SD45 coupler problem

MRLdave

I have a couple of Bachmann SD45 engines and I'm having a bit of a problem. The engines come with a Bachmann mount with a special (pin and post vs. the usual T-shank) Rapido coupler....the mount looks a lot like a MTL. MTL lists a 1015 in their conversion and a 1015 will drop right in, and it's at the correct height, so I didn't need any shims or anything, but on both engines the coupler on the long hood end drags on the truck assembly to the point of causing that truck to jump track on curves/turnouts/ect.. The short hood end doesn't seem to have the problem. I tried grinding down/rounding the corners on the couplers, but couldn't get the clearance needed. The contact is on the gear housing on the trucks, not the sideframes, so I'm afraid to grind any material there. Any suggestions? I've run out of ideas..... I'm currently running the units as a helper set with the engines coupled longhood to long hood and the Rapidos reinstalled on that end of each engine and MTL's on the nose of each engine so they mate with everything else, which is how I really planned to use them, but the Rapidos are excessively long, so I'll also accept ideas on how to couple the engines closer together using the Rapidos.

Back