Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all! 61 degrees on the way up to 76. Should be a really nice day. Taking off work early for a doctor appointment. Got the model railroaders club meeting this evening and I'm really looking forward to that.
Running late, so I'll end it here. Hope you all have a great day!
Ken

Morning all,

Started my morning at the police station. They held me for about 1/2 hour before letting me go and then I stopped for 5 minutes and got shot. Now I'm at work. I needs a huge cup of something.

Actually had to fix a problem for a records clerk at the police department who works 3rd shift, and then stopped at the city rec. center where I had a flu shot scheduled for 6:30 this morning. Now I can't flu anywhere. Now back in the office, but still need a huge cup of coffee. Thanks Flo.

Not much else to report except we may have storms late evening into the overnight.

Good Morning Gang. Clear and 60° here in North Central Texas. We're under a flash flood watch even though it hasn't rained, and there is none on the radar in Texas. But the NWS is predicting 2"+ for tomorrow. We'll see! Meanwhile I am enjoying not having to mow right now, but that will change if we really get rain. I think that this Pacific hurricane Pamela is going to make it up here as a tropical depression, although I don't think it will arrive until Thursday. I just don't know where tomorrow's rain is coming from though.
Wife is doing well, the pain in her leg is reduced and she's only taking a half of the Hydrocodone pill now, at extended intervals. The home health nurse cancelled yesterday but will be here this morning. Other than taking blood draws, we're able to do everything else ourselves, from cleaning the wound and changing the bandages to administering the infusions. Showers are a bit of an issue, as we have to wrap Saran Wrap over the PICC port on her arm, and stick her leg into a trash bag and tape the top tight. I also have to assist her getting into and out of the walk-in shower itself. No fun & games allowed!:(

Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday regarding the shots of Rita's Antiques; Steve J, Guy, Chad, James, Dave, Sherrel, Tom O, Patrick, Christian, Hughie, Joe, Curt, Garry, Ken.
Please note that Guy gave a reaction, so we know that he's still checking in.

Just a single jumbo breakfast burrito for me this morning Flo. Back to the traditional OJ for thirst.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I pretty much finished up the walls of Ramone's. I finished painting all of the remaining foundations and I painted all of the window sills.
IMG_7907.JPG

I also gave all of the walls a mortar wash which came out fair.
IMG_7908.JPG

The next step in this build is to add corner braces, something that I never did on the smaller Downtown Deco structures that I have built. Then I will assemble the walls. Meanwhile I will also start applying the clear backing to the windows, although I haven't decided whether I am retaining the original gray color for them yet. I did not work on crates yesterday, although I did cut out the labels.

Patrick - Nice progress on the Processing Plant. I have posted before regarding triple axle trucks. I learned more than 30 years ago that if you adjust the center axle down to the minimum (or even slightly under) the NMRA recommendation, it allows a bit more movement of the trucks and can prevent derailments.
Christian - That is a nice size for a layout. Lots of room for scenery if you want it.
Hughie - That's great news on the diabetes. I definitely need to lose some more weight myself, but have been keeping the A1C around 5.7. I do use the Metformin. Pasta is my hangup, I have eliminated rice, pastries and most white bread, and I use almond flour in my cooking endeavors, except chicken-fried steak!
Tom O - Grocery shortages haven't hit here yet. Labor shortages are apparent here but not severe.
Curt - good to see you making some more progress after the rebuild.

Time for me to move on this morning. Everyone have a wonderful Tuesday. Stay safe. Since I started this post, it has clouded up and some rain is developing in Central Texas about 200 miles away.

Good morning from South Central Wisconsin. The weather is Fall like as it should be but after last week’s 80’s this weeks 60’s feels cold bit it is seasonal. We are to be dry today after almost a total of 4” since Saturday. Wet predicted though for tomorrow.

Terry and her 6 rescue horses are not doing well. Our Vet says 2 will not make it but the faraway county has to have their Vet make the final decision. They will send a Vet down to consult with ours. I asked our Vet why not done online but nope has to inspect the horses themselves. Terry is out there now. We will ride later when it gets out of the 50’s.

I now have 30, yep 30 pulpwood cars. I am working on 15 of them mainly weathering. I doubt I can get all 30 weathered by time I leave on 10/23. If not I will finish up in December and most likely sell 6 of the duplicate WC ones as they still seem to be getting the most money in the FB sales groups.

I have been test running the new trackage and it works fine. I have been working on designing a 4 track staging yard with a center mainline and dropping it below the current shelf. Still not sure.

Back to Hughie’s announcement. As I wrote somewhere above yesterday folks that are not diabetic have little clue what we go through. That’s not a knock but life as we are different and when you are different people don’t understand. It is an everyday fight to make sure you don’t screw up and mess up your numbers that are so meaningful to diabetic health. I swim daily, I walk the vigorous “magic” 2 miles, I watch my foods and I am still a diabetic. Hughie, you are my diabetic hero and role model. Congrats again as I am so happy for you. No insulin here, I pop 2000mg of Metforim and 2 other pills in the morning that I can’t recall the name of.

Enjoy your day
TomO
77F6079B-812F-4C0F-A519-C212D80CCB95.jpeg

Just playing in the transload yard. I know I want the propane to be here but moved away from the tracks toward the lower right corner. Yes, that is a popped rail behind the propane tank. Discovered it around 10 last night.

Morning RR & train-loving people! We are starting the day with a chilly 48 degrees looking for a 65F high later on.
The Spousal Unit never made it out of her recliner overnight but had to find a blanket.
The RED SOX put on quite a show last evening. That was a really good BB game!
I fell asleep halfway of the Dodger game and had to ask the missus who won. I have never really been a Dodger fan, but since Dodger Blue is in the veins of all the family - guess I better not "dislike" the team.
I remarked to the wife last evening that I think it's terrible that they most all look like refugees from a homeless encampment.
I think that they all might play better ball if they weren't trying to make some sort of statement with the hair, beads, and continuous adjusting with the batting gloves - just call me old-fashioned.

James - lotsa pic of that track equipment - what does it all do? Strange looking stuff! Any ideas?

Curt - Good luck with the auto repairs. Sorry, it had to happen - always leaves everyone involved in a mess even without injuries. I'm not understanding your crossing work?

Well, I'll go back to my corner now! Getting a little more used to the MAC - Still having to ask the Spousal Unit how to do the same thing over and over. Maybe it will start to sink in. I do like the speed of things NOT taking long to load - BAMB - they are there! What's that song, 'Guess I'll make it somehow'?
Cheers, and thanks for the help TERRY, JAZ, and others.

I have a son 56 and daughter 50 who are both about to lose a six-figure job because they refuse to get the jab!
Why couldn't I have had more normal children?
I told them both to NOT come to me - I don't have it anymore - and I am serious!

TomO, Ken and Willie, There is a book by a Dr. Fung about diabetes. In it he suggests that we, diabetics, are treating the results of diabetes with Metformin and other drugs, even insulin, but we are not treating the diabetes itself. It made a lot of sense to me. He does go on about how it should be treated, which I followed. In extreme cases he even recommends fasting and how to manage that. I was on 2,000 mg daily of Metformin.
I said "if it's white don't eat it". That is pretty much true, but, and that's a careful but, a couple slices of bread maybe once a month as a reward doesn't hurt. I found if a diet punishes you, you won't last.
I also found that I had to get my weight down to a point that my BMI was in the normal range, not overweight and certainly not obese. Once I got BMI normal my A1C started dropping from 6.7. As I maintained normal, A1C continued to drop. It was a 2 1/2 year journey, but well worth the effort. I would recommend you look for Dr. Fung's book, or just listen to one of his YouTube sessions and see what you think.

STAY SAFE
LATER
1634059327913.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a son 56 and daughter 50 who are both about to lose a six-figure job because they refuse to get the jab!
You guys still watch the over paid, entitled, immature young men play that bat and ball game?
what does it all do? Strange looking stuff! Any ideas?
Hughie, you are my diabetic hero and role model. Congrats again as I am so happy for you.
I pretty much finished up the walls of Ramone's.
Sherrel: This is a classic case of strong feelings getting in the way of sound judgment. I feel your pain.
Chad: Yes I do...I also enjoy watching over paid and entitled young people playing with sticks on ice. (Even more entertaining).
Sherrel: I think the larger one is what's called a "Torsion Beam Tamper", the other, a Ballast Regulator.
Hughie: That is fantastic news. Congratulations, and keep it up!
Willie: I like the way Ramone's is coming along.
TomO: Better call out the Section Gang, pronto!
Christian: Nice start. My first layout was 4'x7' on casters. Fit under the bed when not in use. Amazing what you can place on something that size.

As I alluded to before, NHL Hockey opens tonight with an ESPN Doubleheader, that I will be able to access on ESPN+. Tomorrow, there are four contests, two on TNT that I will not be able to access, (as of now), and two in Canada on Rogers Sportsnet, that I will be able to access. Had to laugh at an article Bashing Disney for placing so much faith in streaming sports, on CNBC, (Which is owned by Cable Operator, Comcast). As I said the other day, you have to follow the money behind the opinion. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, the IBS has returned after an extended absence. :( Back to watching what I eat...

Today is another cloudy, damp Jersey Fall day, with expected high of 70°, this afternoon. We are also looking at a couple days where it may reach the low 80s.

NYC 168975 xm 10-11-2021.jpg

Finished NYC box car with light weathering, Kadee # 148s and IM Metal wheels. Apparently the wheels in the previous CP car that didn't work, were not IM wheels but were possibly Proto 2000 (pre Walthers) wheels. Next on the docket, are two more Accurail box cars, and the upgrade to the Atlas covered hopper.

I was just looking at a map of the great lakes and pondered an imponderable...

Serious question... why is the UP of Mich not part of Wisconsin? And, why haven't Michiganders just given it to Wis and said "Deal with it?"

Better Question, why hasn't Wisconsin just grabbed it. It's closer to them than to the mitten part of the state?

Michigan was two separate indian nations going back to BC era. Borders came about after several wars between the tribes and later with Europeans. With the advent of nuke weapons and the Big Mac bridge, all parties are content, thus the invention of the auto industry in Detroit along with the even more complex inner city slums.

Morning RR & train-loving people! We are starting the day with a chilly 48 degrees looking for a 65F high later on.
The Spousal Unit never made it out of her recliner overnight but had to find a blanket.
The RED SOX put on quite a show last evening. That was a really good BB game!
I fell asleep halfway of the Dodger game and had to ask the missus who won. I have never really been a Dodger fan, but since Dodger Blue is in the veins of all the family - guess I better not "dislike" the team.
I remarked to the wife last evening that I think it's terrible that they most all look like refugees from a homeless encampment.
I think that they all might play better ball if they weren't trying to make some sort of statement with the hair, beads, and continuous adjusting with the batting gloves - just call me old-fashioned.

James - lotsa pic of that track equipment - what does it all do? Strange looking stuff! Any ideas?

Curt - Good luck with the auto repairs. Sorry, it had to happen - always leaves everyone involved in a mess even without injuries. I'm not understanding your crossing work?

Well, I'll go back to my corner now! Getting a little more used to the MAC - Still having to ask the Spousal Unit how to do the same thing over and over. Maybe it will start to sink in. I do like the speed of things NOT taking long to load - BAMB - they are there! What's that song, 'Guess I'll make it somehow'?
Cheers, and thanks for the help TERRY, JAZ, and others.

I told them both to NOT come to me - I don't have it anymore - and I am serious!

Sherrell, I don't know the names of the equipment BUT the smaller on of the 2 has a damper and grinders. The larger one with all the trolley looking wheels on the front deals with alignments and such........

By popular request, the extremely complicated track plan.😄 It took me a lot of hours to draw it. I'm using Roco H0 track code 83 made in Austria, Europe.
It's not a North American track but I have a full box of it. So let's roll ! The curves radius is 22". I hope I can run six axles diesels on this layout. I'll add some turnouts and sidings later.

ROCO 40-2.jpg

Actually, many of the Yoopers living in the UP would like to become part of Wisconsin and this concept has been tossed about for years and also there's been ideas of the UP becoming the 51st State, called "Superior".

Greg
I have read this many times but when I spent time in the UP, during 90’s an 2000’s, the UPPERS didn’t seem to care. Might be changing though with all the city folk purchasing the shore lands.

Being a State, IMO not enough of a paying tax base. They need to make DC and Puerto Rico states 1st.

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back