Steam Engine, First Layer of Weathering

When doing a steam engine I usually follow the dullcote with a thin tan acrylic wash (acrylic paint mixed with water and a small drop of dish soap). After that dries I dry brush rust, also acrylic, though sometimes I use testers enamel. The wheels and rods get a "very" light coat of both a dusty tan and a grimy rust color. I usually do that upside down on a foam cradle with the wheels turning. The last thing I do is to drybrush the details on the whole model with a light almost white tan, make sure your brush is very dry for this because a little goes a long way.

When doing a steam engine I usually follow the dullcote with a thin tan acrylic wash (acrylic paint mixed with water and a small drop of dish soap). After that dries I dry brush rust, also acrylic, though sometimes I use testers enamel. The wheels and rods get a "very" light coat of both a dusty tan and a grimy rust color. I usually do that upside down on a foam cradle with the wheels turning. The last thing I do is to drybrush the details on the whole model with a light almost white tan, make sure your brush is very dry for this because a little goes a long way.

Well sh*t..... I should send you my Specktrum 2-10-2 USRA light loco and tender so you can weather it for me. Cause that looks really good.

Re: "I don't know where to go from here"

Well, Jim, just step back and look at how much you improved it with what you've already done! You could stop right there.

Thanks for the comments, guys. Dortoh, that is one beautiful job. I will try to end up with (hopefully) something like that.

Back