Self Adhesive Weathering Powders?

BMR777

Hello All,

I'm looking around trying to find the best way to weather my rolling stock and I think I would rather go the powders route to weathering vs using paint. I'm mostly interested in self-adhesive weathering powders as I am in an apartment so I don't have the space for painting or spraying on dullcoat, at least if I want my security deposit back. :)

Anyway, I found some weathering powders called Doc O'Brien's weathering powders that claim to be self-adhesive. Does anyone use these? Are they self adhesive, or do you still have to put on a dullcoat to make them stick well?

Any other self-adhesive weathering powders out there that are better?
Thanks!

Hello All,

I'm looking around trying to find the best way to weather my rolling stock and I think I would rather go the powders route to weathering vs using paint. I'm mostly interested in self-adhesive weathering powders as I am in an apartment so I don't have the space for painting or spraying on dullcoat, at least if I want my security deposit back. :)

Anyway, I found some weathering powders called Doc O'Brien's weathering powders that claim to be self-adhesive. Does anyone use these? Are they self adhesive, or do you still have to put on a dullcoat to make them stick well?

Thanks!

Have never heard of them; but in my experience any weathering, whether with powder or paint should be clear coated to help blend it in. You can get small spray bombs of Testors clear coats - just take it out on the deck or just outside and spray it. Krylon also makes different types of clear coat which dries very quickly so you shouldn't have any problems.

Jim

Hello All,

Thanks!

I recently purchased a Bragdon Weathering kit, but have used it only on weathering track, some ballasted areas, and blending it to depict fine dirt on gravel or stones. I'm going to test it on a sheet of styrene some day to see how it adheres. I'll keep you posted.

http://www.bragdonent.com/weather.htm

As Jim stated, whether the powders are self adhering or not, they should be covered with a protective coat. The reason being is that every time you handle the equipment, without a protective coating, some will remain on your fingers. If the equipment is handled a lot the colors will soon be gone from the handled areas.

I use plain artists chalk pastels. I have the adhesive style powders as well. I don't really find a difference other than the pastels are probably cheaper. I always spray the model with a really thinned out coat of Dullcoat so that the powders stick better. After applying the powders the model should be sealed with another coat of Dullcoat to prevent the powders from rubbing off.

I use plain artists chalk pastels. I have the adhesive style powders as well. I don't really find a difference other than the pastels are probably cheaper. I always spray the model with a really thinned out coat of Dullcoat so that the powders stick better. After applying the powders the model should be sealed with another coat of Dullcoat to prevent the powders from rubbing off.

This is a technique I use also with chalks with good results and highly recommend it, but I didn't thin out the dullcote; I will definitely do so in the future thanks to you.

I even used this technique on a brass loco as seen here in before and after shots.

The only advantage I see to the adhesive weathering powders is that they will stay on to some extent without sealing them and can be washed off... in the case of brass locos one might want to remove the powder in order to resell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies so far, I am learning a lot. It seems like even the self adhesive stuff will need sealing from what everyone is saying.

If anyone finds something that is truly permanent self-adhesive please let me know, or if you have any more advise please keep me posted. Thanks!

What you need is Krylon's 'low odor' dull coat. I'm guessing that and a cardboard box (spraybooth) will solve any issues with spraying a protective coat. It keeps the wife from complaining.

Back