Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notice, no double yellow lines, no crosswalks, and dashed traffic lanes, definately set the era. I've seen so many "transition era" layouts that miss this detail!

Karl, I would have never noticed, thank you!

That's one of many reasons I like to come to this forum. I learn stuff I will probably never use, but I do find it all to be interesting.

I know I will never be a great model railroader, but that's not my goal. My goal is to have fun with my toy trains.

Watching and learning from you "Hall of Famers" makes my hobby even more fun!

That is the secret to success in anything. Surround yourself with people smarter than yourself. You don't have to have all the answers, you just need to know who to ask.

Louis- that’s why(when I lived in South Jersey) anytime I was taking a trip down south, I wanted to be on the road by 3 am, so that I could be across the Potomac by 6:00.

Mike, the rush hour traffic in Northern Virginia is now even worse than Maryland. But most of it is north bound at 6am. Virginia has done very little to improve and expand their roads. The DC beltway (495) is still a mess at rush hour in Virginia and Maryland.

Sherrel, I think you and much of California are stuck in the middle.
Clowns to the left
1572084820766.png
and jokers to the right
1572084854108.png

Good morning Everybody!

It's 57 with 87% humidity under cloudy skies in southeast Baltimore.

I had a great day yesterday! Amazon sent me to Annapolis at 1:45pm with a 4 hour route. I usually work a little later, but I was hoping to avoid some of the traffic. I was happy to see I was going to Annapolis, the traffic coming back home is not nearly as bad as other areas can be at rush hour.

I was in the "rocking chair" the entire time I was on the highway. No traffic at all to speak of on the way south and next to nothing coming back north. I used the old Maryland 2 & 10 rather than the newer Interstate 97. Works great for me because I can use the Key Bridge to come home.

Add to that the easy route I had and I was done in 2 hours!

And now I'm going to have left over hotdogs cooked in sauerkraut for breakfast, life is good!

Have a great day Everybody!

You don't have to have all the answers, you just need to know who to ask.
I guess the corollary to that, is that the ones who know, will volunteer the answer. I had a relative (not by blood) that would do nothing for nobody without having the palm well greased first. I remember asking him when I was very new to computers, how to create a desktop folder. His reply was very off-putting. "Why would you wan't to do that?" It wasn't said in the vein of "What do you want to put in it?"

Hey! there's one I can relate to, a '37 Forwerd. My Business man's Coupe had that front. It also left me a mark for the rest of my life. A scar across my scalp from a roof lining bow, when I turned it on it's "lid".

Ouch! It should have had a warning label "Do not roll over" or at least a warning in the manual, you should have gotten a lawyer! ;)

One of the best transports I ever had in that time was a 1941 Willys flatbed, that had been a panel van, but either through accident of or rust (it was 20 years old, they made parts for their vehicles for 21 years, I was told) the van section had been cut off, a plywood back put on the cab and a horse hair stuffed full width seat fitted. You sat bolt upright.. It had a wooden framed, wooden decked tray and steel framed canvas canopy in it's place. It had 3 speeds and column shift. First model with that I believe. It's best features were the 2.2ltr 4 and although rigid axles and leaf springs at each corner, telescopic dampers. They were firm but the skinny wheels/tires followed the road's surfaces like glue, so you felt in real control anywhere. The little G/box was amazing, especially as it was built for NZed's RHD. The shifter rod went down the column to levers near the bottom of the box. They connected to pivoting rods that crossed under it to levers on their other ends. Short rod links then connected up to the shifting levers on that side of the box. With all the slop there was in that arrangement, I couldn't beat the synchros between 2nd and 3rd (top), up or down. Maybe it helped. It handled, I reckon, better than any British built sports car of the time. Went round corners on rails, never ever felt like it was going to "let go". Not that it was very fast, but it was fun.
Tragically, it too came to a "sticky end" with me in it. I had gone out to seek another job, It had been raining on the tar seal road. I stopped at an intersection behind an Ice Cream truck. Next thing there was a big bang in my back, my head hit the plywood back, but not badly enough for injury. A commuter bus had slid on the wet painted center line and squashed the Willys between them. The driver had leapt out and yanked my door open (No such thing as safety latches on it) and was inquiring if I was OK. I was apart from that bit of a bump.
The poor old Willys had folded the chassis up into a V under where I sat. It could have been much worse. That was the end of job changing for a while.

One funny (could have been serious) memory I also have of it was having my other mates riding in the back, taking them home. There was this short, roadway overpass over some railway tracks in a trench that the road was formed in an arch over it. Quite short. This night I must have misjudged it a bit speedwise, hit it fast, went over the top, and the tray and canopy lifted off the chassis and came down with a hell of a bang going down the other side. I think they were both stirred and shaken. Seems there were no bolts holding it and them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back