Scrutinize this N scale layout

Some of this was discussed in separate threads, so I won't go into detail here.
The two PS's, one a single cab, the other a dual cab which was gutted from the original outdated design and updated using switched 12v PS's instead of heavy transformers and a purchased ready to use circuit board.
The circuit board is a Ken Stapleton design.

The other PS was a scratch built design I believe I found thru a N-Trak article many years ago. The circuit board was purchased separately along with all the components. All three cabs have momentum.

Attachments

• throttle shelves 01.JPG
    throttle shelves 01.JPG
    528.1 KB · Views: 153
  • throttle shelves 02.JPG
    throttle shelves 02.JPG
    575.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Ken Stapleton 852b throttle board top small.JPG
    Ken Stapleton 852b throttle board top small.JPG
    461.3 KB · Views: 153
  • completed Ken Stapleton dual 821 throttle 02.JPG
    completed Ken Stapleton dual 821 throttle 02.JPG
    700.9 KB · Views: 155
Based on my previous designed board for my 1st layout some time back, I design this to scale to make operation easier vs a liner design (which I tried to do, but I couldn't get it to be user friendly).
This was covered in a separate thread also.

Blocks are color coded;
green & blue - track 2 - even numbered
orange & red - track 1 odd numbered-
brown - sidings & yard

The panel does not show industrial hand turnouts, nor does it show a proposed, runaround staging track that will occupy the shelf area along the outer wall..

Attachments

• control panel left.JPG
    control panel left.JPG
    378.1 KB · Views: 144
  • control panel center.JPG
    control panel center.JPG
    444.9 KB · Views: 155
  • control panel finished top.JPG
    control panel finished top.JPG
    369.6 KB · Views: 162
  • control panel mounted 01.JPG
    control panel mounted 01.JPG
    520.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I'll let others more skilled than me comment on your plan.... As a "real" operator you probably have a much better handle on it than many here however ;)

Just a couple of comments;

- Over the years I've read about many attempts at doing hump yards - Special cars with magnets, "clever" grading and so on and AFAIK no one's really ever succeeded! (?) It seems the physics are so different that it's impossible to get 'em to go far enough and/or stop 'em appropriately. So, good luck with that! [I'd love to have one too - Would be so cool!]

- I've never done N scale either, but *suspect* it's gonna be even more critical of expansion/contraction than HO! - The tracks gotta be pretty much perfect for those little guys and any rail movement is gonna be magnified. Given regular gaps and hence lots of feeders, I'm sure it could be done but I reckon you may be better off trying to control the environment (?)

Cheers,
Ian

Here is a hump yard that works. May be more of a challenge to make it N scale. Due to my limited space, I really had to pare down the size, however if you are planning it in N scale should not be as much of an issuel

This is a simple and foolproof way to slow down your freight cars as they roll down:

[video=youtube;-YY55xmNXfQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YY55xmNXfQ[/video]

A bigger issue may be the uncoupling. Not sure if that is an N scale option?

That doesn't slow the cars, it stops them. Then you have the problem of shoving the track in so it doesn't foul adjacent tracks.

I did a trial and error to get the grade of the 'bowl' so the cars still roll to the far end without using a excessively high 'hill' which was the probelm in my 1st hump yard. The entire length of the 'bowl' is a separate section that I can raise or lower if need be. :)

The brushes slow the cars, and can be raised and lowered with the levers, However, like I said, in N scale it would take a lot of care to get the correct height and density of bristles not to overpower the rolling stock.

Believe me, I did a lot of experimenting as well. The problem with the "bowl" is the funky back and forth movement of the car.

Back