Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all! 64 degrees and sunny, on the way up to 89 today. Pretty hot for October, but it beats Winter cold I suppose.

Today is sadly the last day of my 4 day weekend. Accomplished far less than I had hoped the 4 days, but it was still great not being at work. I like the work I do, but it's very hard on my feet and back. Trying to find something different, but for now gotta stay where I am.

Didn't get any train time in, but hope to soon. Still thinking about how I want to set up a switching layout. I've got a idea of what I want. Just have to refine it a bit.

Hope you all have a great day!
Ken

Good morning modelers from the world. It’s Tom in Wisconsin on a wet morning, high humidity and a July feeling in October. We might hit 88f/31.1c degrees today.

Terry and I will be in the hockey rink on the UW campus enjoying another game of the Badger women. 6-0 win yesterday and the raising of another NCAA Championship banner.

Boris, thanks for responding, great answer

Have a great day folks
TomO

Howdy ....

Willie ..... I like your "Earl's" industry. Well done !

Regarding wires in our poles. Here is a picture of some SD7's hauling coal in Illinois. Look at the utility poles behind the locomotives. The worse appear so small, you really can not see them .... So, I don't bother putting wires on my poles. I have about 80' of track with poles next to them. That would be a lot of wire. It would be 24 wires times 80'.

47713655731_c89def6eea.jpg

Everybody ...... Have a nice day.

Sherrel .... I have not heard anything about that outdoor railroad. Can you tell us about it? Looks great.
Sherrel, nice picture. 7.5” gauge???
Thanks, guys -- this will be short as I made a HUGE mistake getting this MACbook! First of all I speak "computer" just about as much as my Spanish! I amorally struggling with the "PAD" as I have always used a mouse. I keep reaching to the side for the mouse and when I am not doing that, I am trying to move things by touching the screen. In short, I should have just stayed with Windows!
I presume that there is a way to download my files from Windows? I do need a few of them. I DO LIKE the speed at which this works and the fact that a few things that the Spousal Unit has helped show me works great.
HOW IN BLAZES DO I STOP THE ADS ON MR HERE? THEIR ALL OVER THE PLACE?

TomO and Garry -- Yes it is 7.5 inch gauge. I'll have to get back on the Windows machine to find and put up photos.
By luck I found trackage on google earth of a neighbor - two miles by road - who has 20 acres of railroad. I met and for 3-4 years helped him build and lay track -- and he gave me a key to the place and I had the run of the place anytime I wanted to go over and work. I could take the two dogs and just let them run all over - it was fantastic. In addition to the Burlington units, he had a FM trainmaster, two Jeep 7's, and a SW something - and a complete machine shop with lathes, milling machine, and all sorts of drill presses and welding equipment.
I built over 40 turnouts and pretty sure at least 1.5 miles of track - I would bring home boxcars and flats to replace roofs and decks that were in dire need of repair and replacement.
sorry about the bold!

Anyway, The man's (he was a widower) daughter and SIL moved back with him and then the trouble started. The lazy, worthless, never did a thing, SIL started in on me about my dogs running loose and we had numerous arguments where it escalated that he threaten ed to shoot them if they came on the property to which I replied back to him that if he did that I would shoot him as well.
AND that my friends is why I no longer have the nice playpen that I had grown accustom too! BOB, the owner, apologized to me over it all, but I told him that I just could not be in the company, or sight, of the SIL even without the dogs, and the reason I enjoyed working on the RR was to be able to let them have the freedom to roam. Must have really got to me because I have not even turned up that road in over 5 years. BOB was the nicest guy in the world and he couldn't stand the S"IL either -- "But what can I do" -- he would say?
I'll try and post a few pic from the HP when I have a little time .. back to the grind. FRANCINE, Steak and eggs this morning, please, with grits, bacon, and OJ - thanks

Afternoon all,

Supposed to be 76° for a high today, we'll see.

Well, I had hoped to have some news about getting some building kits via auction. I have to figure shipping into the cost, so needless to say, I didn't get them. With my final bid and shipping, was what the models would be new from the manufacturer. I also didn't want the rest of the stuff as I already have about 15 pounds of brass track and many older tyco and Bachman engines. Oh well, still more out there later.

Train room time later this afternoon as I still have work to on the transfer station.

Good afternoon. Raining and 65°. This precludes setting up to use the saw outside. :( Tomorrow, is another day.
CP 143209 XM Box 10-09-2021.jpg

This is the car that had the heavy white on the right side. It looks a whole lot better, IMHO,
The next two projects are a Atlas LV PS-2 Covered Hopper, most likely in Cement service out of Allentown, PA.
lv50898 weathering model.jpg

This is a close numbered prototype photo, from the Conrail era.
Another project for the upcoming week, is SA xm box #226. Photo is of similar PS-1 Boxcar SA 321, taken in Brooklyn, NY, October 1962.
SA 321, Brooklyn, N.Y., 10181962.jpg

Thanks, guys -- this will be short as I made a HUGE mistake getting this MACbook! First of all I speak "computer" just about as much as my Spanish! I amorally struggling with the "PAD" as I have always used a mouse. I keep reaching to the side for the mouse and when I am not doing that, I am trying to move things by touching the screen. In short, I should have just stayed with Windows!

Afternoon All,

Started out with a couple of minor things around the house, then spent about 4 hours today :D working on the underframe of the coal mine parking lot. I still need to cut and attach the styrene "surface" and add the wood inserts between the 3 tracks the exit runs over. I really didn't want to go over 3 tracks but it was my only option.

Christian- Gives new meaning to chasing your own tail!😄

Mikey- Interesting scene.

Greg- Very nice scene. Years ago I tried the Rapido (I believe) eazy peazy telephone poles and wiring. Before I was done I was so frustrated I threw everything in the garbage.

Joe- Nice photos. I actually have RS1 5633 in my diesel collection. It's a Atlas Classic Collection (black box) that I put on the train phone and enlarged number boards. It's a great runner and one of my favorites.

Willie- Everything looks great.

Garry- Nice 1:1 photo.

Sherrel- Sounds like a shame.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy ....

Sherrel ..... Wow ! I can see how you would not want to talk about that experience. That's awful! Such a shame because it looks like a fun outdoor model railroad.

All my team is currently working on a new project.

Christian ...... Good luck with the new project. Thanks for telling us about Bretagne / Brittany . Very interesting, and very nice scenery.

Everybody .... Have a good evening.

CURT = You beat me to the punch! The first thought in my mind is a dog chasing his tail - LOL!

I think I have a couple videos on U=tube: Look for 'Railroading through, or thru, the Walnuts'
I forget what name I used?

JOE - That RS-1 photo is beautiful!
The Dodgers remembered to bring their bats to the game last night! Was a very good game!

OK -- I found it -- I had a mis-spelling in the title ...

I thought I had done more -- track goes all over twenty acres and at that speed - it takes 35 minutes to make a complete circle. Then you could take the reverse loop and do the same route in the other direction!

Well, I'm a bit concerned that you asked, but since you did. I do NOT wear the kilt highland style. You must remember that I am Welsh, not Scots. Those skirt-lengths might be fine for free-hanging Scotsmen . . . . .
It's a reference to an old Spike Milligan play on words joke, the correct answer being, "Nay, it's all in perrfect working orderr"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back