Should I buy an MTH steam loco...

jbholt1

...and will it run on my Digitrax loconet? I am bidding on an MTH locomotive on Ebay (used) which has the synchronized smoke unit. I notice that there are 28 functions, but my Digitrax DT400 only seems to support 12. Having scanned the threads discussing MTH compatibility, or lack thereof, with other control systems, I wonder if I will be able to actually operate an MTH locomotive and utilize all the functions. Smoke in particular.

Any advice out there? The auction is ending in couple of hours from now. Thinking I may should back off and get more educated before I buy a pig in a poke.

...and will it run on my Digitrax loconet? I am bidding on an MTH locomotive on Ebay (used) which has the synchronized smoke unit. I notice that there are 28 functions, but my Digitrax DT400 only seems to support 12. Having scanned the threads discussing MTH compatibility, or lack thereof, with other control systems, I wonder if I will be able to actually operate an MTH locomotive and utilize all the functions. Smoke in particular.

Any advice out there? The auction is ending in couple of hours from now. Thinking I may should back off and get more educated before I buy a pig in a poke.

I would withdraw.

First off if you sent the DT-400 to Digitrax and $25 bucks, they'll upgrade it to DT-402 specs, which have the 28 functions. However, I'm not sure that even with that, you'll get all 28 functions to work. mth has very little in the way of DCC compatibility and very limited programming ability with DCC.

mth has a proprietary control system that doesn't play well with DCC. As long as mth keeps trying to shove their system down the throats of HO modelers who don't want it, and suing everyone in sight for perceived wrongs, I wouldn't have mth if it was given to me.

I would withdraw.

First off if you sent the DT-400 to Digitrax and $25 bucks, they'll upgrade it to DT-402 specs, which have the 28 functions. However, I'm not sure that even with that, you'll get all 28 functions to work. mth has very little in the way of DCC compatibility and very limited programming ability with DCC.

mth has a proprietary control system that doesn't play well with DCC. As long as mth keeps trying to shove their system down the throats of HO modelers who don't want it, and suing everyone in sight for perceived wrongs, I wouldn't have mth if it was given to me.

AMEN Carey!!:D

OK, thanks guys. I had best steer clear of MTH, I think. My grandsons wanted a steamer that smokes, but too much money to take a chance on. Maybe BLI makes one.

'preciate the help!

OK, thanks guys. I had best steer clear of MTH, I think. My grandsons wanted a steamer that smokes, but too much money to take a chance on. Maybe BLI makes one.

'preciate the help!

Athearn Genesis steamers (Big Boy, Challenger, FEF) can have smoke generators installed. Some BLI's also. I have several Genesis steamers and one BLI but not a smoker. The Genesis smoke generators are not set up to chuff out smoke but smoke continuously.

I removed my smoke generators and do not use them now. The smoke left oil residue all over the track and surrounding area and is a mess to clean up. Decided smoke was not for me.

I run two MTH HO steamers using NCE Power Cab. All 28 functions are easily accessed and perform flawlessly. The smoke unit can be readily adjusted to three different output levels using the Power Cab or turned off completely by way of a switch on the tender.

Jason in Colorado.

LOL if there is one subject that seems to be popping up on a regular basis it's MTH. From the few posts on this thread and the posts in previous threads, I'd say, with regards to MTH "Those who like it, like it a lot, and those who don't like it, dont like it at all!"

Cheers
Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a BLI Paragon II 4-8-4 steamer with sound, smoke, and etc.... It works flawlessly with my Digitraz zephyr unit. The smoke is the same way, you can turn it off in the very front under a cover. VERY nicely made locomotive. I bought it pre-weathered at a train show last year for 150 bucks. Smoke unit works good, but I also have it shut off.

Back