ST bulkhead flat weathering

TLOC

3AE89DC2-6BED-4BFA-BE5A-DB7556D84E67.jpeg

I pulled out a couple F68AH Bulkhead Flats from the drawer of rolling stock that has not seen the tracks on the layout. That changed this morning. Did my initial check of gauging the wheels, weighing the car and checking how it rolls. These 2 Flats were pre-ordered from ST and have been in the drawer since shipment was received. Hit the car with some dull cote and let it dry.

After dinner tonight I grabbed the pan pastels and hit the separately applied wood flooring and the raised metal ribs of the floor. Did this to both cars.
9813950E-86D6-4605-B0FB-6C39AF96DE54.jpeg

test fitted the flooring to make sure they fit right
C29AEBFA-5E45-4718-B88F-B33E36596FB5.jpeg

then I walked away.

I did not spray the dull cote after applying the Pan Pastels. I am trying to keep the car itself fairly clean but showing that this car works. Built in 1991and with my time frame of 2005, it is not a rust bucket. Letting it sit overnight.

TomO

View attachment 136864
I pulled out a couple F68AH Bulkhead Flats from the drawer of rolling stock that has not seen the tracks on the layout. That changed this morning. Did my initial check of gauging the wheels, weighing the car and checking how it rolls. These 2 Flats were pre-ordered from ST and have been in the drawer since shipment was received. Hit the car with some dull cote and let it dry.

After dinner tonight I grabbed the pan pastels and hit the separately applied wood flooring and the raised metal ribs of the floor. Did this to both cars.
View attachment 136866
test fitted the flooring to make sure they fit right
View attachment 136867
then I walked away.

I did not spray the dull cote after applying the Pan Pastels. I am trying to keep the car itself fairly clean but showing that this car works. Built in 1991and with my time frame of 2005, it is not a rust bucket. Letting it sit overnight.

TomO

I do not own any Scale trains products as of yet. Did those floor planks come with it or did you buy a proprietary product and applied them? Looks fantastic....I have seen people do great work on the MDC/Roundhouse kits and make them realistic as well. But these cars look great!

I do not own any Scale trains products as of yet. Did those floor planks come with it or did you buy a proprietary product and applied them? Looks fantastic....I have seen people do great work on the MDC/Roundhouse kits and make them realistic as well. But these cars look great!
James, thanks for the comment. The floor planks were part of the package from ST.

TomO

I maybe 15 minutes ago finished my search for pictures of the prototype version of the ST bulk flat. I don’t know what I did on my last search a couple days ago, but …

When you put in the builders name, years the car was built and that it’s a bulkhead flat, I received 74 hits at RailcarPhotos.com. I kept 31 pictures to use as references for weathering and the type of loads to model. I will whittle that down some more cancelling out duplicate types of loads.

example from RailcarPhotos.com, the photographer is noted as Steven Vincent, taken 1/30/2013 in San Diego, Ca. The car was build 7/1974 and for 39 years old at the time the picture was taken it is in great shape.
32E5D1FC-FEE0-4938-8867-5265C4FBC151.jpeg
I am very happy I was able to find a great series of photos showing exactly what I want to model. Neither car number of course that I have showed up in any pictures.

TomO

Back