Silver on Athearn Cab Side Windows

Hey all,

I'm working on an undec Athearn GP15-1. The sliding cab windows are giving me a headache...my first thought was to decal the silver along the edges of the windows, this would ensure a nice straight edge. But, as I found out the hard way, decals to not adhere to clear glazing. Despite having used an ample amount of setting solution and letting them dry for several days the silver decals just fell right off as soon as I touched them.

I really hate the thought of trying to hand paint them, I'm just not that steady handed anymore.

I thought about masking and airbrushing the silver, but I figure that would leave some nasty tape residue on the glazing.

Any thoughts?

Never mind...I sucked it up and hand painted them. Used my finest brush and Pollyscale Flat Aluminum. Came out pretty good.

Still would rather use decals, I'm thinking maybe if I had roughed up the edges of the windows the decals would have had some tooth to grab on to. Maybe I'll try that next time I'm working with an Athearn.

For future reference, you might try to find a silver paint pen - its like a felt tip marker with silver paint. I've used mine in the past, works great for window edges like you've done. Hold the tip at an angle and apply the paint. Practicing a few times helps. Don't recall where I got my paint pen, maybe a hobby shop or stationery shop.

Bob,

Thanks, that's a great tip. Which I should have thought of, I've been using a black paint pen for numberboard and class light gaskets etc. Sometimes the answer is right in front of us...

:eek:

I wonder if it would be possible to either use a straight edge or make some kind of a jig to move the paint pen in a straight line as well.

I wonder if it would be possible to either use a straight edge or make some kind of a jig to move the paint pen in a straight line as well.

Don't think a straight edge would work, as the paint is actually quite runny when it comes off the tip of the pen and would run under the straight edge. Just holding the pen at an angle as I mentioned and moving it along the edge results in a good straight edge in my attempts. The edge of the item is actually being used as a straight edge. Practice on some scrap plastic first!

I used tamaya tape on the center of the window and airbushed them silver. Then I install them into the cab after its painted. Tamaya tape does not leave a residue behind and will leave a clean line.

A good way to decal over clear plastic windows like the OP was trying to do is to first paint the "glass" with Future Floor finish. After it dries the window is still clear and the decal will adhere to the now painted surface.

Alternatively to the paint pen you can just use a silver sharpie if you have one. It isn't runny and the result is just as good as a paint pen.

Robert

Some great ideas, thanks. I finished that last project by hand painting the frames, but from this point forward I'll use one of the several great tips given here!

Back