starting 5x6 or 4x8 layout

true, however i would remove the shortcut loop through the center and replace it with industry spur perhaps.

All three plans have serious shortcomings. The third plan has some potential, but I would remove the center loop and the entire inside section of double track, leaving sidings where it now shows crossovers. You'll have a lot more room for a small yard and some industrial spurs. The impulse to do double track lines on 4x8's is great, but the results are usually not very rewarding.

A train running on a track 4 inches from another track does not do much for the enjoyment of a layout. But change what the train does in terms of how it functions, including the pick-up and delivery of goods and raw materials, and all of a sudden you have a railroad that can grow with you.

I'd suggest reading my article, "The Beginner's Guide to Layout Design." It will take you all of ten minutes but when you are done, you just might be asking yourself the right questions. Click below.

Probably just stating the obvious here, but a 4' by 8' layout has a big advantage in that sheets of plywood are readily available in that size. Really nice to just buy one piece and work with it as is. A sheet of plywood isn't super easy to cut (especially straight) unless you are an experienced woodworker with a workshop.

Probably just stating the obvious here, but a 4' by 8' layout has a big advantage in that sheets of plywood are readily available in that size. Really nice to just buy one piece and work with it as is. A sheet of plywood isn't super easy to cut (especially straight) unless you are an experienced woodworker with a workshop.

True, except that most big box lumber stores will cut them to any dimension on their big jigs. If you do a little planning, it is easier to transport, easier to carry, easier to get into your house, and easier to work with if you have them pre-cut.

I'm not saying don't go with with a 4 x8. Some people like to think in that box. But not being able to cut it is not a limitation you need, if you plan it out.

FYI on my site I have the results of two different layout contests. One is 4 x 8 layouts. The other is a sheet of plywood (cut any way you want but limited to a single sheet) layouts.

Layout Design Contests

True, except that most big box lumber stores will cut them to any dimension on their big jigs. If you do a little planning, it is easier to transport, easier to carry, easier to get into your house, and easier to work with if you have them pre-cut.

I'm not saying don't go with with a 4 x8. Some people like to think in that box. But not being able to cut it is not a limitation you need, if you plan it out.

FYI on my site I have the results of two different layout contests. One is 4 x 8 layouts. The other is a sheet of plywood (cut any way you want but limited to a single sheet) layouts.

Layout Design Contests

I have never had plywood cut at the store, but that is an excellent idea. I'm sure their saws would be able to cut down even a 3/4 inch sheet of plywood perfectly and easily.

Back