Sound decoder consisting

AyTrane

I searched through some threads, and came to the conclusion that it is possible to consist a sound decoder (no motor control), with a non sound decoder (motor control). But I would like to double check with someone, for what I'm trying to do.

I have an HO steam locomotive that I installed a Digitrax DZ140 into the cab. The engine has a two wire harness that can plug into the tender to get additional power pickup. What I want to do is put a sound only decoder SFX0416 (which I got from a friend) into the tender, and wire it to the two leads from the tender pickups. What I want to do then, is consist the engine decoder and the tender decoder, so they work together all the time.

I figure that since the engine and tender can become separate, if I need to adjust some CV's for either unit, I can just unplug either-or. Has anyone had experience with something like this. Does this sound realistic and do-able, or am I just barking at the wind?

Thanks,

It's perfectly possible to do what you propose...depending on your DCC controller. I know that Digitrax allows you to easily consist a DCC and DC locomotive. I know some other systems will not allow you to include a DC locomotive in a consist and some won't run DC locomotives at all. You need to check your system documentation or post what you have here so someone who knows the capabilities of your system.

Well, everything will be DCC (both sound decoder and engine decoder), so I won't need to do anything with regular DC. I just want to know if it's possible to consist a sound decoder and motor controller. The sound decoder is a Digitrax SFX0416 and the engine decoder is a Digitrax DZ140.

You can certainly consist the two together, but since they are easily separated for programming but will always be run together(I assume), I would just program them both to the same address.

Thanks for the tip on programming the two decoders to the same address, it worked like a charm. Now I just need to get a baffle for my speaker, and I'm good to go!

Ah, I misread your question and thought you wanted to keep a DC lcomotive running on DC for the motor but use a DCC sound card. This is what happens when you get old. :) Robert gave you the best alternative, just give both decoders the same address. The only issue is if you want to change some sound settings. You may have to give the sound decoder a different address temorarily to do this.

You can program both decoders to the same address. The Digitrax decoders can be locked but I don't remember the CV. You lock one as 1 and the other as 2 then if you need to change CV settings in one of them you just unlock that decoder.
Wayne

Back