Steam Locomotive

FM C liner

Hey guys,
I am looking into possibly purchasing a HO steam loco. I have looked on ebay and noted that IHC seems to be pretty well priced for what I am looking for, they appear to have some detail and most are in good condition. I am not so sure about bachmann, specially the older models. I think I am looking for a 2-8-0 or 2-8-2, I have 18 inch curves, so I thinkk these might work. I was hoping to pick one up for about $50.00 or so, I know that is not alot of money but it is what I have to work with.

Thanks
Scott

I think an older model Bachmann will be a gamble, unless you are prepared to do some tinkering. Also, there are a couple different motors used in them, so buying two will not guarantee the right parts. Also, the same stuff wears out first, so maybe not a good idea.

To qualify that, I did get one like new for $20.00, but I have purchased four and was able to make 2 that work. Since I posted my repair videos, I noticed that the price of them has gone up. One of the 2-8-0 that I got on ebay turned out free, since the seller did not describe the model honestly and gave me a full refund, also, I got to keep it. That one is running now.

When it comes to steam, if possible, buy new or plan on tinkering. lasm

A Bachmann Spectrum Consolidation would work for you. They are excellent running locomotives and will handle a tight radius. Detail on them are also good.

attachment.php

Number 189 in the rear is the Bachmann, 184 is a brass model.

Thanks lasm, I appreciate the info. I was not real sure about any bachmann stuff but I thought I would ask. I saw some videos on you tube with some IHC locomotives, they seem to work pretty well but like you said, you never know when you buy used. I will keep looking and see what I can find. Thanks again for the reply.

Scott

Thanks montanan, I appreciate the info. I have very little knowledge on steam, so anything is helpfull. Nice looking locomotives you have there.

thanks
Scott

I have had some bachmann 2-8-0's that won't make 18 inch turns, but some that will. I would invest in an Athearn Genesis 2-8-2, or even a Roundhouse old timer 2-8-0. Even a Bachmann spectrum 4-6-0 or one of their newer 2-6-0's would be great! Enjoy!

The little consolidation in the picture is a very smooth running locomotive and pulls well for a steam locomotive. In many cases steamers don't pull as well as diesels. If I were to need another, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. This locomotive does well in fairly tight turns in industrial areas.

Thanks southern154, this is all good info, I would hate to spend what little money I have on the wrong thing. Thank you again.

Scott

For sure, the last one is your best bet, I have an Athearn Genesis 2-8-2, and it is a FANTASTIC engine!!!!!! The IHC 2-8-0 at the top is a good runner, but bulky and out of proportion, and the 2 in-between I would not touch with a 10 ft pole. I would try for the unlettered 2-8-2, you can customize it to your delight. (I did mine as 4501). The athearn 2-8-2 runs very smooth on 18" turns, the drivers have a lot of give to them, the bachmann 2-8-0 is stiff on 18" turns, and it does tend to slow down. But i would recommend the athearn light 2-8-2, great engine all around.

Last edited by a moderator:
The IHC stuff is OK bang for the buck. They also do a nice 2-6-0 if you can find one. I would not go much larger than a 2-8-0 on 18" radius curves. A heavy mike would be too large. It would navigate the curve but overhang too much! I would second Montanan's recommendation on the Spectrum 2-8-0 or their 4-6-0. Both good models and can be found at decent prices.

Southern154,
Thanks for the info on these, it is always hard to tell by the pics and the description. Thanks for your help.

Scott

Alan, thanks for the info. I am still new to model railroading and have a lot to learn. I would hate to make a mistake in buying junk and wasting what little money we have. Thanks again for your help.

Scott

Don't have any experience with the Athearn. Sounds like a good one. If you can find a Mantua 2-8-2 or 4-6-2, they run well on 18" radius. The last production of the Pacifics had the gear boxes instead of the earlier direct drive and open-frame motors, and possibly even DCC & sound. The open frame motors can be replaced with can motors and you may be able to get gear boxes from Yardbird Classics.

I'll second the mention of recent Bachmann 2-6-0. Mine came with dcc and sound, handles 18" no problem, runs good. Only thing I did was add weight to the leading truck.

Hey guys,
I ended up buying an IHC 2-8-0 undecorated from e bay, I know it probably is not the most realistic but it was in my small budget. I hope to wheather and make it look somewhat nice. I will put up some pics when it arrives this week.

Thanks
Scott

Hey guys,
I ended up buying an IHC 2-8-0 undecorated from e bay, I know it probably is not the most realistic but it was in my small budget. I hope to wheather and make it look somewhat nice. I will put up some pics when it arrives this week.

Thanks
Scott

Rule #1: It's YOUR railroad. It only has to make YOU happy. :D

I've seen the IHC 2-8-0. With a little weathering and maybe some added detail it will do nicely, and the 2-8-0 was a very popular wheel arrangement on most US railroads.

Rule #2: Never apologize for your models. See rule #1. ;)

Thanks Alan, I hope it comes out nice, I purchased some Southern Pacific decals for it. I hope to find some good photos of some old locomotives so I can get it wheathered properly. Thanks again.

Scott

Back