SP Modelers opinions please

GAPPLEG

SP modeler
Just stripped down an Atlas S-2 , should I paint it in the black and orange tiger stripe or the classic grey and red ? I like both and am looking for a concensus vote.

I'd go for the tiger stripe type paint scheme any day but you are, of course, limiting your era. That paint scheme was pretty much gone by 1962 but the S-2's remained in service in some numbers in red a gray until the late 90's. The nice thing about the S-2 is that they never got the SP light clusters that most other engines got all the way to end so that makes them a little easier to model.

Yeah , I agree with the assessment about era, but I do paint on a whim more than worrying about an era on my layout. I too, am glad the light clusters weren't put on the S-2 , thats always a headache for me. Although I have many light kits from detail west for the light clusters on hand at all times.

I'm at work , but off the top of my head , many older units in Black Widow , All 2nd generation and above are grey/red bloody nose. Shop goat is a GE 44 tonner in black and orange. VO-1000 in black and orange and a 70 tonner in grey/red. Kind of a toss up. Hence my dilemma ! I like both.

As long as era isn't a question, the tiger stripe scheme is much more attractive than the bloody nose scheme on an S-2. Since you've already got a Baldwin and GE in that scheme, adding an Alco seem only right. :)

By the way if you go with the orange and black....what engine number will you go with? I can help you locate a prototype pic for you....

If you've done this before, grab the old #24 blade and go at it. A locomotive looks way better with wire rather than molded on grabs. If you haven't done this before, practice on a few freight cars first since you can ding up a locomotive real good removing molded curved grabs.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've done this before, grab the old #24 balde and go at it. a locomotive works way better than molded on grabs. If you haven't done this before, practice on a few freight cars first since you can ding up a locomotive real good removing molded curved grabs.
Yeah , I've done it before, but the old eyes hate it now. This will take some time.

Jerry, I know what you mean. I used to be able to take a #24 exacto blade and cleanly slice of any molded grab in one pass. I could even do it sometimes without damaging the underlying paint. Now it's a struggle to get them off without leaving a gully behind. :) Older eyes and hands just dont work as well. Sometimes using a fine brush and a contrasting color for the molded grabs works just as well for me. OTOH, you'll be working on a mostly black engine so that gives you a little wiggle room for errors.

Got them mostly off tonight , not too shabby either. a little light sanding and drilling before paint , then I'll install the new little buggers.

Good for you, Jerry. Shows us old guys can still do a thing or two. I'll be waiting with baited breath for the pics. :)

Back