Show us your caboose!

Here's a some of mine;

GM&O brass by Samhongsa. This is my wife's favorite. She bought it, I painted it.

GMO2819.png

SRR Wooden Funaro & Camerlengo Kit

SRRCab3.png

Here's another F&C caboose. Built this one back in 1988;

SRRx3239.png

Finally a caboose that I scratchbuilt around 1980-81. Used an Ambroid D&H caboose kit instructions and pieces/parts from my junkbox. Its now down for repainting and upgrading.

AlCentCab.png

I got about 6 more, most SRR, including a couple of athearn kitbashes. Just gotta take pix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two photos of our new Intermountain Santa Fe caboose models. I added Tomar marker lights.

caboose1.jpg

caboose2.jpg

Someone please tell me it gets any better than this? Nice work Matt, those lights look awesome! The Tomar marker lights are a perfect addition to this era of caboose.:cool:

Here's one of my Athearn BW Caboose conversions. Although its not a true copy of the real SRR cabooses, short of brass, or an overpriced kit from Gary Wright, this is a good representation of the cabooses. Now before anyone says anything, I have nothing against Gary. I just personally believe that his kits are overpriced.

Srr31101.png

Here's my first conversion, done years ago.

SRRAT1.png

I just noticed that I haven't changed those trucks out yet. They don't match!

Nice. Those models are quite desireable now days and have gone up in value considerably. Is that the brass one?

I haven't the slightest idea. That's a pic of someone else's caboose that they had posted in this thread. I just used it for a long/ short contrast. This one's mine... :)
IMG_4770.jpg

...it's not brass, and has not gone up in value. ;)

Greg

The Hutchinson caboose X181 is mine and yes it's brass and yep they've gone up in price ,not to suprising as there was only the one run of 600 in H.O scale imported back in 1977.
I paid $63 for this one unpainted in 1981.
They are now selling in the $250-350 range.Think i paid $50 to have it painted professionally back in the day.

Now getting back to the thread heres my latest Caboose a Walthers Platinum line DM&IR class G2 a real little sweetheart for the end of those long ore trains I 've been itchin' to run behind my Yellowstone...:D

Larry

006-1.jpg

That's a really nice one... I like the bumblebee color. :)
Do you know why they put shiny wheels on the high quality cabooses?
I know they're nice metal ones, but blackened metal looks so much more real.

Greg

Matt, those power lines are getting mighty low!!! :eek:

You bet :D

Actually this area on our layout is getting an upgrade. I'm in the process of ballasting the track here and the power lines you see were moved off to the side so I don't snag them with my clumsy fingers/hand. Normally they are higher.

I could see an HO figure getting beheaded if they were on the catwalks. Maybe I should put some tell-tales coming off the lines :p

my collection to date

Picture150.jpg

Very nice collection. Are they all brass? Are they all custom painted?

The very first brass I bought was this model back in the late 80's. Had no ideal what I wanted to model then, but it was such a nice piece I just had to have it. It lived on a shelf while I was modelling another era. It is custom painted. Unfortunately, I had to sell it with some other goodies about 7 years ago. I wish I hadn't because now I want to model a new layout circa 1974 and this piece would have been ideal. I ordered another one and hope to see it November.

The only brass caboose I have left is this wooden one. The rest of my cabooses are TLTs.

Back