Speaking of roads

Davidfd85

I'm at a crossroads right now. I have been reading and watching videos about building roads for HO scale layouts. I've seen the Smooth-it, plaster, joint compound and other materials used. What I'm thinking about is going with is the thinned down premixed joint compound. I also looked at the Woodland road tape but really don't like the thickness of it, to me it just looks to thick. I think I can make my own screed from some balsa a little thinner more thickness correct.
What I really need to know is am I thinking right, going in the right direction? Is there going to be any major draw backs from using the joint compound?
Thanks for any help and info :D

Most people seem to think the paving tape is too thin, lol. I went that route myself, Smooth It and WS paving tape. Very happy with the results. Tried the plaster once before with bad results, cracking, etc.

That's what I thought, the paving tape was a little too thin.

But the smooth-it is a little bit flexible, not brittle at all. Which I think the patching plaster might be?

Hi. I am a big fan of Arizona Rock's concrete roadway in the bag. Mix it with thinned elmer's glue. If you want blacktop, you can dye it with powdered tempura. Mix brown and black, then mix the rock powder to the darkness you want. Or you can use latex acrylics for color. Any water color base! India ink!

To smooth it, use a wall paper roller found at the hardware outlet. It's a wooden roller about 1-1/2 in wide, about $2.99. You pour the product, smooth with a plastic pallet knife or flat stick, and then roll (like a steamroller) to the right consistency/ smoothness. Setup takes awhile. The road is paintable and stripe ready, and you can remove it like you would ballast-- water and scraper.
View attachment 28739
View attachment 28740
We haven't cracked ours even while moving modules.

Last edited by a moderator:
black wet/dry sandpaper. seriously. a fine grit like 800 will be rather smooth and look like asphalt.

black wet/dry sandpaper. seriously. a fine grit like 800 will be rather smooth and look like asphalt.

He is right, I remembered this being mentioned before and I went to home depot to get some stuff for benchwork and decided to check it out. It really has me tempted, minus the price. If you read this motley, do you think the automotive pinstriping would stick to sandpaper? I know you used it on your roads and they looked really impressive.

Back