Shelf Train

BBurrows13

Hello fellow railroaders,

Today i have officially started my quest to have my G-Scale LGB trains navigating my house.
I have decided to start off by just putting up 1"x8" Shelving throughout my room, the shelf will be 7'9" above the ground. Eventually i will add on and have it going all through the house, and possibly outside, but i got to start somewhere.

I am going to use:
60' of 1x8" Spruce wood
20 4" L Brackets
and i plan to paint the shelving white to blend in...

I dont have any experience with carpentry are model train layouts...any advice????

Is there are reason it has to be mounted so high? I know you are probably trying to run it around the ceilings but 7"9' is really high. It won't be so bad to build it but having to haul out a guge stepladder everytime you need to clean track, fix a derailment, or do maintenance is going to get old quick. If you can bring it down to even 6", it would make it a lot easier to build and maintain.

I'm a little confused about the idea of using 1" wide shelving for G scale. G scale track is 1.75" wide. How will that fit on a 1" shelf?

OK...***************..
First of all it has to be nearly 8' Tall to clear All windows and doors...duh
and second of all the shelf is 6" wide and 1" thick...super duh

Please keep comments to other members respectful. Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
OK...apparently your not the brightest...
First of all it has to be nearly 8' Tall to clear All windows and doors...duh
and second of all the shelf is 6" wide and 1" thick...super duh

ouch easy does it Bburrows13 lets not be harsh or quick to judge.
you said you were going to be using 1x8 so the shelf would be 8 inches wide...
as for door & window heights the inside ht dimension of a standard door is set a 6'8" and if you add the door header it would typicaly be 3" more so then it is at 83" = to 6 foot 11" @ 7 feet not 8 feet. Most homes have an 8 foot ceiling ht. but it isnt uncommon to have 10, 12 or 16 if so then doors can be 8 foot doors.

Any ways there is no reason to be harsh here. I know you are a new member please be courteous... Jim has been here a while and is a respected member as well everyone else here.

If you wish for help, comments in positive ways or other reasons please keep your comments cool with respect. Thank you.

First, I'm going to assume you're having a bad day. When you said 1x8", my assumption was that the shelf was one inch wide by 8 feet long, not an unreasonable assumption and one that I would not have made if you had described your shelf differently.

As Alco pointed out, most homes built in the last 40 years or so have 8 foot ceilings so the doors and windows are well below that level, therefore going to 7'9" isn't necessary. If you have a home with higher ceilings and doors, then a lower shelf with bridges that cross the doors at 6'8" will serve the purpose without having the train so high that almost no one will see it.

It's your house so you are privileged to do what you want. You came here asking for advice and I did my best to help. As matter of interest, I helped install a G scale shelf layout 7' high in a 3000 square foot restaurant with almost 2500 feet of track and 6 bridges so I do have a little experience in this matter.

Back