Steve's SOCAL BNSF layout

I'll take a look at both types of materials at Lowe's/HD. Thanks again for the tips.

I may have to elevate these on the "to do" list on the layout!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't done much to the layout other than get frustrated running double stack trains (or should I say attempting to run them).

Here's a bit of work I did on the east end of the mountains. I added the scultpamold and started work on another piece that looks more like a transition up to the mountains and breaks up those four mainlines. This piece was added separate because I need to be able to dismantle it without tearing into the existing mountains since the shelf in the front would come apart from the mountains. I'll blend it if but if I ever have to move I'll just need to cut about 7 inches of plaster cloth and sculptamold vice cut into all the mountains and cardboard supports.

Hope that makes sense!

79e2cdd8c971a5a0e808b50cce5985e5.jpg

959cfa1adb9a68e0dcc2689436499a90.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Steve

You are really capturing the look of Southern California scenery as I remember it from my trip across the pond back in 1998. Great work!

Thanks Alan for the comments. It's a slow process but nice to see it finally taking shape and starting to look like something!

You are really getting there on the layout. I missed some of the photos from 10-12, looks like an easy way to do hills. I would like to see an overview photo showing the big picture if you get a chance--

Looking great!! lasm

Steve what I should have said ( after regoing through the layout thread is the entire layout looks great and the new addition to the mountain will add some nice definition to the area.
Thought I should say I had the same trouble with trying to cut cost with building mountains and I finally found a very economical way with dealing with the plaster cloth, Curries art supply sells the medical type plaster cloth at a way cheaper price than ws plaster cloth.

Lynn, thanks for comments and the info on the company selling plaster rolls. It does look like they only ship to Canada though at this time. I tried to place an order and it would go for anything in the US.

Good to know info though, I was able to buy much of my plaster cloth from another company online selling cheaper than WS.

Thanks again!
Steve

If you know a doctor or a nurse, you can also get it from them if there willing to, and the cool thing about it is it comes in colors so it's good for your base if you want color .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you know a doctor or a nurse, you can also get it from them if there willing to, and the cool thing about it is it comes in colors so it's good for your base if you want color .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice, I'll keep that in mind for the next time I buy some for the future expansions. I've got enough to finish what's in work right now. Thanks again for the info.

Steve

Overview shots as requested...
Not the greatest pictures and you'll have to excuse the mess on and under the layout.

67dfb7d94f50cba26c33690e8d62a5f8.jpg

97653db9b3938d87fc86ee644f4a2bba.jpg

faa990d674fa881e9940236e95003674.jpg

cc15b182dd7f555d4381d525ba61c18f.jpg

Also added plastercloth to the end currently in work. Once set I'll add sculptamold and detail this end!

1721315113a18641e75d773a96c19e4a.jpg

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the comments and kind words. It sure seems like its progressing slower when you see the same stuff every day!

Thanks again,
Steve

Great photos, nice layout, thanks for the view!!!

Thanks for being so good about keeping us up to date as well!! lasm

Thanks, one day I'll get around to making an overview video showing the trains running around the entire layout so people can put pictures with a location on the layout.

Steve

Finished adding sculptamold to this end and added the first coast of paint on the mountains prior to ground terrain scenery and detailing...

457aa1ae5da4ad87c3b08f3a92a6914c.jpg

684cac975fdbaf072255a0b8d8301064.jpg

1227071cecf1ae19e9ddad9445d144cb.jpg

c3adf05ca5b390cb62ad22a8f393c239.jpg

91cc9c12786431619708badf53a79f01.jpg

Once this end is detailed I'm going to move that sprinkler box and start installing backdrops. The ugly walls have to go!

Thanks for looking
Steve

Back