Steel water tower

rzw0wr

Newbie Switchman
I am putting together a Walthers steel water tower.
Kit number 933-3043.
I have everything done but the ladders.

What color would you paint this?
What color for the ladders?

My era is the transition period.
1950ish.

Thanks,
Dale

Dale,

I might start by painting a steel color then washing (somehow) over that with a rust color letting only some of the steel color show through. I'd do the same with the ladders but perhaps have more of a steel color for the rungs, depending on how much use it got. For the top of the tower, where the tank sits, you might want to try simulating some sort of green slime if you know what I mean.

Probably have only suggested the obvious, but that is how I would start. Not much help I don't think :(

Great to see yu back in the forums Dale too, unless I have been missing your other posts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Who owns the tank? Similar tanks were used not only be railroads but some water intensive industries and municipalities. In the '60s I've seen them painted black, white, yellow, blue, and green with company logos or town names on the side. So really, its up to you as to what will fit and look good on your railroad. Do you want it to be a standout feature or just fade into the background? Most of all, have fun and remember, its up to you do decide when it was last painted. So weather light or heavy, or not at all, or hang a scaffold and painters from it for a "brand new" look.

Usually, the ladders were the same color as the rest of the tank. And there was the tank at the airport/airbase fire department that was painted with red and white squares.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tony.
Good ideas.
I am as lost at scenery as you are to electronics.
I will do your electrical work and you can do my scenery. :)

Red Oak, the railroad will own the tank. It is for diesel and steam refueling.
It is not a main feature just part of a refueling station.
It may set next to my engine house, I have not figured any of this out yet.

I am still building track (Fast Tracks) and waiting for supplies from Canada. This may take a week or longer.
I thought I would build a structure or two while waiting.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Dale

Thanks Tony.
Good ideas.
I am as lost at scenery as you are to electronics.
I will do your electrical work and you can do my scenery. :)

Thanks for the suggestions,
Dale

I think we have a "PLAN" ... when do you want to start :D And thank you for the compliment ... I work cheap too:

1 X coffee every 1/2 hour
Qty of the "brown liquid" at the end of the day!

Rates liable to change depending on weather conditions ;)

Back