Show us your caboose!

Sean,

Love the CP vans...I modeled CP in 'O' scale for several years.

Now,.......here's my latest caboose project.....it a 1/8 scale version of my DT&I #89 caboose....it's made from 1/2" furniture grade plywood.

387105454_82A00F00BE15B23DB7C980A9F02341D2.jpg

Brian B.
Modeling DT&I 1980ish in 1/29 scale

Dm&ir caboose

I built this some years ago from an article in Mainline Modeler magazine. It's board-by-board with interior.

To me, this style has the most classic caboose shape of them all.

Chas.

Sean,

Love the CP vans...I modeled CP in 'O' scale for several years.

Now,.......here's my latest caboose project.....it a 1/8 scale version of my DT&I #89 caboose....it's made from 1/2" furniture grade plywood.

387105454_82A00F00BE15B23DB7C980A9F02341D2.jpg

Brian B.
Modeling DT&I 1980ish in 1/29 scale

Nice. Please let us see how it progresses.

a whimsical little caboose... ;)

(updated with a wider wheelbase passenger truck...)

IMG_4524.jpg

IMG_4516.jpg

IMG_4526.png

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
In the midst of finishing a H&D resin van in TH&B paint...

I know, I know Rapido does this van RTR, but it doesn't cost $20! :D

View attachment 21685

Iomalley, just wondering where you got this kit. I know you listed the name of the kit, but just wondering where you actually bought this caboose. Very nice by the way.

Nice shot and models as usual, DJ. Do you know how the PRR came with the term "cabin car" for a caboose? I assume it's something that goes way back in history, since I've seen PRR cabooses called cabin cars in literature from the 1870's, but I never found a definitive answer on how the term came in common use, and why it lasted until the end of the caboose era.

The term cabin cars lasted all the way through Penn Central and Conrail. I don't know if Norfolk Southern and CSX crews operating in former Conrail territory still do that though. I guess Pennsy called `em cabin cars because that's what they reminded crews of and since it had become a company tradition crews kept on doing it.

Thanks, Jim. I've Googled for the answer to your question, to no avail. Apparently, even the origin of the caboose isn't clear. My guess is: Because the early cabeese were made of wood, with cooking, sleeping, storage provision, and generally not the cleanest place, someone in the early years of the PRR called the caboose, the cabin, and the name stuck, and also just to be different from other roads. That's just my theory. DJ.

Here's this weekends progress....I built all the windows (what a pain)....they came out pretty nice.

322106164_6F29F8598D059B093718D21F0B654F5D.jpg

Brian B.

That's impeccably neat work, Brian...:)
...and those truing blocks are excellent tools. I also use metal blocks on a 1/2 inch thick sheet of plate glass to keep everything flat, square, and true.

I really like a glass working surface because it's perfectly flat, and when you get glue on it, it just pops right off.

Greg

View attachment 21685

Iomalley, just wondering where you got this kit. I know you listed the name of the kit, but just wondering where you actually bought this caboose. Very nice by the way.

Its an old H&D resin kit, released in the early 90's and was direct competition for Sylvan's CP W/V kit. I scored mine on ebay after Rapido released its ready to run CP van, for a paltry $20. (They were $80 originally) They are dimensionally correct and fall together, an easy build! I added Athabasca brass end railing to mine as I had them kicking around from an inaccurate Athabasca brass kit...

I think the H&D van holds its own next to the Rapidos for sure...

Back