Running light suggestions

Artieiii

My plan is to take a Bachmann cable car and kitbash it into a replica of Mr. Rogers neighborhood trolley. The cable car is dc only (ok for me) and does not come with running lights. I would like to add running lights (white in front and red in rear) and possibly lights on the top below the sign. If I go with led lights I assume I will need an inline resistor. Please help me to order the things that will be needed for this project.
Here is why I want it to look like:
Done_lit2.jpg

Here is what I have to start with:
41GQFCH5JDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks in advance
-Art

Hi Art,

Seems no one wants to comment!..... My 02c;

With DC only on the rails the lights will vary in brightness depending on how much the throttle is open - Stop the car, the lights will go out, which I suspect is not what you want.......

IMHO, the easiest way to do it would be with a small battery pack (say, a couple of AA's) mounted in the car (in the roof?) feeding the LED's.

Add a switch up in the roof or on the underside and off she goes.

Nice looking kit bash btw - Keep us informed!

Cheers,
Ian

Here is my progress so far

Here is my progress so far:
ATTACH]

Trolley001.jpg

Ian,
I have no Idea how I could hide the wires for the LED's. I really would not mind if the lights changed in intensity depending on the throttle as there is NO room for a battery. I think I may have to give up on lighting this model.
-Art

Looking good!

...I have no Idea how I could hide the wires for the LED's. I really would not mind if the lights changed in intensity depending on the throttle as there is NO room for a battery. I think I may have to give up on lighting this model.

Not yet!..... Before I go down a blind alley, this is HO, correct?

I'd be willing to bet "we" (;)) could get at least one AA in there somewhere - As part of a seat? On the underside?..... If not, then a "button cell" (big watch battery) could no doubt be squeezed in.

As for the wires, the thinnest (24-26ga) *solid* would be the way to go - This can be "formed" and glued onto the inside of the shell then painted - May even look like some nice detailing as the prototype will have wires running to the lights, probably in steel raceways - Make 'em a "feature".....

Another alternative I've thought about (but never tried) is the (uninsulated) flat copper stuff they sell on rolls for doll house lighting - It's real thin and adhesive on one side - Stick that on the inside (then paint) and no one will notice it.

I dunno about you, but the idea of the lights dimming as the throttle is reduced would drive me nuts.....

As always, my 02c,

Cheers,
Ian

Very interesting... I wanted to do something similar..

For wires, use magnet wire. These are enameled copper wire. There are essentially copper or aluminum wire covered with thin insulation. They are very thin and will work well.

What are you planning to use for lights? I would suggest you to use SMD LEDs, preferred would be 0603. They draw less power and can be powered with button cells. You might get them pre-soldered with magnet wire. Do check your LHS for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trolley modifications so far step by step.
I have trouble taking pictures during a projects construction so this is a summary:
ATTACH]

-Art

Ian,
The LED's were pre wired with a resistor and diode bridge and 6" leads to the bulbs. I bent the wires into the corner of the car next to one of the ceiling pillars and used CA glue to keep them in place then spray painted them red like the inside of the cab. I made a cover for the inside of the cupola out of an old CD drilled 2 holes for the LED's to poke through and left the 3rd one in the cupola to light it. Then I CA glued the false roof in place. The extra wire is coiled inside the cupola (i tacked it into place with CA glue). I used clear plastic strips to make cupola windows and spray painted the windows red. All in all I think it looks pretty good......now I'm off the the magic kingdom LOL.
-Art

Back