Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to laugh or cry if this has happened to you
BA1690CE-F9BD-4D45-9EE9-91715C14B5CF.jpeg

Howdy ....

Non-model-railroad .... Yesterday, we put solar powered lighted caps on the posts for the railing of the deck. Some of the 24 of them did not work, and it was frustrating fixing them. They are cheaply made. in one I fixed, I had to re-solder the LED on a tiny circuit board.

Some of you were talking about Siri, etc. ... Once, a group of us took turns asking stupid question to Siri, and some answers were funny. Evidently, Siri is programmed to tell jokes. For example: ..... Me: how many people does it take to screw in a light bulb. .... Siri: !,000. 1 to screw it in, and 999 to blog about it not the internet.

Joe .... I hope all goes well with your MIL's situation.

Willie .... I like the buildings you posted especially the pizza place.

Tom .... I like your dogs.

Everybody else .... Good seeing you here.

Everyone ... Have a good day.

I have been in the train room and between switching the pulp yard, rerusting the inside of a gondola, listening to The Bee Gees on the IPad and taking pictures this is what I have decided. I have after purchasing 8 more pulpwood cars decided I have way too many at 23. Switching operations indicate a train of 12 is about right. This doesn’t crowd the pulp yard track or the paper mill yard that I don’t think I have ever taken a picture of. So 11 cars are in storage and I either buy one more for 2 trains of 12 or sell some off. I will decide after Xmas. These 12 will be moving to the weathering bench.
296FE8FA-EEA4-4D90-AC2D-BA1B5177BD7A.jpeg

04961C52-2400-484B-812F-04799D8BD9F3.jpeg

D27CB9F5-2243-404E-964B-1EDC42D501AC.jpeg
9914E4DB-E9B8-4895-8B42-3C15D1CF6D15.jpeg
I was having a great time until the daughter said, “dad, do you want me to repaint the fascia for you?“ Seems I have some spotting on the fascia that per the wife and daughter needs to be cleaned up. Told her go for it! We shall see.

Interesting video posted on another train forum. Comedy train sketch from the 70s from Norway. You don't really need to speak Norwegian to get most of what is happening as most is situational, and not language based.

the name "Toget" means "The Train". (Norwegian appends the definite article to the end of the word, while indefinite precedes: Tog = train, et Tog = a train, Toget = the train)

Time to laugh or cry if this has happened to you
View attachment 133563
Mmm hmmm yep been there my little peugot rattled so I took it to the garage, my son had put the back sit down and not put it up back properly,luckily the garage saw the funny side and did not charge me, and were please with the cream buns I dropped off as an apology, much cheaper than half an hour of their time! Minimum fee.

Also never go to the garage scruffy, lipstick and a smile go a long way, no if Willie tries this can we pls see the picture :D

Good Afternoon all! I am spent. Tuckered out. I install a new LED light for the backyard, labeled the breaker box, added solar lights to the shed out back. I started a 11:30 AM and finished at 4:00. I hadn't planned to take that long, but it seemed every tool I needed was back in the garage somewhere. I pretty sure I made 50 extra trips getting stuff that I hadn't planned on needing.

No train time today.
1633643635041.png

STAY SAFE

LATER

I generally use Kadee metal wheels in my Accurail freight cars without any issues in over 120 of them.
Willie: Likewise with the IM wheels, this is a first time issue. I started another Accurail box car kit, so I will find out real soon. I have some Kadee wheels, might as well try them on the problem car.
Hoping for an early resolution concerning the MIL. :rolleyes:

I spent a good part of the day helping the wife locate files related to her mom, but did get to spend some time out doors enjoying the fantastic early Autumn day. 75° and mostly sunny. Not much time for the railroad. :(

I just finished watching the pre-season game between Ottawa, and the Habs. Sens won in Shootout, 5-4. Devil's - Islanders game at the Rock cancelled due to a power failure involving half of the arena. So much for the PSE&G Power Play... Season starts next Wednesday.

Soo Line Boxcar - 10-06-2021.jpg

This one has Intermountain wheels, no problems. Weathering doesn't show well in photo, but it's quite average.
PRR_5918 BAldwin + H9 New Jersey.jpg

PRR Baldwin VO 1000 rescues H9 powered local freight at Fort Dix...Date and Photographer unknown. The buildings in the background are the Post's Central Supply Warehouses. The Reception Station is out of the photo to the left...(At least it was back in 1969).

Good morning Everybody!

Garry, I sympathize with you. Much of modern manufacturing is a result of supplying the masses with what they want; lower prices. People like you and I who are willing to pay a premium for quality feel fortunate when we find quality products. Often we are disappointed.

That reminds me, anybody remember Curtis Mathes TVs? "The most expensive TV in America and darn well worth it" something like that.

Cheese and crackers, I'm out of time! Yes, my sleep schedule is still a mess. As they say "make hey when the sun shines" or in my case, when I'm awake.

Have a great day Everybody!

Morning all,

55° and clear this morning, although there was some fog on the way to the office. Supposed to get to the mid-70's today.

Nothing new on the train front as we had grandkids and now my dog is back for the next 2 weeks. Dog sitting while the youngest daughter, (we had triplets so she's the youngest by 30 seconds), and family are on their annual elk hunt.

TTFN
Elk is some good eating. Very lean, so you usually need to add fat when cooking within it, especially if you’re using to make burgers of chili. I like it when I make Dad’s wild rice soup, which started as a “mistake” we were on an overnight whitewater canoe trip on the Middle Delaware River. He had planned on n MBH asking s beef barley soup for Sat night supper. He searched the food/cookware sack for the barley, but there was none to be found. He had a box of Uncle Ben‘s wild/long grain rice, which came with a seasoning pack. He threw that in instead of the barley & a family tradition recipe was created. When I make it, I let most of the liquid evaporate off, so that it’s more of a rice “dish to pass”, rather than a soup with a broth.

Morning all,

Supposed to get to 90° today and an expected high tomorrow of 96° which should break the temperature record for the date. But then a first frost expected by this time next week...

A lot of the area is under a boil water advisory due to getting their water from Wichita. We are here at work, but fortunately my town has it's own treatment plant and remains unaffected. Fortunately it is a half day today, so back home by 11:00a.

Mike: I usually get a few pounds of elk "slim jims" or summer sausage from the kids after they've had it processed.

Chad: Loved the video of the train. Thank you.

Everyone else: Have a good day.

BBL

Good morning all! 60 degrees here with heavy fog. Day 2 of my 4 day weekend. Going to have lunch with my parents later and then pick up my youngest granddaughter from school. My wife and daughter are going shopping today, so I get to pick my granddaughter and hang out with her. Gonna try to get a few things done too if there's time.
Hope you all have a great day!
Ken

Good Morning All. Clear and 65° here in North Central Texas this morning. It was only 91° yesterday, expecting 95° today and tomorrow. Maybe rain on Tuesday. That rain chance has been removed from the Sunday and Monday forecast. I haven't had anything real measurable since 8-15. There is supposedly a cool front headed this way next weekend, but unlike Patrick, our temperature will only drop to the upper 40's. What a difference 300 miles can make.
I made the weekly grocery/beer trek yesterday without incident. Got gas for the car, it actually came down from the last time to $2.75/gal. Still outrageous. I went by the hospital to pick up the ice-water circulator that we failed to bring home Tuesday, already have an old one, but it's free so why not. Besides one of the two that we had previously received had failed so a backup is necessary.
No real change in my wife's condition except slightly less pain. We had the two therapists visit yesterday, Nathan the occupational therapist will be coming back once a week, he showed her some upper body exercises to do. He also evaluated the house for handicap compliance and we passed without any changes. Heather, the physical therapist won't return until mid-November since there is nothing she can help with right now. The home health nurse Staci, will return today to get a blood draw to establish some kind of base line. We removed the leg brace Wednesday night as it was too cumbersome and problematic. The doctor told her to do that after 4-5 days anyway. Leg braces are only for people who don't follow instructions regarding care. She's getting around better but it is only because she has adapted better. There will be no physical improvement until after the new artificial knee is installed. She misses her wine!

I'm ready for a hearty breakfast this morning Flo. Chicken fried steak, southern cream gravy, grits and poached eggs. Make it a double OJ to wash it down with.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the archival photos; Mikey, Troy, Ken, Tom O, Garry, Gary, Hughie, Patrick, Rick, James, Louis.

Well, I made it out to the train shed yesterday, first time since Monday. I primed the walls of Ramone's Salvage with white primer from Krylon. Results looked good. Then I test-fitted the windows and doors in place.
IMG_7880.JPG

Windows fit well in all locations on the three walls that have them. I did file a bit of flash out of each opening, but that's normal with Hydrocal castings.
Doors were a different thing.
IMG_7877.JPG

Just a tad too large, so out came the file again.
IMG_7878.JPG

I got the first two for this wall only. Marked them on back so I will which ones go where after I paint them.
IMG_7879.JPG

There are seven doors overall. I still have to file the window openings on the other two walls and file down the bottom of the remaining five doors. Easy enough for both. Then comes masking and painting the upper part of the walls a brick color that I haven't decided on yet. I also intend to give them another primer coat before I proceed.
Most of my time out there yesterday was spent running trains about. Engineers were getting lazy and in my opinion, the best way to keep track clean is almost daily running.

Ken - Even after over 35 years, I am still lousy at soldering. When I am transitioning down, I use cardboard strips like from cereal boxes, stair-stepped with a solid one on top. I have used a styrene strip on top before, but I haven't noted any warpage when applying ballast over cardboard. I have an airbrush, but rarely use it as the cleanup time is not worth it unless I am painting great volumes, so I can't really comment. Tutorials are all over YouTube.
Chad - A couple of well thought responses yesterday. Thanks for your comments.
Garry - Regarding Alexa, my wife used to play games with it, Jeopardy or something. She inevitably would get into arguments with it...a damn machine!!!! Alexa would argue back! Apparently that got old because she stopped. When I told my grandson that Alexa was listening every time that he called his brother a nasty name or either one farted, he took it out of their room.
Tom O -
I have way too many at 23. Switching operations indicate a train of 12 is about right. This doesn’t crowd the pulp yard track or the paper mill yard that I don’t think I have ever taken a picture of. So 11 cars are in storage and I either buy one more for 2 trains of 12 or sell some off.
If a train of 12 is right, that's 12 full ones in and 12 empty ones out, thus 24.

Everybody have a great day. I intend to. Stay safe everyone.

Howdy there Internet train folks!
WE HAVE LOTSA RAIN GOING ON AS WE SPEAK! Not counting today, we are running 3.5 times our annual average for this time of the yearly "rain season".

I have been busy with life and other things for the past week and I see no end in sight for awhile.
I have not posted much due to simply being in the doldrums of having anything of really newsworthy to share.
I have finally taked out the MAC computer that I purchased from Terry several months back and been trying to learn some of my way around doing things on it. Sort of like teaching an old dog new tricks. Need a lot of treats to get anywhere!
BIL and SIL returned from the Denton, TX area on Monday where they had spent a week with his Father for a 100 year BD get-together. Well, yesterday afternoon late, Jan, BIL's wife, called the Spousal Unit and informed her that BOTH the parents had tested positive for Covid. Jan was asking Kate what she should do about getting tested? Kate has has numerous tests because of her hair business for over the past 18 months. Now, I am questioned the validity of this because both of the parents had been vaxed, and to me, it seems unlikely that both would come down with the virus? Matbe so, I don;t know!

I have been vaxed, but have had the past several days of not feeling right - maybe I should get tested since my wife has been with family at her Mom's house.

Stay tuened for the latest developments with all this. I am so fed up with the Crooks and crap going on in D. C. and this State too! Willie - enjoy your $2.75 gas -- It's like $4.30 out here!

I'm still 3 pages behind on reading here - Coffee time again, CHEERS!

Good morning modelers. The possible spotty if we get it rain chances yesterday officially per the weather folks we got 3.2”. My rain gauges for the 24 hours yesterday was 3.6”. No matter a far cry from the doubt we would get more then 1/2” if we got anything. Today, there is possible rain but heavy if it gets to you. High will be low 70’s.

gas price, was $3.14 yesterday

Willie, I agree on the pulp cars but at this time I don’t have staging. The decision will come after Xmas. I will be gone from 10/23 till maybe 12/15. Glad the patient is feeling better and she doesn’t need the wine, tell her she has drugs now for that relaxing feel.

Sherrel, false positives are huge right now. They don’t know why but they are investigating the “at home” kits and the way the professionals are taking the swabs in Wisconsin. Your area maybe different.

Louis, I remember the Curtiss Mathes ads. I do remember asking dad why they were better, he said something like they only cost more but TV’s are like cars pretty much the same

Mikein HubCity, is there a train show in Marshfield or open house this weekend? I love Terry’s wild rice soup and often will drain out the liquids and eat whats left

Boris, I couldn’t stream any of the NHL last night. Checked with the son in Texas and he wasn’t having any issues. I can’t wait for the official puck drops next week. Ended up, rare for me, watching the last 10 minutes of the Seattle/Rams game. Exciting for the backup Seattle QB, then he woke up and threw a pick where his receiver just fell down, no penalty flag

I am not sure if I want to do anything today. I having been feeling blah the last couple days and slept for 2 hours yesterday afternoon. I got my booster on Tuesday but I am not blaming that. It felt like I was a beginner in the pool last night but got my laps in

found 2 more pieces to add to the weathering project, the 2 log loaders
enjoy the day
TomO
36918665-5E9B-4833-9EF6-71A8689F0B11.jpeg
C8B9103B-0328-4400-90D4-84E87A820432.jpeg

Good morning ....

Tom O ... Your pulpwood scene looks great.

Willie .... That building kit looks fun.

Joe .... The box car looks nice. Interesting photo of the VO1000.

Willie, Sherrell ...... I'm hearing energy prices will continue rising at least until end of the year. Oil is forecasted to be $100/ barrel by end of year. Inflation for all items is costing the typical family about $175 per month compared with December 2020 prices. ... Not to worry; the Secretary of Energy is "concerned" about energy prices. Yeah, right. Just like the Secretary of Transportation is doing anything to solve the back up of ships at the ports. So much incompetence in DC ! ... Enough of that.

One of my favorite old photos I took of my layout has my 2-10-2 pulling a freight train in the town of Blackhawk. Meanwhile, an Alco S2 awaits the arrival of a crew to begin industrial switching.

34987247794_2af996983f_b.jpg

Last edited:
The lady of the house—you may feel blah but you still have to vacuum today. That’s done.

We have oil, why do we import any? I don’t mind $3.14 a gallon if it was only USA or Canadian oil. Put a tax on non-North American oil and you would see our oil fields really flourish again. But hell I believe in a flat tax, no deductions for anyone earning as a family $50,000 a year, term limits and happiness for all. I believe in Santa, not the Easter bunny though and Superman. Yes, I can dream.

A funny for the day
79E334E0-34F9-4E53-98B8-0DAB958170D2.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back