Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swal. I have windows above my drop ceiling. I will snap some pics for you tonight.
Karl I bought some perimeter hardware at Home Depot a few hours ago to start the project. I looked at the drawing Troy posted and then I found this on the internet. How to slope up the ceiling around the window area which I may end up doing.
Swal

drop_ceiling_slopes.JPG

32° and cloudy as I write this, clearing after the warm front passes. Going to 27° tonight, and 42° tomorrow.

Right now, I'm watching the "Scotiabank Wednesday Night Hockey" on Rogers SN, via ESPN+ (the streaming channel). No scoring 1st period, 2 - 1 Columbus so far in the second. Habs are trying to tie it again. on a Caufield Goal.

St. Joe's 64 -51 over Nova with 6"+ left in the second half. Nova's only loss so far against U of P...also a Big Five game. Final St. Joe 78 - Nova 65....Novas second loss both to "Big Five" schools.

Tonight was the Tree Lighting at Rockefeller Center, NYC. NBC producers will drag out the actual lighting until its almost 11. Palestinian Supporters were supposed to try and disrupt the tree lighting. Hopefully, nothing stupid happens.

My lawn guy came by today to remove the leaves from my property, and place them on the street at the curb. Public Works will start their second round of leaf pickup on Monday... I have a disproportional amount of leaves vs. trees on my lot. Well spent $250.00 We do winter fertilizer application tomorrow, then we are done until spring.

Nothing to report from the train room...legs are complaining today....

Karl I bought some perimeter hardware at Home Depot a few hours ago to start the project. I looked at the drawing Troy posted and then I found this on the internet. How to slope up the ceiling around the window area which I may end up doing.
Swal

View attachment 177486
That is one way of doing it. In fact my 1st house we did that way. This house the walls were already up, so after painting the paneling I simply boxed it all in and suspended another piece of ceiling material on so 1/4 round molding at the top of the window. The rod in the pic is the spring loaded curtain rod.
unnamed.jpg

Your mileage may vary.

The Aflac commercials were hilarious!

I still laugh over the "It gives you cash which is just as good as money."

Yeah, Mike. That was a great commercial. Not bad for a kid from an immigrant family, growing up in St. Louis. His classmate and neighbor, Joe Garagiola, also a good Major League catcher, and a successful broadcaster. Not quite as great as Yogi though.

Henry Kissenger. Wow! That man reshaped our Foreign Policy direction during his tenure. Just living 100 years was quite an accomplishment in itself. Funny story: We had a Locomotive Engineer, a resident of Mid town Manhattan, named Harry Brannigan. Brannigan, had an uncanny resemblance to Dr. Kissinger. The resemblance was so close that one of the Tabloids did an article, and actually arranged for the two to appear in a side by side photo for the front page.

Brannigan had copies of the article reproduced, and would distribute them to passengers loading on his train from NY to Washington. Harry loved his semi-celebrity status until the day that the media reported some foreign power had agents assigned to assassinate Kissinger. Brannigan, actually was taken into protective custody until the threat was lifted.

Personal note: The first time I saw Brannigan on the GG1 pulling in to Philadelphia, I thought it was Kissinger. He really did look like him, even the hair. Harry B passed on several years ago, so may they both Rest in Peace.

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin where the temperature is a pleasant 32f degrees even though with the wind chill it feels like 23. Nice walking weather as the sunrise is at 7:08 or 18 minutes from when I type this. The high will be mid 40’s with the winds going calm.

It’s a volleyball day for us. 1st round NCAA Tournament games start at 5 and the Badgers play around 8 depending on the finish of game 1. The Badgers won it all in 2021 and hopefully will get to Tampa for the Final 4 in 3 weeks where anything can happen.

After the walk I will spend time in the train room before we head out for the games at 4.

Terry gets notices from UPS and USPS when we are getting expected deliveries. But this past 5 days nothing has arrived the day the email notice says they are out for delivery. We are getting them eventually. I do know our regular mail carrier has been missing the last 2 weeks and mail normally received around noon has been received between. 4 and 5. But, he has nothing to do with UPS…

enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 54°, with spotty light showers popping up all around. The most significant rain is forming east of here. The forecast is still for heavy rain around noonish. After tomorrow, temperatures in the lower-70's for at least a week.

Back to the normal weekly grocery trek on Thursday this week. Hopefully they'll be back to their normal 85% stock levels and the normal smallish Thursday morning crowds. What I do later today depends on the weather.

I did some more painting on the tenement apartment building yesterday out in the train shed. I selected Art Deco's "Burlap" paint for the tiled walls.
IMG_1003.JPG

I painted the entry door Sky Blue.
IMG_1004.JPG

I don't know if I am masochist enough to do all of the window frames in the same color, but I think it would add character to the building if I did.
IMG_1005.JPG

Troy - Glad that you enjoyed the string quartet. I don't think that violin players and fiddle players disparage one another. Both can be masters of their playing. I was at a wedding reception once with a string quartet who started the evening playing some very upbeat classical music, then after an hour and taking a break, they came back and started off with a very spirited version of Orange Blossom Special, and played stuff in that vein for the next hour. By then, the liquor had hit the guests and many were kicking up their heels.
Hughie - There is nothing finer than some classic Doo-Wop music in my opinion. The Del-Vikings, The Cadillacs, The Crew-Cuts and ultimately early Frank Zappa really rocked. Yes, Frank Zappa started with Doo-Wop.
Mike - Sad to read about Henry Kissinger. He was still quite articulate right up to death. I didn't always agree with his "hawkish" views when I was younger, but he was generally always correct.

Everyone have a great day today.

FOR My Friend, LOUIS! (since I loved to catch)
View attachment 177478

In the conversation of the GOAT catcher, Lorenzo Pietro Berra does not get the full respect he deserves. All too often, batting statistics alone are provided to identify and rank the greater player by position. But consider this … when he finally retired in 1989 there had been 85 World Series played up to that point in time. Yogi Berra played, coached, or managed in 21 of them (amost 25% of them) winning 10 of them as a player and 3 of them as a coach. He also called and caught the only perfect game that will ever be pitched in the World Series. What say ye?
When Yogi said "it aint over till it's over" he knew what he was talking about and so did opposing pitchers!

Yogi was one of the greatest clutch hitters in the history of baseball!

He hit the first pinch-hit home run in World Series history in 1947.
He had a .714 batting average (5 for 7) with the bases loaded in the World Series.
He had a .529 batting average (9 for 17) with runners in scoring position in the World Series.
He had a .417 batting average (5 for 12) in the bottom of the ninth inning or later in the World Series.

If Anthony Rendon, L.A. Angels, makes $38,571,429/year, what would Yogi make if he played today?

DAVID - That is just beautiful to look at - the train, the scenery, and the people!

Morning here is 51 degrees going up to 60 with possible showers (got 0.02" overnight).
Supposed to be cloudy all day - I wish I had put the outside lights up this past weekend!

Yesterday it was windy and cold - Had to go to the store for some 'fixins' and folks were bundled up as if they were on a ski slope, and so was I. Cold enough that there were no dog walkers out at all;
Little Rosie sat in the window and had nothing to bark at!

MEMORIES - G-Son is now 16!
1701358477286.jpeg

Last edited:
Good morning.
It looks like I’m going to get my state’s insurance commissioner involved in my doctor’s office’s billing practice.
They refused my insurance company’s payment, and are billing me for the services at a higher rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back