Scratchbuilding windows?

Oh5oh

I've been trying my hand at some scrathbuilding methods. I have some pretty passable lap siding going, but I'm at something of a loss on how to represent wood windows. Is there a good method to make the casing? What about the windows themselves?

I'd appreciate insights from you guys who do windows. How do you do yours?

Jim

I drew windows out on paper. Then covered the drawing with wax paper so I could use a tiny drop of white glue to hold the wood in place. I started with the mutins. Then added the rails and upper and lower sash. Then built the frame around them. It was fairly easy, but very time consuming. Keeping all the tiny pieces straight is the hardest part.
For windows I've used acetate, Testors clear canopy glue and other clear stuff. Microscope slide covers look the best because they're real glass.

...Then covered the drawing with wax paper so I could use a tiny drop of white glue to hold the wood in place. ... Keeping all the tiny pieces straight is the hardest part.

Thats an old model airplane modelers trick with the wax paper. Another is to use straight sewing pins to act as a jig to keep everything straight, as you build it. Place a part, secure it with a couple of pins, on each side of the part, to keep it in position. I always built things like that on an old piece of plywood 1/4", with a piece of corkboard cork glued to it. The pins aren't inserted into the pieces, but instead along side of it to keep in place and straight.

A nice piece of foamboard could be used today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I make jigs from styrene to make my windows. I use 2 separate jigs for each window. One for the large frame that goes around the outside of the window and a separate jig for each sliding section. I just cut out a piece of styrene the size I need and use it for the pattern to make the jig. Goes very quickly and can be used for hundreds of windows. All are exactly the same size and go together in a few minutes. The wood glue won't stick to the styrene and they will just pop right out. This is where a NWSL chopper and a nice fine set of tweezers come in real handy. Here is a couple pics of how the jigs look. Good luck with you project. Ron

Back