Speaking of Henry Ford...

AllenB

Did he ever put the Ford script on any of the trains operated by him? I saw a hopper on ebay once with "FORD" in script written across the side. It was in an athearn 3 pack. I wonder if someone just didn't put the decal on the side for kicks.

A diesel (Alco, centercab iirc) used by them had a chrome grill and logo, circa 1930s. the 1st Diesel Spotter's Guide has a pic.

A diesel (Alco, centercab iirc) used by them had a chrome grill and logo, circa 1930s. the 1st Diesel Spotter's Guide has a pic.

Yes and if you look at the grille you will see a strong resemblance to the grille of a 1937 Ford car. Not a coincidence I'm sure.

A search of the web site for The Henry Ford Museum or Greenfield Village ( a part of the Henry Ford Museum complex ) should turn up something relative to his RR and RR equip. Wish I had a link to post but I don't, sorry.

would post a scan but it is copyrighted...so a description will have to suffice:

(it's GE, 1937, btw)

Ford #1000, a GE centercab, 1000hp and twin #1001, B-B. Identical units followed 1002-1004, in 1939; 1006-1007, in 1940. power was 2@6 cyl2CB-GN6, total 1000hp.

ford.jpg

Well, that's an interesting little engine.

Henry ford owned the DT&I from 1920-29 he was going to electrify it. He started putting cantenaries up some that still stand today

check ot the the book

Henry Ford: When I ran the railroads

Heres some pics of the cantenaries that still standand info about the railroad

http://detroit1701.org/Henry Ford's Electric Railroad.html

I do believe the ford hoppers are a real thing

I thought about getting some just for the heck of it to spot at a powerhouse a general motors powerhouse!!! LOL

About 5-10 years ago could be a little longer overland made that ford centercab switcher in HO

Later,

Devlyn

One of the Ford SW1500's seems to be in Kansas:
Railpictures

James

Somethings not right here. Maybe the locomotive you showed us was some kind of plant switcher, but i dont think its related to the locomotives they are talking about in this thread. If Henry Ford owned the railway from 1920-29, it doesnt make sense he would have an SW1200, as they were not made until 1954.

For a photo of Ford hoppers - go to the Atlas forum under "Proto Photos" in the HO section. There is a string of hoppers lettered FORD as per the old Champ Decals from an old photo.

This is on the 3/17 listing.

... so it could be possible Ford owned rail cars...

Its a lot more than possible. His cars ran from his mines to his plants.

According to the January 1943 ORER, reporting marks FRDX, at the start of the year Ford owned 21 Tank Cars, 694 Hoppers, (these were 81' 11" long, with a cubic capacity of 1880 cubic feet, with a weight loaded of 110,000lbs.)
Ford also owned 67 Gondolas, (outside length of 88', cubic capacity of 880 cubic feet, loaded weight of 100,000 lbs).
I double checked the listing with a magnifying glass in case I misread.

When these were sold off or scrapped I don't know. The next ORER I have is for October, 1960, and by then there is no listing at all for any FRDX cars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back