Shedding trees

ClintOHenry

What is the best way to stop my homemade trees from shedding? I used hob-e-tac adhesive to attach the foliage to the armatures but after a few weeks they start shedding.

Try using a clear matte (flat) spray finish like krylon makes or you can use aqua net hairspray, spray several light coats then install. That should solve your problem!

Side note; leave the shedding's in place and if possible spray those with the clear coat as they will add some realism to your layout!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed with gator do 65. Another way is to spray your trees with Matte Medium or a 50/50 mix of standard PVA and water. Either way, whatever you use will "fix" the foliage to both the limbs of the tree and to each other.

You could also use the spray on Scenics Cement by Woodland Scenics. I used it on my stuff and seemed to hold things in place. Also works well to brighten up a dusty layout.

lasm

I have used the cheapest hair spray I can find (Spray Net) and have trees over 20 years old still looking good.

I tried hob-e-tac in the beginning of my layout but I experienced the same thing, I found a glue though that I use to make the trees for my business and will never go back to hob-e-tac!

I like the idea of using hair spray as well. Consider all of the (rather questionable) hairstyles over the years. If hair spray can hold them in place, it should be bale to hold a few bits of tree foliage in place as well; HOWEVER......................be aware that sometimes, the results can be disastrous!

0s-hair-make-up--large-msg-12633050775_zpsa7f5af25.jpg

:) :)

Back