Salvaging old rail

Ceresco2063

As I continue to dig through the boxed up just out of the packing crate from 1985 stuff I find all sorts of 'treasures'. Found two boxes of Model Power corkbed, and two boxes of minitrix/atlas flex. As with all my old mini-trix/atlas turnouts (25) all were painted and weathered back in the day, to the point many were inop as I found them, locked and 'rusted'.
As a test threw a few in a bowl of 'simple green' let em sit for a day, and then with a dremel,toothbrush and hot water now have 'clean' and operable turnouts. Had to remove botton plates and dry inners with hair dryer but now have more than enough operable turnouts.

So the plan is the outer mainline double loop will be KATO, all the inner freight, industry, and yard work will be the cleaned mini-trix/atlas. Will have to go manual on the pure mini-trix turnouts since motors are unsalvagable and the new design is not compatable. But the mini-trix/atlas turnout electric units are compatable.

Going to save me a boatload of money in the new layout.

From what I understand Mini-trix and Atlas combined during that period I was buying all this, so I have some pure mini-trix, and then some mini-trix/atlas.

I'm surprised the cork hasn't turned to dust by now.
Actually cork isn't all that fragile, even old stuff. As long as it hasn't totally dried out it'll still be in relatively decent shape. Wouldn't use it on a mainline but spurs and such - yes. I've got 30 year old cork on an old layout section that's still holding up well.

Back