Rust never sleeps…

AirbrushNo5

After finishing the tank car, I decided to hit my scrap piles with some rust pigments from Mig Ammo and AK..
Also started the gondola loads (Golden West on the left in the bottom pic)

Before and after pics…

IMG_3122.jpeg

IMG_3125.jpeg

Weathered the loader this AM…
Maybe it needs some more XF-86 on the tires

Well, the tires are like pigs, always wallowing around in the dirt and mud. Maybe some of that simulated on the tires.

and streaks of hydraulic fluid on any hydraulic actuators.

You would be surprised how clean a loader can be. If it's not in the mud it won't be muddy. The bucket however, loading scrap will be down to bare metal on the bottom front of the bucket. The sides on the front will wear the paint off from going into the pile.

Today I hit the loader wheels with some Mig Ammo North African Dust pigment and scrubbed them hard with a pig bristle brush…

post weathering (so far) and pre pics

IMG_3339.jpeg
IMG_3122.jpeg

Went to work on this Rapido car…
Originally the roof rust was just oils…
Then a few months ago I airbrushed some Tamiya rust mix over that…
Better but…still not happy…too one dimensional

Today I mixed up some Mig Ammo Dark Earth pigment with the leftover various rust pigments I had captured on the flyer I did gondola and scrap loads over…all in a pill bottle and stirred up.. I think it looks better

Before and after pics…
IMG_3356.jpeg

IMG_3357.jpeg

Better but…still not happy…too one dimensional
I like your work. Well done.

Rust is various colours; even close together. There are various shades of brown, yellow ochre and a brown red, not forgetting black. Not blatant. Just blended in. When dry a gentle coat of varnish will give a 'after the rain' effect. (Different to the normal.:))

Just my 2 centsworth.

Thanks…David 👍🏻
And going with your comment.. I have 3 different shades of “in the bottle” pigments..
Plus 1 of the above 3 mixed together saved from the paper after the initial application..
Today I added another colour mixing the dark brown with the 3 mix…

I have a bunch of other earth tones and white and black pigments I am going to experiment with in mixes..

I think we should be aiming for entropy rather than uniformity..

Back