Some rough ideas, thoughts and opinions needed!

Hydra427

Here is a rough plan for my layout. Still have a few more sidings to add but it's coming together slowly, Would like to hear your thoughts and opinions on the layout. If you need more info you can view my other threads.

NewGGScarmLayout3_zpse016cb1a.png

Does this fill the room or is there a walkway around the outside? If it's up against walls then the stuff on the left and bottom could be difficult to get to. Otherwise, fun.

I like it. Good plan so far.

If you do not have access at the bottom and the bottom left then you would need to have access hatches to work through.

I see what you mean, I have access all around except for the left side of the layout. I can reach from the end on the left side but I don't think I can make it all the way to the corner depending on the height that I make the layout.

I still want to add some tracks that will take my trains down to a lower stagging area but haven't come up with any ideas on this yet.

Do any of you see any difficulties in the wiring of this layout? I am planning to run DCC

Also have a lot of turnouts, any thoughts on keeing costs down?

I see 2 reverse sections that you will need to get reverse modules or maybe someone else can chime in with a better idea. If you wanted to get away from this you could always just turn your locos around with the turntable?

Yes you have some turnouts. I used alot of turnouts also, but i went with atlas turnouts since they are the cheapest. Alot of people knock them, but i havent had any problems yet... Think about it, if they are junk why would they still be in business.

You didn't mention your minimum radius - that's something to consider.

Also watch out for S curves - they can be a problem - I do all I can to minimize their presence in a plan.

I see 2 reverse sections that you will need to get reverse modules or maybe someone else can chime in with a better idea. If you wanted to get away from this you could always just turn your locos around with the turntable?
If you are running DCC it is possable to have two reverse loop sections wired in series to one reverse module. This means that if a train runs onto one reverse section both of them will flip polarity. You wouldnt want that on DC.

Back