Start building HO scale or switch to N scale in a 3 meter x 2 meter room (9.8 x 6.5 feet)

Greg_Railroader

Hello there,

I am new on the forum and an almost newbie railroader. I would like to have your advice as I am rather lost to what I should do no to regret wrong initial choices... that could cause diappointment and potentially cost a lot of money.

Since I was a kid, I wanted to build a "great" layout and I though I would stay with HO scale and so I bought a few set of tracks once and a while over the years...

Finally got my own place and an available dedicated space of 3 meters x 2 meters (9.8*6.5 feet) in the basement. Started to layout the Märklin C-rails I have accumulated and was surprised how few I could lay down...

My wishlist in a model railroad is:
- I want bridges and tunnels (and mountains)
- 2 "main" stations where trains consisting of locomotive + 3 pasenger cars could stop, one or more smaller stations
- a continuous layout
- a multi-level layout (with the mountains)
- some switching operations to make trains run different routes and operations in the stations
- double track as main line

Here you find an unfinished sketch (in scarm) to give you an idea of the space and number of tracks that could be layout in HO scale with the C-tracks I have.

1695146528951.png

Indepently of the scale, I would build a bridge to make trains run around the room, that can be folded away somehow to pass. As you can see, I use curved switches to win some space on both sides... pushing it to the limits.

At this stage, I have the feeling there are too many rails already and still some are missing for it to be interesting to me... off course the scenery is missing, which might give me a wrong impression.
I tried an N-layout in scarm and no doubt offers more possibilities.
Although I prefer to stay with HO (used to it, no need to sell and & replace everything, N-scale seems some less detailed).
So that's my dilema... staying with HO and make compromises or switch to N scale and have more possibilities.

Does anyone have the same available space as I?
Do you have layout ideas in HO to make it work or more interesting?
What would you do? Continue in HO or switch to N-scale?

Thanks for your thoughts and advices, would be really helpfull

Greg

Hello there,

I am new on the forum and an almost newbie railroader. I would like to have your advice as I am rather lost to what I should do no to regret wrong initial choices... that could cause diappointment and potentially cost a lot of money.

Since I was a kid, I wanted to build a "great" layout and I though I would stay with HO scale and so I bought a few set of tracks once and a while over the years...

Finally got my own place and an available dedicated space of 3 meters x 2 meters (9.8*6.5 feet) in the basement. Started to layout the Märklin C-rails I have accumulated and was surprised how few I could lay down...

- 2 "main" stations where trains consisting of locomotive + 3 pasenger cars could stop, one or more smaller stations
- a continuous layout
- some switching operations to make trains run different routes and operations in the stations

Here you find an unfinished sketch (in scarm) to give you an idea of the space and number of tracks that could be layout in HO scale with the C-tracks I have.

View attachment 174269

Indepently of the scale, I would build a bridge to make trains run around the room, that can be folded away somehow to pass. As you can see, I use curved switches to win some space on both sides... pushing it to the limits.

At this stage, I have the feeling there are too many rails already and still some are missing for it to be interesting to me... off course the scenery is missing, which might give me a wrong impression.
Although I prefer to stay with HO (used to it, no need to sell and & replace everything, N-scale seems some less detailed).
So that's my dilema... staying with HO and make compromises or switch to N scale and have more possibilities.

Greg
Nobody answering so here is my opinion:

If you are not too deep into HO scale and want to see a train run down the track (as opposed to switching) I would lean toward N scale. My room is 11 x 12 and I am HO and feel like my layout is small. However, due to my era and already have many HO buildings, etc. that I have decided to be content with what I have.

Dave LASM

Nobody answering so here is my opinion:

If you are not too deep into HO scale and want to see a train run down the track (as opposed to switching) I would lean toward N scale. My room is 11 x 12 and I am HO and feel like my layout is small. However, due to my era and already have many HO buildings, etc. that I have decided to be content with what I have.

Dave LASM
Agree with Dave. Although in my case I tried N scale about 15 years ago and found that it is too tiny for me to do anything with it. I have crappy eyes and fat fingers. HO is getting that way also, but like the OP I already have a ton of HO stuff collected over the years and don't want to part with it. I found headsets that magnify stuff just right so that makes it easier.

Later

Hello there,

- a continuous layout

View attachment 174269

Greg

Hi Greg. Welcome to the Forum.
An interesting wishlist and trackplan.

The only advice I offer to anyone regarding trackplans etc. is ----

Make sure the layout can be operated, without complication, by one operator.
I have seen many layouts broken up because of over complication for one operator.

Have easy access to all parts of the layout.
Locomotives love to stop/derail/whatever in the most difficult areas. Track cleaning in awkward areas does stop model railroaders enjoying the hobby. As does overstretching to areas.

Pad the underneath of any duckunders.
They hurt. (Been there.)

Keep it Fun.
No matter the layout. No matter your main interest on the layout, (trackwork, electronics, scenery, whatever). Keep it fun. Things will go wrong. Things will go right. No matter what happens, Model Railroading is a great way of finding out you can do things you thought were impossible.

It is not a race.
You are in your own timeframe. Many great layouts have taken years to be built.

Model Railroading is a Hobby.
Treat it as such. The rewards far outweigh some other hobbies. It is something to be enjoyed.

Thanks a lot for your replies. I'll keep your advices in mind.

Regarding the scale, I decided to order a N scale starter set to see it for myself. If it's detailed enough, I probably would switch to N. Otherwise I can send it back and keep my HO stuff.

I'll keep things like it's a hobby, building is part of the pleasure and not a race in mind... maybe start a little smaller and extending it bit by bit.

The accessibility to all tracks is a very important element I didn't think of. I'll have to adjust my train table to a structure with removable parts.

Greg

Last edited:
Hi again everyone, I received the N scale starter set... and will I switch to N scale?

cons:
N seems so fragile... more difficult to handle and maybe we might enjoy it less when our sight would get worse in future as ctclibby stated. I totally agree. I took some pictures to compare to HO scale. HO looks huge just next to it.

You might get the feeling I would prefer to stay in HO scale, and you would be right... in a larger hobbyroom.

Pros:
You might have guessed I'll switch to N scale. At least trains can be have more wagons and be more realistic and stop in different stations around the track. HO would have been a big oval or one a big switching area (ok I'm a bit exaggerating...). I want to see them running around the scenery with variations of different track possibilities.
I'll get used to the new size :), I'm pretty convinced it will be more interesting and fun for me. And that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Greg

Attachments

• 20230921_185356.jpg
    20230921_185356.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230921_185412.jpg
    20230921_185412.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 35
This debate ran through my head for months when I decided to get back into the hobby. I decided on N due to being able to do more in a smaller space. I’m currently looking at how to make a functioning layout using a dresser that can fold down into a desk.

Back