Speed Matching an Intermountain ES44AC with a Kato

CP9524

I recently purchased an HO sound equipped Intermountain ES44AC. For past while I've been trying to synchronize this unit with my many non-sound Kato AC4400CWs, so I can run it in a consist, but to no avail. Currently the Intermountain unit is much faster than the Katos and takes off from them.

I printed off the manual for the SoundTraxx Tsunami decoder and have tried a few different things. I've tried adjusting the Vstart, and acceleration rate, both of which provide little results. Then I've tried the different speed curves that have already been programmed in the decoder, and then I even tried creating my own speed curves (and adjusting CV 25 and 29 accordingly), with still nothing really favourable happening. So for a test I set the first 10 speed steps to zero, and the unit still moves right away. Clearly I'm doing something wrong or forgetting a setting. I will admit I haven't had much experience with this, as all my other locos could be speed matched by just adjusting CV2, CV5, and CV6.

I'm using a Digitrax Super Empire Builder with a DT400 throttle.

So has anyone been successful in speed matching a Sound equipped Intermountian ES44AC with a non-sound equipped Kato AC4400s?

I recently purchased an HO sound equipped Intermountain ES44AC. For past while I've been trying to synchronize this unit with my many non-sound Kato AC4400CWs, so I can run it in a consist, but to no avail. Currently the Intermountain unit is much faster than the Katos and takes off from them.

I printed off the manual for the SoundTraxx Tsunami decoder and have tried a few different things. I've tried adjusting the Vstart, and acceleration rate, both of which provide little results. Then I've tried the different speed curves that have already been programmed in the decoder, and then I even tried creating my own speed curves (and adjusting CV 25 and 29 accordingly), with still nothing really favourable happening. So for a test I set the first 10 speed steps to zero, and the unit still moves right away. Clearly I'm doing something wrong or forgetting a setting. I will admit I haven't had much experience with this, as all my other locos could be speed matched by just adjusting CV2, CV5, and CV6.

I'm using a Digitrax Super Empire Builder with a DT400 throttle.

So has anyone been successful in speed matching a Sound equipped Intermountian ES44AC with a non-sound equipped Kato AC4400s?

I fooled around with this today myself, trying to speed match a Kato AC4400 and Intermountain ES44AC both with Tsunamis. No luck. The IM is faster despite changing both CVs.
Will continue working on it.

bigB,
How are you trying to speed match them?
Using what and setting what CV's?

bigB,
How are you trying to speed match them?
Using what and setting what CV's?

Basically by Programming on the Main both locomotives. I tried to keep one at factory defaults and then change CV 2,5, & 6. So far not much luck. I also changed the factory speed table on the IM ES44, but ultimately changed it be back to default. The speeds arent horrible, only noticable when they are consisted together when the Kato gets pulled or pushed up or down my 2% grade on the layout. Probably not good for the locomotive long term.

Brad

Speed matching on the main, using JMRI is very easy. You can open up 2 screens to accomplish this. Just working with the start, mid and top speed bars, you can match them very close. Finer matching can then be accomplished with the full speed table screen.

Trying to adjust a loco's CV's with the throttle alone is such a pain, no matter the brand, that I do it all with JMRI.

Speed matching on the main, using JMRI is very easy. You can open up 2 screens to accomplish this. Just working with the start, mid and top speed bars, you can match them very close. Finer matching can then be accomplished with the full speed table screen.

Trying to adjust a loco's CV's with the throttle alone is such a pain, no matter the brand, that I do it all with JMRI.

Carey,

Thanks for the pointers on JMRI. Yep, I think its time I joined the 21st century on programming. I just watched a few videos on Youtube to see what Ill need. Looks like fun.

Brad

Carey,

Thanks for the pointers on JMRI. Yep, I think its time I joined the 21st century on programming. I just watched a few videos on Youtube to see what Ill need. Looks like fun.

Brad

I use a Digitrax PR-3, and a programming booster from Soundtraxx. I have also a separate power supply of 12 volts going to the PR-3. This allows the PR-3 to be a stand alone programer. I have a separate programming track, completely separated from the layout, but by using a Loconet cable connected to the layout, I can program on the main line.:D

Another real good programmer is the Locobuffer USB. I have been using both of these for a few years. Now I just use the PR-3, due to my sweet grandson,(who is 3yo) pouring a glass of Sprite into the Locobuffer:(. It is shorted out now, and haven't had a chance to get it returned to the company to get it fixed. While I can repair just about any locomotive or car that needs it, electronic circuits are all just things with pretty lines on a piece of circuit board to me.;)

I'm going to pick up a NCE USB Interface Board next time I put together a decent size DCC order, which should be any day now. :D

I have an old laptop that will be perfect for the job and a section of track I have isolated for just a purpose.

Brad

Good for you! I would go to here,

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jmri/?source=directory

and download. ITS FREE!!!

Read the website, as this program has been involved in Federal Court concerning copyrights. It was an extremely important case, and has set a precedent. It makes very interesting reading!

But you can also go ahead and look it over and until the interface arrives you can actually play with the program and see how easy it is to use. Since I've been using the program, I don't even program using the throttle anymore. It comes in very handy when programming a Tsunami. The Tsunami has some special motor controls that are hard to program on a throttle, but the programming on JMRI is very easy.

I agree. Without JMRI programming I would be lost. Its very easy to use.

It has speed tables you can use for the Tsunami, and it has sliders that can be adjusted in order to speed match locos.

Another great thing about JMRI. Is it saves each locos settings, so if you have to reset a decoder back to defaults, then its easy to recover all the settings.

That's all great info guys. Ive known about JRMI for several years now, but just thought I could do without it. But now, with 11 Tsunamis and 5 more on the way, its getting harder and harder to speed match locos. Throw in some sound and non-sound units from different manufacturers and different decoders and, well, it has gotten complicated...

Brad

JMRI will also let you keep a roster of all your engines, for quick future adjustments.
I think you will find that programming Soundtraxx decoders with JMRI is much easier. You will also be able to get the decoder sounding even better, Check out the EQ and reverb settings!;)

Back