Seeking Guidance on Pricing an Inherited Model Train Set

jacob.trains

Hello fellow train enthusiasts,

Recently, I became the owner of a model train set that was left behind at our home. We've found a potential adopter for this beautiful set, but, unfortunately, my knowledge about model trains is fairly limited. Thus, I'm reaching out for your expertise to help determine its potential worth.

From what I understand, the set appears to be of the HO gauge variety, and comes complete with a modular landscape setup, as well as an assortment of trains and related accessories. I've heard that such sets might hold significant collector's value, however, I'm uncertain about the extent of this. I'm having trouble discerning if its worth might be in the vicinity of $200, or if it's potentially valued closer to the $2,000 range.

Any input or insight you can provide would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best,
Jacob

Attachments

• train IMG_0257.jpg
    train IMG_0257.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 118
  • train IMG_0258.jpg
    train IMG_0258.jpg
    796.2 KB · Views: 115
  • train IMG_0301.jpg
    train IMG_0301.jpg
    629.8 KB · Views: 116
  • train IMG_0268.jpg
    train IMG_0268.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 108
  • train IMG_0260.jpg
    train IMG_0260.jpg
    809.3 KB · Views: 117
From what I understand, the set appears to be of the HO gauge variety, and comes complete with a modular landscape setup, as well as an assortment of trains and related accessories. I've heard that such sets might hold significant collector's value, however, I'm uncertain about the extent of this. I'm having trouble discerning if its worth might be in the vicinity of $200, or if it's potentially valued closer to the $2,000 range.
I don't see how that is modular, so the joints must be well hidden with the scenery.
Hard to tell from the pictures if there are any collector's pieces in there. I'll look a bit closer later.

But, I can say the just the NCE PRO cab control set (there should be a box for it under the layout somewhere) is worth $300 all by itself. And add another $100 because I see at least one more throttle for it. The starter sets sell for about $540 new.

Retail value and what you can sell it for can be vastly different.

I'll leave the value to the experts.

If it were me, I would accept anything if someone took it and preserved it. If I didn't keep it myself.

Any input or insight you can provide would be immensely appreciated.
One can always get more for something by parting it out, but that is a lot of work and then one is stuck with the parts no one wants.

As I said above, I looked at the photos closer. It looks like most of the train cars are a brand called Athearn, and secondly a brand called MDC (model die casting) also known as Roundhouse. These days sold separately these could bring $7 to $12 each.

Not counting the two European looking ones (look like toys to me) I see 4 steam locomotives. One that looks like it is a Mantua or Tyco brand, and another possibly AHM. Can't even begin to guess the other two.
I see 7 diesel locomotives. An RS3, a GP9, 2 Baldwin switchers, some other Alco RS, and a switcher in the yard. the only one I can say exactly what brand it is with any confidence is an Athearn F7 (way in the back, One can tell by the gaping oversize windshields). That would be $25-$65 each on the used market today.

Bottom line here is that I don't see any high end equipment or "collectable" items. All the above are common production line model trains with thousands (maybe millions) produced. I assume the person took any rare and/or collectible type of things with them.

You might want to attend a model rr show in your area. Preferably one leaning towards H O scale. Never been to a show where at least one vendor wasn't interested in purchasing an entire layout. Everyone is interested in boxed kits. These vendors will have a feel if a section would sell as a module or individual built up unit. There's a good chance someone might cut up the bench work and haul it all out as part of the "deal." Important to remember that labor isn't free.
If you wanted to sell this collection at a show you would have to rent a table, collect, price, transport and set up for a show. Invest a full day or two at the show. Then do the reverse with items that did not sell....... That's what a vendor has to do.........
Most of the rolling stock appears to be "common" and in my region that type of rolling stock goes in the $8 range. Buildings - didn't notice any craftsman style kits - $10 to $50+/-....
If all this sounds intimidating - call a model rail road club and offer them the collection in exchange for dismantling and removing.

You mentioned "We've found a potential adopter for this beautiful set"
Perhaps your problem is solved.

Good luck

The OP came in here, and at least a dozen other forums, made this post on all of them, and has disappeared. He hasn't been logged in to any of the other forums he posted on that I belong to since July 3.
Seems to happen more often than not. It actually looks similar to a layout that a member here from Alabama posted about 9-10 years ago. That member was having health issues.

I kinda thought that I had seen the layout before too, although in MR, Craftsman or Mainline Modeler? No time to go and look at the old stuff so I guess I will file the thought somewhere. Wonder if the OP thought ( or thinks ) there is going to be a blind offer or sumptin? Hmmm.

I kinda thought that I had seen the layout before too, although in MR, Craftsman or Mainline Modeler? No time to go and look at the old stuff so I guess I will file the thought somewhere. Wonder if the OP thought ( or thinks ) there is going to be a blind offer or sumptin? Hmmm.
You would "think" if somebody were serious about selling or giving away this, they would respond in some way to the many replies they have gotten here, and elsewhere.

The OP came in here, and at least a dozen other forums, made this post on all of them, and has disappeared. He hasn't been logged in to any of the other forums he posted on that I belong to since July 3.
You would "think" if somebody were serious about selling or giving away this, they would respond in some way to the many replies they have gotten here, and elsewhere.
He probably found an answer or two that adequately suited him, and no one on this forum or on any other forum will hear from him again. I suspect he was just price checking an existing offer that someone (a "potential adopter") had already made for it.

Just guessing at this. Don't know fer sure. 🤔

Back