Speaking of Ebay, man some people have lost it!!!

I find it pays to go on when some big / huge event like a sporting event is taking place when the items you fancy are due to finnish, you can get a good deal as most people are glued to the TV

Not me, I have a TV next to my PC with the auction up. Finger poised to hit 'send'.... :D

But, I've won my share of snipes and lost my share of snipes. Disappointing when you lose, but I'm to the point now that I can see both sides, and it doesn't bother me like the first few times I lost to the sniper.

The guy I felt some bit of sorrow for was the guy who's snipe bid was under my snipe bid, and time ran out before he could 're-snipe'.....

:D

Kennedy

I just place one bid for the top price I'm willing to pay for an item. I either get it at or below that price or someone else thinks it's worth more and they get it. The few times I've gotten involved in last minutes sniping, I've almost always ended up paying more than the item was really worth.

Well when I was at it I was a 100% auction sniper, didn't take long to develop my method. Only lost 2 because the bids were higher than I wanted to go.
When sniping I always bid my maximum (items and shipping were considered)
My greatest achievement was for five consecutive auctions, listed by the same seller (very short period between each). Best snipe time was one second to auction close. The sniping was heavy on the first 2 and I got the next 3 for a song. Came in well under my maximum $$ allowance for all 5 locos. Actually it was quite thrilling and I don't think I'll ever top the high I got from it.
I imagine the other snipes thought they were bidding against a lunatic and gave up after the 2nd, third was not too bad fourth and fifth were all mine.
Try it you'll get to like it :)

Cheers Willis

Their ad even includes my favorite word when it comes to computer assistance.....FREE :D

Well when I was at it I was a 100% auction sniper, didn't take long to develop my method. Only lost 2 because the bids were higher than I wanted to go.
When sniping I always bid my maximum (items and shipping were considered)
My greatest achievement was for five consecutive auctions, listed by the same seller (very short period between each). Best snipe time was one second to auction close. The sniping was heavy on the first 2 and I got the next 3 for a song. Came in well under my maximum $$ allowance for all 5 locos. Actually it was quite thrilling and I don't think I'll ever top the high I got from it.
I imagine the other snipes thought they were bidding against a lunatic and gave up after the 2nd, third was not too bad fourth and fifth were all mine.
Try it you'll get to like it :)

Cheers Willis

I guess that everyone gets their rush a little different than others. ;)

You're basically a chipper, trying to find what the max bid is. Those are the auctions where there's only two bidders, but 36 bids. 35 of them are from the same guy. Nothing wrong with it, it looks funny, but if you're an eBay veteran, you take it for what it's worth (not a whole lot, but now you know the mentality of the chipper).

As far as Willis' sniping high, there is the satisfaction of doing something a bit unusual and having it turn out as the winning strategy. On th flip side, there are others with their own winning strategies which could bounce yours, so it evens out eventually. Win a few, lose a few.

Kennedy

On th flip side, there are others with their own winning strategies which could bounce yours, so it evens out eventually. Win a few, lose a few.
Ah! how true. That brings to mind one auction I lost out on and darned if I could figure it out. In the last minutes waiting it out, two windows open one set with my max bid (plenty $$ over current bid) the other window monitoring the auction by page refreshing. 2 seconds to go and I confirmed my bid. I lost to a bid higher than mine that was placed 3 hours before mine. Impossible you say, but it happened, not only had it happened, but my bid was accepted. Somebody had a system I sure can't figure out. I saved the pages to the HD but that was some time ago and I lost interest and did a HD cleanup.

Cheers Willis

Willis - the other person who won over you with a bid three hours earlier just used eBay's proxy bidding. He bid is highest amount, which was higher than your last one. His bid was automatic by eBay, it goes up the amount of the bid increment.

I haven't bought much on eBay, being mostly a seller since 1999. Sniped a few times, lost a few times too. As a seller I really liked to watch sniping going on as the auction was ending. Satisfied with the current high bid, then refreshing the browser window every 5 seconds or so and seeing the amount going up and up and up - yippee! A few times the final amount doubled or tripled in the last few seconds. Loved it! Especially when the Canadian dollar was low compared to the US dollar, I'd get a lot more from the auction that way too.

Made my biggest eBay buy just recently, a 75-300mm image satbilized zoom lens for my Canon DSLR. They sell for around $800.00 locally, plus the 13% tax, way beyond my interest and means. Followed auctions for lenses for several months, being amazed at what people were paying for used lenses - the are available new from B&H in New York for around $550.00; many auctions were quite a bit above this, one was for around $950.00!! Go figure, guess a few guys got into a bidding war.

I noticed some auctions started fairly high didn't get any bids at all, others with low starting amounts did quite well. One had a single $400.00 bid near closing time, I bid $405.00 and got it! Best of all the seller was also in Canada, so I didn't have to pay the tax that is collected on imported parcels!

Fun while it lasted!

Willis - the other person who won over you with a bid three hours earlier just used eBay's proxy bidding. He bid is highest amount, which was higher than your last one. His bid was automatic by eBay, it goes up the amount of the bid increment.
Ah! So! thanks Bob, that clears up the mystery for me. Not really a problem as I had bid my best, but the posted times had me confused, guess I just never considered the proxy voting.
Yep as a seller when the $ was low times were good. There was sniping on a steel guitar that went to a guy in NY for $1000. Had it for quite some time, bought it and an amplifier back in 1960 for $35, inflation I guess :D

Cheers Willis

And, as I've said, just bid the highest amount you're willing to pay and go on about your business. I've violated my own rule a few times and always ended up paying more than I should have. As long as my first bid is the highest, all the snipers in the world won't win and they'll waste a lot of time trying. As long as you know the value of the item, either to yourself or the market value, it shouldn't be a problem making one bid that's the highest you're willing to pay under any circumstances. I'll bet at least 75% of my wins have been under my maximum bid.

I've lost a few by proxy, but over the weekend, I won one with a next to last minute snipe. The loser tried to snipe back, but their bid was less than my max, and they didn't have time to drop another one.....

Kennedy

I had just won 9 amtrak superliners on ebay and I over payed on Shipping. The guy just offered eather a refund or three more superliners. Sounds fair to me so i opted for the other superliners. So that will bring the count up to 12 superliners. Not to bad of a deal which is about 15 dollars a car. However I just have one Genisis engine to pull them with. I guess I will have to get another engine.

Back