Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, probably as a free range for some the Eminants they want a domain for. If I recall correctly, Eminants are a type of bird that was engineered by breeding Emus with Politicians. they're not good for much, run around and leave piles of poo everywhere while squawking a lot.

🤪 :p
Big software company and compliant to their wishes Town Board. Someone didn’t look into the property background and the current 2 now very very angry owners. Thankfully we can afford and will fight this. The losers in all this, just the tax payers. Poo on them!

The flexible feed pipe to the commode started leaking, so a pan was put under it after drying and the water to it was shut off.
KARL -- Why not use 'Flex Tape'? 😁
Score one on the TV! :)

rule of thumb: 1 PSI per 10 degrees F { Up or down }
That's one I had not heard before, Thanks!

LEE - Happy belated Birth Day!

TomO - As it is Halloween Todeay - I will suppose that you are just trying to fool me with those Temps?
We only got to 77 yesterday (80 was planned). Today the guess is 84 and tomorrow 85? At 5 PM yesterday the humidity was 5% and there was a fire going about 20 miles east of us- really smokey!

I know HOT and COLD pretty well! From Nu Jousery to K.C. to Silverton, CO to Saudi Arabia to Albuquerque to California to Laughlin,NV and back to California.
FYI -- Laughlin (126) is hotter than Riyadh (118)!

WILLIE - Really lots of detail in those pic - gives a guy lots of ideas.

BBL - down and out the past couple days, sorry!

My first AH game was a friend's copy of "Luftwaffe". I then got Panzer Blitz and later Panzer Leader and Arab Israeli Wars though I later sold them. Those three were all based on the same game system. I also had a few others like Tobruk. I need to go find them -- they're in a box somewhere. I later got into Squad Leader and as I said eventually ended up with 2 copies of everything but the last one, "GI: Anvil of Victory." Later they came out with Advanced Squad Leader and I bought the rules and a few of the modules but have never played.

We also played games from SPI as well as two games from a company called Battleline -- "Dauntless" and "Air Force" which were air to air WW2 games. Avalon Hill eventually bought them per something I am reading online but we had the originals.

We later also got into D&D and AD&D in 8th grade (before the AD&D books were released except the Player's Handbook and the Monster Manual, so we kind of played a hybrid Basic D&D and AD&D until the later books. We played a ton of this throughout High School and I have been trying to get my kids interested. We've played a little 5E though 1E is still my favorite.
I have Luftwaffe! I'm certain there were others I have forgotten. I never heard of "Dauntless" and "Air Force". They sound like fun.

I bought my grandsons a Dungeons and Dragons game each. I doubt they played it. They didn't ask me to play if they did. One of those games is on the shelf in the room they have here.

I've seen some other listings online in the same or cheaper price range
Thank you! As cheap as I am I tend to be lazy and not search for a better price. I hope I won't need more but if I do, I will check Amazon. I like free delivery. I felt bad for the FedEx guy. That roll is heavy!

Hearts of Iron computer game is quite cool. They use the same (or a variant or offshoot) system for games like Universalis Europa (play any country in scenarios from like 1400s on)... And expansions or offshoots of the system for games like Stellaris (space exploration)

I stay away from computer games. They're hugely addictive for me so for now I stay away.

Steel Panthers was awesome back when it was available.
I know what you mean about these games being addictive. When I was disabled and having a good day, I could spend countless hours playing these games. I'd lose all sense of time. I'd finally look at the clock and see it was after midnight. That is extremely late for me!

I also played Allied General and some of the Dungeons and Dragons computer games. I remember the Eye of the Beholder trilogy; my oldest daughter enjoyed those games, and I did too. I played Baldur's Gate and other D&D computer games. I'm certain there were others I have forgotten.

A week ago over the week end my son and I got the boiler for the snow melt system / backup radiant heat source mounted on the wall and we got the exhaust flue and fresh air (concentric pipes) mostly installed. After getting that installed it looks like we may need to move the boiler over an inch. We had to get the flue piping in as the insulation guys were there last week and sprayed in the closed cell high density insulation in the house. In the garage it is just a 1" nominal to seal and this week they will blow in fiber of some sort in the garage.

View attachment 176146View attachment 176144

Last week the spray foam guys were there and put a nominal 3-4" layer in the complete house ceiling as well as a 1" layer to seal the garage, in the small entryway, and in the cold storage under the porch. Then last week another team showed up and started stuff R-38 batts into the ceiling. They got most of the 24" joist space done and just need a small amount of 24" and all the 16" joist spaced batts (doing it today) and that team will also blow the fiber insulation into the garage and entryway and put smaller bats in the cold storage as well as mineral wool in the walls in the basement music room. Their truck could only hold so-much of the batts and they installed basically all they had last Friday (on bundle was left for today).

View attachment 176142View attachment 176143View attachment 176140View attachment 176141

Over the weekend we started laying the 1" special foam insulation on the main floor floor. This has nubs that hold the radiant pex tubing (1/2" ID) down. We got the master bedroom 2/3 done, the master bathroom, the laundry room, my daughter's room, and 3/4 of the son's room. The two rooms we didn't completely finish is because the ceiling insulation in those corners of the rooms were not done yet (16" spaced) and we didn't want to put the floor insulation down before the ceiling so that it doesn't get damaged by their ladders etc. The pic of the master bedroom has funny perspective as its about 2/3 done but looks a lot less in the pic.

We still have the walk in closets, the non master bathroom, hallway, and the main kitchen/family/dining room and the mud room and pantry to do. Need to get it done this week and try and get the tubing down. Busy week. Once the tubing is down the gypcrete guy can come in.

View attachment 176139View attachment 176138

Well done, you are making steady progress. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Doing your best is all anyone can do.

No wonder you don't have time for games.

TomO - As it is Halloween Todeay - I will suppose that you are just trying to fool me with those Temps?
We only got to 77 yesterday (80 was planned). Today the guess is 84 and tomorrow 85? At 5 PM yesterday the humidity was 5% and there was a fire going about 20 miles east of us- really smokey!

I know HOT and COLD pretty well! From Nu Jousery to K.C. to Silverton, CO to Saudi Arabia to Albuquerque to California to Laughlin,NV and back to California.
FYI -- Laughlin (126) is hotter than Riyadh (118)!
Sherrel, unfortunately I do not joke around with temperatures or talking about the White Gifts From Above (aka WGFA) and also know as SNOW

IMG_1877.png

conditions currently, like Mike wrote yesterday come January these temperatures will be shorts weather, but not now!

from the nice but usually wrong folks at the Weather Channel the forecast for the week, pretty darn good
IMG_1878.png

Big software company and compliant to their wishes Town Board. Someone didn’t look into the property background and the current 2 now very very angry owners. Thankfully we can afford and will fight this. The losers in all this, just the tax payers. Poo on them!

Eminent Domain is so mis-used. The Foudning Father's must be rolling in their graves (for far more than this). Private entities (like big software company) should never be the recipients of "seized" land through eminent domain. Good luck on this one. Might also be interesting to start talking about putting forth opposition candidates to the town board's current inhabitants.

Eminent Domain is so mis-used. The Foudning Father's must be rolling in their graves (for far more than this). Private entities (like big software company) should never be the recipients of "seized" land through eminent domain. Good luck on this one. Might also be interesting to start talking about putting forth opposition candidates to the town board's current inhabitants.
Chad, totally agree about the FF!

I have absolutely no interest in the Town politics and will just let the fight play out. Even if they win in a few years it will be costly. The tax payers in Town will hear about that starting in a couple weeks. I agreed to an interview with the locally based newspaper today for Friday

My daughter just called her mother who is in California and asked what Dad did? Seems she has a friend who works for the town she was having lunch with today when the person said the Town chair was pretty upset about signing papers this week for “eminent domain”. Told her mom she had to stop a big smile when the person told her what property that she immediately recognized as ours the big software company needs for the roads. What the daughter found out, the roads will be needed for additional fire access but for future, like 5 years out. The friend said until the serving of papers the Town chair did not know the people’s name as the property is in a corporate name. They know our names now but the daughter’s friend never connected her as being our daughter even though she uses a hyphenated last name.

Big software had a chance from 2007 to 2014 to buy the land from the bankruptcy courts. Terry bid on it in 2014 and the 1250 acres finally closed with her winning in 2015. They have not been the best of neighbors since always asking to buy little chunks of property. We always figured it was to pre-emptively stop the developement we have done and planned to do. I certainly am not afraid o a billionaire or her legion of Attorneys.

What we are afraid of is a change in our property descriptions from agriculture or unusable to anything else. Our already ridiculous property taxes with any changes would run us out after after a fight we probably would lose. We are already are fighting a description change on the SIL‘s vineyard from agriculture to commercial. There though we have some help from a consortium of Wisconsin vineyards that the SIL joined 5-6 years ago.

I'm not familiar with all the details, but I remember a case of eminent domain when I lived in Baltimore County. The county wanted to expand and improve a park on the Middle River where it meets Martin's Lagoon. The problem was a single homeowner refused to sell. I don't blame him. He had a beautiful location on a deep-water lagoon. He had a long pier with a hydraulic boat lift and more. He fought the county for over two years, but he eventually won! They built the park around him, but they had to pave and lengthen his driveway. They also had to pay his legal bills. I followed the story in the Baltimore Sun.

A man's home is his castle.

Good Morning All!

42F @ 79% and somewhat clear. Rain starts tomorra.

Alfred was here. We saw something like the pix about 10 years ago; although I have no clue if same birds or not. Back then probably 100 of them landed on a choke-cherry bush/tree and after about 5 minutes left. Not a choke-cherry left on the thing. 1st pix was yesterday, other 2 from this morning and looked to be a quiet large population - guessing a couple hundred. You can't see the whole group. Anyway anybody have any idea of the type of birds these are?

IMGP0839.JPG

IMGP0840.JPG

IMGP0841.JPG

Later

Good evening all. A day of showers.
I have an appointment at the doctor's tomorrow. Hopefully I receive some kind of treatment for the pain in my ankle. It is driving me mad when I stand for a little time or walk.

Managed to see the train room (sitting on a stool.)

'Harwood' about to start its next part of its duty. The small platform behind was built for the Clarence Dock Goods Yard workers. Now the local people use it bringing extra revenue to the Company.

IMG_2847.JPG

End of the line at Clarence Dock. It has been raining and puddles are there.

IMG_2844.JPG

Good Morning All!

42F @ 79% and somewhat clear. Rain starts tomorra.

Alfred was here. We saw something like the pix about 10 years ago; although I have no clue if same birds or not. Back then probably 100 of them landed on a choke-cherry bush/tree and after about 5 minutes left. Not a choke-cherry left on the thing. 1st pix was yesterday, other 2 from this morning and looked to be a quiet large population - guessing a couple hundred. You can't see the whole group. Anyway anybody have any idea of the type of birds these are?

View attachment 176176

View attachment 176177

View attachment 176178

Later
They are Starlings. We have a flock of 50 or so that come in once in awhile and devour any feed we put out for the other birds.

TODD - I was a little lot slow making the alfred connection -- DUHHH!

TomO - give me some lat/long numbers via pm? I'd like to see what area you are talking about?

The fire is still going East of us with the off/on Santa Ana winds -- It is called the: Highland Fire if you are interested. I would rather it stay where it is, or go away! If it gets South of the 79 h/w it can do some real damage in the Palomar area! https://www.google.com/maps/@33.441...a=!4m2!21m1!1s/g/11l65qykgt!5m1!1e8?entry=ttu

DAVID - Sorry over the ankle, and foot! Hope it gets better quickly!

Last edited:
Good Afternoon All. All right now, it's time for some more pictures from the Texas City Museum's very large N scale layout.
IMG_0846.JPG

A snow scene.
IMG_0843.JPG

A large yard.
IMG_0842.JPG
IMG_0841.JPG

Another view of this yard. I posted a different yard this morning.
IMG_0840.JPG
IMG_0839.JPG

Three shots of their UP passenger train. It's quite long and pulled by an ABBA motive power set.
IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0837.JPG
IMG_0838.JPG

There's even an operating wind turbine.
IMG_0835.JPG

I think that this is all of the N scale pictures that I have. In the next installment, I'll go to the HO scale layout, which is nearly as large as this layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back