Running HO outside...

CbarM

HO all the way!
Hey guys, I am kinda curious as to why nobody has an outdoors HO layout? I am pretty sure G scale works the same (loco picks up power from the rails) and so I thought a guy could have a pretty monster outdoor layout if this was possible along with some really great photo ops! Is there such a system for HO where it can be radio controled possibly? Maybe have the power source come from a battery bank in an 89' auto deck right behind the unit for example?? Just another crazy idea while I sip away on my first cuppa joe this mornin...

Yea that would make sense. I wonder if a descent coat of paint might help the ties against UV's? One would just have to go around the layout before an op session to ensure that sticks n leaves n piles of dog sh*t are clear of the tracks...haha

I thought about doing HO outside for awhile as well. Honestly, whilem it could work, you'd probably end up replacing a lot of track due to corrossion in the rain and buckling in the sun. The little HO pieces just aren't meant for such use and abuse.

If you do want to get a start in a larger, outdoor scale, but can't or don't want to shell out for track-powered G scale trains, why not do what this guy did and use cheap battery-powered toy trains to make an outdoor layout. Some of these train sets are $50 or less, can be fairly easily modified and kitbashed to look less toy-like, and if something goes wrong with them, it's not like you've just lost a huge amount of money. I've played around with these trains in the yard for one summer, and they worked fairly well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH_3TVa3SYA

Bigger trains for less money. I've had fun with them. :)

Well I think if I am gonna invest in an outdoor railway then I would rather spend the money and do it right. Part of the reason why I never bought Digitrax decoders, Tsunami only. Would the HO nickel silver rails corrode much in the weather? I wouldnt think so...

perhaps you could lay a piece of NS rail outside for a few weeks and then see what the weather does to it.

Well it's easy enough to find out. Just toss a few pieces in the back yard and check on them in a couple months. :cool:

Regardless of whether or not the rails corrode, would you have enough time to get all of your trains to a safe, dry place if a thunderstorm suddenly erupts?

Yep I sure would cause livin on the praries ya can see a t-storm comin from half a day away...lol

I was thinking about attaching some used track I picked up off ebay to some 1x4x8's out in the yard. That would let me pick up my track in 8 foot sections and run at least one spur into the garage so my layout could almost put itself away.

Back