South Lewistown

Stickymonk

I thought I would introduce my South Lewistown layout with you, the layout is progressing very slowly due to numerous reasons but progress is progress.

The track plan below is for the middle section, the lower level goes to 4 hidden staging tracks, the upper level I will draw on Anyrail sometime soon.
The plan is not entirely accurate but gives an idea of the layout.

layout middle.jpg

A little history, The South Lewistown has been in existence in many forms now over the years and the latest one is built in a shed in my garden.
The Montana Central is a proto freelance railroad owned by the CRC who also owns my dad's Andersley Western RRit is set in the mid 1970s, it runs from Winifred to Big Timber in Montana and has interchanges with the AW at Lewistown, MILW at Harlowtown and the BN at Big Timber.

I have more info on my web site including route map and rosters.

Photos will be added to make sense of the rather crude track plan above!

I will update this thread at various times of construction to show progress or projects i am working on.

DSC_0585.jpg

Here are some walk round photos of my layout at the moment, starting from the entrance from the lower level staging yard at the bottom right of the track plan.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

9.jpg

trains enter the layout from the lower level, travel round the layout through the town and back into the industrial area, after that the road power is detached and parked up, the local switcher sorts the cars, makes up a return train the the road power reattaches to the consist, this then departs goes round the layout through the town again then goes back into the low level staging.

You're making some great progress there. Things are looking really good. I see you have a bit of work to do on the downtown buildings. Just finished a bunch myself and I will give you a bit of sympathy on those upcoming projects. Keep the pictures coming. I wish I had the time to get down to the train room and get some work done but I just have too many things going on during the summer months. We have to make up for the long Montana winters.

I can only really get on my railroad shed at nights at the moment, we actually have hot weather this summer! I need to add some more ventilation to make a through draft.

Every part of my layout and buildings need a lot if work, just trying to get the basics done first then I can concentrate on specific things.

I am most looking forward to getting the main street done, although it is quite daunting thinking of all the shop insides I need to do along with the lighting.

I need to add another switch so I can add a track for the road locos to be stored, there place where they currently sit will become a caboose track for the transfer caboose I have bashed from a works caboose I made about 20 years ago.

This is the transfer caboose I have made, it is almost ready for paint, just need to add the new handrails. I now have the wire so I will solder these up at some point soon.

Before and after.

uploadfromtaptalk1406036861610.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1406036874001.jpg

It has been hot here too, over 90 F (32C) and the basement where my train layout is was so nice and cool when I went down there the other day to get some power tools. That's where I should be, working on the trains instead of doing other odd jobs.

The other items I have been working on are a couple of regular cabooses.

These have been made into various stages of modernisation, the old wood caboose I believe may be a Walthers kit was a pain, even with the original archbar trucks it would not go round any curve due to them hitting the steps, I had to file a lot of plastic off to make the trucks pivot.

The other one has had new end rails and roofwalks removed along with a few plated over windows.

These are both almost ready for painting but the wooden one needs grabs adding.

uploadfromtaptalk1406038889535.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1406038903998.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1406038919333.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1406038936083.jpg

It has been hot here too, over 90 F (32C) and the basement where my train layout is was so nice and cool when I went down there the other day to get some power tools. That's where I should be, working on the trains instead of doing other odd jobs.
The only place cool enough to do modelling is my dining room...

uploadfromtaptalk1406039165562.jpg

Stickymonk,
I feel your pain, my layout is in the garage. I live in Northern California, it has been around 100 degrees here. The garage is way to hot to work on any train stuff, so I end up in the dining room. My wife has been ok with it, as long as I do not make a mess. Keep posting the pics, I like your layout.

Thanks
Scott

Another project I am working on is a rebuild of an old AHM C415, I am going to build a new chassis from brass to add weight, change from high cab to medium cab add hi-ad trucks, new motor with flywheels.

And I am sure by the time I am finished someone will release a new model of one...

Here is my progress so far.

uploadfromtaptalk1406106267300.jpg

Cab lowered

uploadfromtaptalk1406106305914.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1406106319686.jpg

At half past midnight last night this was as far as I got, I am following the BN units for details including the new exhaust stack, next job is to get the body filler out and smooth in all the holes, and fully remove that pointless fan on the long hood...

Last edited by a moderator:
Done some more work on the C415, ready for a coat of primer to check out any spots that need working on.

Then it is on to drilling holes for lift rings, grab irons and door handles.

The brass has been ordered for the new chassis and will be the next part of the project.

uploadfromtaptalk1406452725622.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1406452761070.jpg

A small update on the C415 project.

The body is done and ready for grab irons and other details.

uploadfromtaptalk1407068949912.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407068964934.jpg

And I have made a start on the brass chassis but things may slow down a lot now due the the imminent arrival of baby #2.

uploadfromtaptalk1407069028391.jpg

If this turns out ok I would build you one if you donate all the parts needed for it.

A couple photos of the start of the chassis.

Still need to do a lot if work on it and properly mount the motor (it is just placed there for photo). I will be adding as much weight as I can to help traction and running.

uploadfromtaptalk1407085819993.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1407085829442.jpg

That is looking like it is coming close to running and the body going to the paint shop. I appreciate the offer. I would like one, but right now I really have more locomotives than I can really use. Some are nothing but siding queens. With a switching layout, a lot of power is not really needed.

Back