Running compatibilty

SP7201

I was wondering this question after reading some of the reviews of the Athearn Veranda Gas Turbine and has an interesting question to put before you all? Being that I am not a big fan of DCC (large collection of standard and pre-dcc brass) and just to show you how long I have been in the hobby I remember when the first Athearn SD-40-2's with their new generation (then) motors came out and they were compatable with the Atlas locomotive then. Is the current non-dcc locomotive of Athearn compatable with the current running Atlas locomotives? The reason I am asking this is I plan to purchase a standard Athearn Veranda Gas Turbine and want to also purchase a couple of the Silver series (no dcc or sound) SD-24's in UP and run them together as photos in a couple of the Gas Turbine books has shown. Any feed back?

I agree, unless of course you are running trains that would require that much power.

If you really want to run engines togetherthough, From my understanding the gearing in the current Athearn engines is more realistic than the older 'blue-box' engines so just because one egine used to run well with another doesn't mean that they do now.

It depends on the motors. Atlas' standard gear ratio is 14:1 and Athearn's RTR line is generally 12:1 meaning that Athearn's locomotives run faster. I'm not sure what the gear ratio for the turbine is, but SOME (very few) of Athearn's locomotives DO have a 14:1 (de facto standard) gear ratio.

Back