Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was interesting. The train being proposed for Texas is an export version of the N700/N700A, IIRC from what I have read elsewhere. Changes would be made in train control, and the physical design of the cab cars would be somewhat different (probably no or few tunnels to go through and the current N700 series is designed for entering and traversing tunnels effectively). Probably similar to what happened when the earlier 700 series was taken to Taiwan -- nose was shortened and they changed the train control systems.

The N700A series runs from Tokyo south to the bottom of the main island of Honshu (JR Central trains) and thenonto Kyushu (JR West versions). They are very nice and smooth. I've ridden them many times. A good choice for this sort of project.

The video made a statement about no fatalities on the Japanese Shinkansen lines. This is true in so far as moving train accidents. There was one old lady killed once when the doors closed on her at a station.

Karl .... If you have time in Phoenix, I suggest a visit to the AZ RR Museum in Chandler. .....

36418421076_2f00d1728e_b.jpg

I hope they get it and it's used.

We decided post WW2 to basically get rid of the passenger rail service as we preferred to travel by car and plane as they were faster and fuel was\is cheap (postwar economic boom). To this day there are a lot of rail lines that have been abandoned as they no longer make economic sense for the same reasoning.

Good Morning Everyone...Overcast and cool.

Getting a bit over due to get healthy enough to get downstairs and the train room. The PT therapist is going a bit slow with me so I'll do what I did the last time and just go ahead and do walking exercises with and without a walker. Plus, next Thursday I have a two hour urology procedure in the morning and then laser eye surgery in the afternoon and some how fit in a flu shot. Enough complaining.

Should spend some time practicing with my Canon SX610HS camera. I have trouble getting good close up photos of the layout. I admire guys like Garry, Chet , Santa Willie and others and their photos that they post. Our cell phones do not produce decent shots either. I have the MR&T box car to practice on by setting the car on a table top.

Did start working on our 2019 taxes. Due to bad advice we had to paid a large medical expense payment with 2018 taxes and theses payments are deductible so I'll do the Long Form and itemize deductions again this year.

Maybe I'll talk the Mrs. into driving me to do some rail fanning next week.

Been looking for a track plan for the freight yard expansion and can only find a few. The space is 2.5 feet by 8 or 10 feet. Sort of a shelf layout. I need car storage and I like to do switching.

That's all for now.....

Greg

############################

IMG_0294.JPG
An Atlas tower that's been semi-kit bashed with different supports under the buildings (lost the originals and used wire to form the supports), glazing in the windows, LED interior lighting and paint. It's guarding the reverse section of the main line. -Greg

Willie -- I saw this video yesterday. Does it have a chance of going through? I like that they would be using the Japanese Bullet trains.

While there is some opposition from some landowners, it will most likely be operational within the next ten years. Much of the right of way is an existing utility corridor that goes through mainly rural land. While a local judge ruled out eminent domain, that will most likely be overturned by the appeals court. The local decision is based on the fact that Texas Central is not a railroad with existing track, state law only gives eminent domain rights to railroads (among other things). They hope to overcome this argument by showing that they are tying into Amtrak. A different judge in Houston has ruled in their favor on this. They have already purchased about 30% of the right of way that they need.
The Texas legislature has already shown that they are friendly to the project by removing some hurdles that the opposition has thrown in the way. While it is more than twice the length of the California bullet train, it is expected to cost less. Part of this is because of the terrain that it will transverse is almost all flat land. The federal agencies have also been friendly and have removed much of the bureaucratic BS that has been an issue for this and other similar projects.
The main reason that it is going to succeed is the fact that they are a private company, not a government agency.

"Fun fact: ;) My wife tells me in communist Hungary there were no TV commercials."

Was the station owner/operator the government?

Sherrell, that is an astute question. Some may think the answer would be obvious, but as you seem to know Hungary's "Goulash" version of communism as it became known was more diverse than most of the eastern block.

All TV stations were owned by the government. As were most other media outlets, but there were a few privately held media outlets as well, but all were under the watchful eye of the communist party.

Since the fall of communism there was more privately owned media outlets. Recently Victor Orban, Hungary's extreme nationalist Prime Minister has been buying up as many of them as he can in an effort to silence opposition and his critics or as he puts it "fake news".

Last edited:
Chet: I just watched the your most recent posting of a cab ride on the Logan Valley that was posted on your signature block. New cab ride -

I'll seen the video before, but this is the first time I really noticed many of the details I missed before and I especially like the change in layout elevation at the layout's edge near the second double crossover and trestle. I wish my layout that that elevation feature beyond the fascia, since I believe elevation changes add interest to a layout and offer the opportunity for additional scenery, trackage and industrial structures. Doing a change like yours at the layout's edge is a great modeling feature.

During the ride, I recognized areas of the layout that were posted in other still photos that you showed in the Forum.

Watching this cab ride I then remembered that I have a new mini-cube camera with sound that I purchased last year and never used. Now I wonder where I stored the camera???

Thanks for sharing.

Greg

After complaining about my inability to do the stairs down to the layout room in an earlier post....my PT therapist told me a few minutes ago that next week is her last visits since I passed all the tests that Medicare requires. She agreed that I can go down the stairs next during her visit!!!! Coming up she said is the real challenge.

Well maybe I'll be struck in the basement for a few weeks if I can't make it back up the steps, I'll be able to work on kits, the layout and weathering. I purchased maybe 40-50 kits before retiring seven years ago and I haven't finished one.

Things are looking up.

Greg

##################################

IMG_0438.JPG
A swap meet purchase for 50 cents and $30.00 to frame.-Greg

Afternoon All,

Was up at 4:30 this morning, don't know why. Did a bunch of chores today while the wife volunteered at the grade school. Saturday is the 31st annual skunk show in Kissimme (about 30 minutes from here).

Beady- Great Ads.

Ken- I hope your wife's issues resolves quickly.

Louis- Nice RS pictures.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Pipe loads have been glued together, I just have to decide which loads go on flatcars first.
There are different sizes and surfaces.
longest stack is about 40 HO feet.

Attachments

• pipeload 1 - Copy.JPG
    pipeload 1 - Copy.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 135
  • pipeload 2 - Copy.JPG
    pipeload 2 - Copy.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 143
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back