Simulating ground leaves

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
As I was heading of to buy a new Dremmel Kit, I was looking at the landscape in our area and saw a "lot" of leaves, amongst other things that can't be mentioned here, on the ground. That got me thinking about ways of creating leaves for ground cover. Anyone have any thoughts on this or how it maybe possible, if at all?

Cheers,

I saw some leaves just the other day. I think they were HO scale is why they didn't interest me more. They were foam I believe. They looked really good. But I can't remember where I saw them.

No prob. I stumble across stuff all the time, and my terrible memory never fails to keep me from ever finding it again :D

These aren't the ones I found, but this is a neat site for the larger scale guys!
http://www.joefix-studio.be/producten.asp?taal=UK&groep=100

Couldn't you use real leaves ground up? I would think that would work very well depending on the scale you desired them to me.

Scenic Express has ground cover material called deadfall forest debris. It is a mix of broken twigs, a dead leaf material, dead grasses, and other things you'd find in a wooded area. You can shake some out onto a piece of paper and separate the twigs and other bigger pieces from the rest. The simulated dead leaf pieces can be broken into smaller ones as some are a bit large. I use it as is or separate it depending where I want to use it. Comes in a quart size plastic bottle.

I discovered Scenic Exress products about 4 years ago and have been using it almost exclusively since. They also carry scenery products from other companies like Noch, Woodland Scenics, etc. Overall a one stop shop for scenery.

If you are a tea drinker save the tea bags.Depending on the type of tea you drink you will find some very nice looking brown leafs in that little bag once you have used up the brewing part.I have used these on both my N and Z layouts and in the woods they should work nicely in HO too.

I came across a material that looks like dead cover. It could look like leaf piles. I found it cleaning out my pencil sharpner. I'm thinking of experimenting with different color pencils, both the lead and the outside covering. Heck, the stuff is free.

Neat idea - pencil sharpener shavings! Tea leaves too!, I thought they were only good for telling fortunes.

Just wondering though if either or both might attract insects unless treated somehow.

had a thought on the tea-leaves, try the stuff in the tea-cup bags, it's ground up very small (probably the dust off the sorting room floor).

had a thought on the tea-leaves, try the stuff in the tea-cup bags, it's ground up very small (probably the dust off the sorting room floor).

Ah well, at least I confirmed my opinion that the stuff in those bags is only what otherwise would have been dumped.

Alright, I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but why not use real leaves. Gather a bag full of dead leaves; grind them up to a fine consistency (but not so fine that it turns into mush) in a blender with water (some people also use a little Lysol to eliminate the possibility of mold); dry them on newspaper or even in your microwave (don't burn them); attach the leaves to your scenery base the usual way with a diluted mixture of Elmer's White Glue, Mat Medium or Scenic Cement. Oh, by the way, make sure you use an old blender or buy you wife a new one.

Ray

Back