Should I convert older Genesis F-units to Tsunami?

Dollie's Dad

Gandy Dancer
I have two sets of Genesis A-B F-units already, and they have the MRC sound decoder in them. I will soon have a new FP-7 A-B set with the Tsunami sound installed, and am wondering if it will be worth the trouble and expense of upgrading the older units to Tsunami.

Decisions, decisions.

Yes! Definitely! It will be easier than most other sound installations since the speakers are already in there. MRC and Soundtraxx Tsunami both use 8 ohm speakers so you can reuse the speakers already in there.

Also, if you send it back to Athearn and tell them that the sound decoder isn't working right, they may replace them with tsunamis for you, free if under warranty, maybe a small charge if it's out of warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking at the physical box at your LHS, Athearn has made it easy for you. The old Yellow, Blue and Red Genesis boxes are the old runs with MRCs and Buhler motors. The dark blue Genesis boxes are the new runs with Tsunamis and Roco motors.

However, Athearn did use the Yellow, Blue and Red boxes for some Tsunami equipped models since they still had a bunch of the boxes on hand and didn't want to waste them. The MP15ACs are an example. THE MP15ACS also have Mashima motors.

If you ONLY buy the dark blue box Genesis, you are guaranteed a new run locomotive, and if it has sound, you are guaranteed a Tsunami. Obviously, you can't see the boxes online so this only works if you can see the actual item.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back