Scale and how much space does a half circle really take up?

Strasburgnut, Since you are not looping in the L corners, the diameter that the radius is based on is not the width of the layout (30"), but a point of that corner to a distance off the layout. Take a yard stick and extend it to somewhere in this diagonal line of the 90 deg corner. Put your finger on about 28" and pivot the stick in your hand, left and then right 45 degs. See where it comes out and adjust from that. Also, you don't have to wait until you are in the corner to start your curve. This will also give you greater radius. Where you do have a loop then 22" is about it for a 48" bench. One thing you could do if you have room is to mushroom the ends of the 48" sections. This will give you even larger radii.

I've read all kinds of recommendations for gigantic radii with total disregard to what a persons layout can accommodate. With HO, you should be able to handle most anything out there with a 24" radius and probably even 22" with good track. Yes, passenger cars look better with large radii, but if you want them and your existing curves of say 24" will run them ok, then get them...I do. I run several large articulated locos, several 6 axle diesels, and 3 passenger trains with 80 foot cars, and almost none of my curves are larger than 28". My articulates even go into many areas of 22".

Regardless of scale, good trackwork is the most important thing you will do on any layout. If you cut back on the quality of workmenship here, you will regret it quick. If you take your time and do it correctly, you will have many hours of running without a derail. I seldom have one and it has always been a mechanical failure of the car or something on the track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rexhea,

Thanks for the advice. I have been able to understand that track work is important for any layout. Thanks for clarifying what I can run on what radius. This is going to be a lot of fun!

Back