Sd9

bnsfjason

Maintenance in the way
Anybody out there knows who makes the SD9's or where can I find one, it can be an undecorated SD9 as well.

Proto 2000, BLI?PCM & Athearn made them, as well as RPP. RPP shells can be found through A-line.
http://www.ppw-aline.com

I think the RPP might be the easiest find, however the rest can be found on eBay from time to time.

You didn't specify scale, Atlas and LifeLike (Walthers) offer them in N scale.
I seem to remember Weaver offering them in O scale, haven't seen any in G.

Broadway Limited has the only SD-9 currently in production. Proto 2000 models show up fairly often on e-bay and Athearn made them by the tens of thousands so you can always find them at e-bay or train shows.

Yup, 2 in stock, with sound but no DCC (you have to puchase a decoder) for $190 at http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/category_s/1549.htm. I personally hate the BLI Blue Line locomotives with the DC sound and no motor decoder, assuming you're running DCC. Getting the sound and motor decoder in sync is giant pain in the but. If you only run DC, it's a nice way to get basic sound out of an engine.

I think the BLI will do, I will gut the motor and everything to create a TEBC6
but I need to find some other stuff to create the low hood for it as well, and a SW15 style cab but with angled roof.

SD9 into a TEBC6

Here is why i'm looking for an SD9, I wanna create this and i'm also looking for an SD35 (former Southern 3099) and will make it look like the 1805 which is classified as an SD38P (mother unit to the 1812)

Hah, I was just showing Josh pictures of a TEBUC6 I was making in 3DS Max...
TEBUC6_3.png

TEBUC6_4.png

As for the SD35, just get a Kato SD38-2 and paint it in BN, that works too.

My mistake:rolleyes: there is only two with dynamics, the 1815 (former 6293) & the 1816 (former 6294) I didn't read all of the specs on the whole roster:rolleyes:

You didn't specify scale, Atlas and LifeLike (Walthers) offer them in N scale.
I seem to remember Weaver offering them in O scale, haven't seen any in G.

I saw a pair of Black Widows in G Scale at a train show recently. Really nice engine, but I didn't ask who made them.

That looks like some challenging kitbashing. I don't think I'd waste the money on a BLI unit since you're going to gut it anyway. I don't think the sound decoder and DCC decoder will fit with the Blueline motor anyway. You should be able to pick up an Athearn SD-9 from e-bay for $25 or so for a junker. All you really need is the frame and trucks and those are reasonably accurate on the BB SD-9's

I rekon I could get an Athearn SD9 for less but how are the details on those?
That looks like some challenging kitbashing. I don't think I'd waste the money on a BLI unit since you're going to gut it anyway. I don't think the sound decoder and DCC decoder will fit with the Blueline motor anyway. You should be able to pick up an Athearn SD-9 from e-bay for $25 or so for a junker. All you really need is the frame and trucks and those are reasonably accurate on the BB SD-9's

Since the only details you need are the side sills, fuel tanks, and trucks, it's more than good enough. The vent detail on the side sills is actually quite good considering how old the castings are.

Ok, any suggestions on what to use to create that low hood? and what I could use for a SW style cab with angled roof but extended as shown on the prototype.
Since the only details you need are the side sills, fuel tanks, and trucks, it's more than good enough. The vent detail on the side sills is actually quite good considering how old the castings are.

Back