Spray bottle for glue?

I made my own scenic glue that is 40% water, 40% glue and 20% rubbing alcohol. I bought an empty spray bottle from Home Depot and unfortunately, the bottle squirts the glue very hard and not as mists of glue. The strong current of glue being expelled is washing away the scenic foam turf in my scenery. Are there any spray bottles that spray water as a mist, and not a hard squirt?

I made my own scenic glue that is 40% water, 40% glue and 20% rubbing alcohol. I bought an empty spray bottle from Home Depot and unfortunately, the bottle squirts the glue very hard and not as mists of glue. The strong current of glue being expelled is washing away the scenic foam turf in my scenery. Are there any spray bottles that spray water as a mist, and not a hard squirt?
You would need a refillable atomiser, that sprays a fine mist. (ask the other half, she may have an empty one somewhere)

I tried spraying glue. I couldn't get it to cooperate at all! Now I just use a glass medicine dropper I got from the local drug store. Much better control, and the glue comes out well.

I use a non aerosol (pump) hairspray bottle. It sprays a nice mist, perfect for doing ballast and landscape. That said I spray water with a couple of drops dish soap to break the surface tension of the ballast. I then pour the Elmers and water 50/50 mix on. the ground foam in the forground was done the same way.
IMG_5981.jpg
IMG_5980.jpg

The empty spray bottle from HD should be a fairly decent, commercial-grade spray bottle. The main problem is, you're using too strong of a glue mixture. Try cutting back to no more than maybe 16% glue or so (1 part glue to 5 parts water/alcohol), and perhaps even lighter - maybe 10%~12% glue at most. Personally, I just use Elmer's glue and "Wet Water" (water with a few drops of dish washing detergent per quart), without any alcohol. At any rate, dilute your current mix with more water in order to thin the mixture out, and it should start spraying much better.

Note: you might try carefully misting pure wet water on your scenic foam turf first, before spraying on the glue mixture. This should help hold it in place so the glue spray doesn't tend to blow/wash it away. Once the first scenic coat is applied and allowed to dry, you should be able to skip the wetting down procedure for any subsequent scenery/turf applications over the same area.

Give it a try and see if this helps.

I never spray glue.

I make a spray of water, a little alcohol and a couple drops of dish soap. I make a glue mix of 50-60% water (you can make part of that alcohol if you want) and the rest white glue. I put that is a ketchup/mustard dispenser (the diner type squeeze bottle).

I put down the foam or ballast, spray the water over it to wet it. Ballast I soak more than foam. Then I dribble the glue mix on the damp foam/ballast. Much more control than spraying glue everywhere.

I never spray glue.

I make a spray of water, a little alcohol and a couple drops of dish soap. I make a glue mix of 50-60% water (you can make part of that alcohol if you want) and the rest white glue. I put that is a ketchup/mustard dispenser (the diner type squeeze bottle).

I put down the foam or ballast, spray the water over it to wet it. Ballast I soak more than foam. Then I dribble the glue mix on the damp foam/ballast. Much more control than spraying glue everywhere.
For ballasting track, your method is basically what I use, less the alcohol. It's the perfect method for ballasting, in my opinion.

For vast expanses of ground turf on the landscape, I prefer spraying. I'm not so much interested in fine control as I am in quick results for this portion of scenic'ing work. Besides, if done properly, nothing will get messed up.

Handy tip......... Do your ballasting and/or ground turf scenic'ing the last thing before you call it a night. Set up a fan nearby to gently blow air over the area before going to bed. When you get up in the morning, the landscaped area should totally dry. Ballast usually is, too. But if not, it will be much further along than if a fan wasn't used.

I find it better to use the spray bottle as a dropper. If you open the nozzle up it will dribble rather than spray, by using the trigger carefully you can target single drops.
If you put some Isoprop alcohol down first (using an empty perfume or aftershave bottle is perfect for a gentle alcohol mist) to wet the area before dropping the glue. The alcohol film will disperse that drop of your mix to a much larger area than you think.

PS be sure to wash out perfume bottle well first unless you want your layout smelling like a Boudoir 😂

Can you turn the nozzle to adjust the spray pattern? Try it. Most are adjustable.

Back