Sand off tank car logo?

NYSW F45

Stupid me while assembling 1 of my walthers 16000 gallon tank cars never realized to try and remove the cargill writing. I had put the actual tank part together and was going to remove the lettering/#'s so i could use the green putty to fill the creases in and sand smooth. But stupid me kept saying that as I glued more parts to the tank. Eventually i had the truck bolsters on, brake details and lower support rod. I have not added anything to the top of the tank or ladders. Can I use a fine grit sand paper to remove the lettering and numbers so i can add some green putty and then sand that smooth? The car is to be used as a aqua train that New jersey transit uses in the fall to spray leaves off the tracks. Cars are painted white and have crappy stenciled on logo's and numbers. I just dont want the cargill logo and lettering showing through.

Steve, You could use what I use. It's a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Takes lettering and logos off but doesn't do any damage to the plastic of the car. They are about a $1 at the dollar store. Works really good, just my humble opinion.

really. i would've never thought about the magic eraser for this. That will definitely help out.

I read about it somewhere. Tried it, and liked it. If you just want to fade logo's and lettering for an old car or a patch job, it works great. Here's an example of fading lettering. Oh yeah, use it dry!! I've never tried it wet.

100_2289.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Comet brand cleanser (comes in a green cardboard cylinder at your local grocery store) works excellent for removing factory lettering. Just dip a Q-tip in water, and then the powdery Comet, and apply to the lettering and start scrubbing. It will come right off...

thanks for the tips guys. The walthers tank cars, are they painted black or black molded plastic?

If they are the ones I've had, they are molded in black plastic. You'll find out for sure once you try to remove the logo. :)

yea it was pretty easy to do. A little elbow grease and the lettering came right off. Next time i'll make sure I dont assemble 1 car before hand.

Back