file provided by Jägerndorfer was missing a couple of interesting functions that the ESU sound file included.

I uploaded the ESU sound project and lost my cab lights and hi-beam headlights. I had to figure out which AUX'es controlled those lights and then assign them and map them. Not too difficult, but very unexpected. While I was in the Lokprogrammer I added a couple of extra station announcements too.

Well I figured out why #2 did not download the 32 function. After the first engine I did the second with the same download. It ended up keeping the 20 function. Today I deleted the download on the computer and re downloaded off the ESU site. After programing I have the same 32 functions as the first.
So now when I do the sound upgrade on my 3 ES44AC's I will have to delete the file on the computer after each engine is done programing.

Well I figured out why #2 did not download the 32 function. After the first engine I did the second with the same download. It ended up keeping the 20 function. Today I deleted the download on the computer and re downloaded off the ESU site. After programing I have the same 32 functions as the first.
So now when I do the sound upgrade on my 3 ES44AC's I will have to delete the file on the computer after each engine is done programing.
Interesting.

Back