Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fat and happy! USDA choice T-bone steaks over 1" thick for dinner. At $4.99/pound my wallet is fat and happy too! I could not eat even one entire steak. I had to save room for corn on the cob and perfectly baked golden potato. No problem, I love leftovers. Thank you, God, for everything, especially for my fantastic and beautiful wife.

Stock up on beef now, these prices won't last. I'm sorry for the ranchers suffering from drought. Those who raise beef in Maryland will be making a small fortune soon, I suspect.

The Orioles made it to the last day of September before being eliminated from the playoff chase. I would have loved to see them make the playoffs, but I am incredibly happy with their performance this year. "Wait till next year!"

Looking forward to great games on Sunday. The Ravens host the Bills, and The Commanders take on the Cowboys in Dallas. No idea who will win. but they should be fun to watch!

I hope Everybody has a great weekend!

great open house today. Had about 15 visitors. Some brought their own locos but most ran trains off and on. Some tried a little freight delivery procedures. Some were interested on how an op session is put together. The layout ran perfectly including the signals, turnouts, boosters and the roundhouse turntable. I had one incident where a throttle didn't want to acquire a locomotive until I realized it was a "R" throttle and had to be plugged in to acquire. Lots of technical questions from benchwork to signal control software and detailing fright car loads.

Fun fact I found out, heart attacks are usually caused by calcium forming in the heart arteries, a bit breaking off, and then blood caught behind it, BUT regular consumption of k2 helps get rid of that specific issue, whilst taking k2 you can get tablets mixed with vit d3 very good for you in the winter months when you fail to get natural sunlight,

All most done with my vinyl plank installation. There's a learning curve that comes with this install. If the floor was perfectly flat it would be a easy job, but the 60 plus year old hard wood is slightly wavey and that creates problems. Because of this a few of the end joins did not click into place. I figure the only thing I could do is glue these problem joins. Not very many glues work on vinyl. I found that JB Super Weld does. Apply glue put something heavy on the project and wait 60 to 90 seconds or use the ultraviolet light that cures the glue in 5 seconds. I used some scrape pieces (blue tape) with my tapping block so no edges get ruined in the process. About 8 or 9 more sections to install I'll finish up tomorrow.
George

Floor_01.JPG

floor_02.JPG

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Thanks for all the button-clicks and/or comments on my Friday post - George, Jaz, Hughie, Louis, Chet, Patrick, Guy, Smudge, Chad, James, TomO, Curt

I see that Terry hasn't posted here since opened the thread - hope he wasn't too seriously affected by the remnants of Ian.

Curt - That tree never really was a threat to the house, we knew from the way it was leaning, exactly where it would land when it fell. However, we did have the arborists remove a large protruding branch from another pine tree which I did consider potentially dangerous, because it was causing the tree to lean in the direction of the house.

. . .
Nice photo at Point of Rocks. That looks like a 25 TN self propelled steam crane turned diesel.
. . .
Joe - actually that crane, whether self-propelled or not, was part of a work train being led by this GP7:

B&O_GP7_6402.jpg

While we're on the subject of cranes, here's yet another shot of an American crane:

AmericanMaintenanceCrane.jpg

(Hard to get decent depth-of-field with a 2016-vintage cell phone camera...)

I didn't get as much done today as I had planned, since I slept until 10am (very late for me!) - musta been quite sleep-deprived! Anywho, because of my usual Saturday morning chores, I didn't get out to the trainroom until ~1pm. Apparently my area did get some rain last night, and even though there wasn't any rain falling when I looked out, I didn't think it was would be a safe time to do any spray painting since the air was still quite humid.

So I decided to clear the trainroom of all the leftover empty boxes where I had stored my rolling stock over the past 10 years, before I acquired this tool cabinet back in July with drawers perfectly sized to store trains. I stacked all the boxes in the attic.

I honestly can't remember if I already shared a picture of the cabinet here or not, but here's a photo of when I finally got it positioned under the benchwork:

ToolCabinetForTrains_closed.jpg

I had to place a dolly under one end because the casters didn't swivel, and I need to be able to pull this cabinet straight out whenever I need to do any work under that part of the layout.

Having this cabinet will make it much simpler to store-away and pull out freight cars that I plan to use in op sessions, without having to find places to set 10 different 4ft x 1ft boxes that were stacked upon each other but had to be opened from the top.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Well, howdy there fat and happy people!

It’s fat and happy Troy again.

Spent the day at the gaming convention. Worked in the booth for the game company I demo for. Volunteer gig. But the boss man used the company account to take volunteers out to Bowdies Steakhouse.

Here’s the menu:

BBCC0C96-DD64-4559-9E07-514D76444FE4.jpeg

Here’s my filet

FE288CFA-CEAA-4513-89EE-D79C43EAE0A0.jpeg

And here's the carrot cake
983BE399-0953-478B-A933-CC691C172B58.jpeg

I’m stuffed.

Back home again late tomorrow. So another Starbucks morning. It’s the closest place for coffee. And, I’ve hung out at the chain enough to know which of the brews I like. The darker the better

Spent the day at the gaming convention. Worked in the booth for the game company I demo for. Volunteer gig. But the boss man used the company account to take volunteers out to Bowdies Steakhouse.

Here’s the menu:

View attachment 152721

I was invited once (2015) to a fancy steakhouse in San Francisco by some people I did contract software work for. The cheapest was a sirloin for about $60 (and is what I had). NY Strip was like $75-90, the American / Wagyu hybrid at $125 and the real Wagyu -- don't ask. And the other bits were priced the same and we also had their desert sampler at the end. Nice when someone else is paying! Not some place I'd go when my wallet was on the line.

Glad it worked out for you Troy and someone else was paying!

Reading this menu is making me hungry (despite the In-N-Out 3x3 I had for supper as I was treating my brother-in-law and son who worked all day with me on the house getting ready for next weekend and the waterproofing of the basement layer.)

Here’s the menu:

View attachment 152721

Here’s my filet

View attachment 152722

And here's the carrot cake View attachment 152723

I’m stuffed.

Back home again late tomorrow. So another Starbucks morning. It’s the closest place for coffee. And, I’ve hung out at the chain enough to know which of the brews I like. The darker the better
Troy, always great to be rewarded with a good meal. Actually those prices are not bad except for the Market Price for veggies. I always laugh when I see that behind veggies and lobster. The places we avoid are the ones where the menu has no pricing.

The best part of falling temperatures is that the grass doesn't grow as quickly.

Looks like I'll be able to skip the back 40 this week!

Gotta go pick up a buss fuse for our microwave. It blows fuses ever since my wife exploded a bowl of water & vinegar, which blew open the door. I had to replace a few parts, but apparently something is still loose in the door pick-up. I think it's arcing when we open the door & trip the auto-turn-off.

Then mow for a couple hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back