Steam Shed Cheri-starting out.

Cherish

Well, here is my mess so far. You can see I have plenty of room, and plenty of stuff. Id love to run on both walls, but I am starting small. I think 4x8, maybe 8x8. I'm going to see if I can fit a sheet of plywood in my SUV, plus some 1x2 braces for now and just set it on top of the table. Dying to get started. Cheri

1708461009961.png
1708461029933.png
1708461050365.png

Cheri,

If you have to, ask them to cut the sheet in half, so they're 4 feet long.
Lay each half on the plastic table, end to end.
Drill four 7/16 holes and bolt them down or just zap them down with drywall screws.
Either way, it's easy peasy and fun start.

You can have the plywood cut into strips and use that instead of 1x2s you can also build it module so you can add to it later or move it.
I fine that 3/4 Cabinet plywood is much easier to use then dimensional lumber and it more stable and I use 1/4 to 3/8 ply for the top.
I just rebuilt the benchwork on a 4x8 layout someone build about 5 years ago. The 1x3 twisted and warp and cause the top to be wavey.
Here are 3 videos of how I build my module benchwork you can make any size and shape.

I got the plywood cut in half. not building yet.. just playing. Mostly finding out what I have that works. So far 1 of 3 engines are working. the other 2 (twins) are both broken-wheels coming off linkage falling out. I did get another package of assorted track, and was able to get the figure 8 going. Too much derailing. Need foam and track pins. The circle track was 2 days ago. I am having fun. Reading too.
You can have the plywood cut into strips and use that instead of 1x2s you can also build it module so you can add to it later or move it.
I fine that 3/4 Cabinet plywood is much easier to use then dimensional lumber and it more stable and I use 1/4 to 3/8 ply for the top.
I just rebuilt the benchwork on a 4x8 layout someone build about 5 years ago. The 1x3 twisted and warp and cause the top to be wavey.
Here are 3 videos of how I build my module benchwork you can make any size and shape.
This is very similar to what I am planning. Good tips though. THANX

Attachments

• 20240226_135926.jpg
    20240226_135926.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240226_162115.jpg
    20240226_162115.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 29
Bachmann, I believe, made two versions of this model (from a tooling standpoint). There's the "cheaper" version that was put in train kits for kids (that's the one that I have), and a nicer, newer version which you can still get parts for (at least last I checked). If you've got two, there's no reason you can't have at least one good runner. :D

These are definitely the cheaper ones. I have been busy , but there are sitting right here. Just waiting for a time slot to work on them. Been looking for thick foam for the base. Is there someplace special to get it? Thinking of getting the 1" and just gluing it together for thickness where I need it.

Back