Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
photo roster 029.jpg

Thought I better post a train pic before quitting for the night! C&O 2-8-4 Kanawha United Brass imports 1961.
Remotored with NWSL gear box, torque arm, DCC & sound, All work was done buy my late friend Charlie who sold it to me in 2015 for what his wife bought it for in 1961.. The receipt was taped to the inside of the box. Why that price? He was more concerned with it having a good home then recouping its true value. Beside, his kids didn't care about his trains,

Sherril, I'm sorry but I have given up on Rangers, actually on all Dearborn's products. I had an 88 Ranger XLT , Oil leaking rust bucket with a crowded cab. I Had more room in my 83 S10! Then a 2003 S10 that I have handed down to son#4 still running strong with no signs of quitting. The paint may be fading but then body is "like a rock". My 2016 Colorado at 85k is going to be around for a while yet. Still looks and feels new.

I was raised on Fords, then at 18 I came home with a new Pontiac much to the chagrin of my parents and my next door neighbor Uncle who was a Ford technician. Never owned another one til Dad gave me his Ranger, but it didn't last long. Everything since has been GM.

Funny, son #3 his 1st car was a Jeep, then he has been Ford ever since (Totalling 3 of the last 4) He swears by em, I swear at them!
For car brands/models, I think it is more what somebody has the best results from in their daily use, rather than anything more scientific. I've had better luck with Fords, my brother had better results from GM. My grandfather had better experiences with Fords, my father with GM. Nobody like Chrysler.
As for imports, my parents had excellent results from Volkswagen, with a 1968 bus that went 100,000 miles with nothing but routine maintenance. Based on that result, they got a new Dasher (Passat), and I got Auto Union's version of the same car. Both of those cars offered experiences we never forgot, and not in a good way...

Good morning on this Remembrance Sunday.
Remembering My Great Grandfather at rest in a 'foreign field' in Belgium
Remembering my uncle James (in the 'Forgotten 14th Army) who whilst in Burma fought for two years behind Japanese lines.
Remembering my father in 9th Queen's Royal Lancers fought in North Africa, Italy and Germany
Remembering the fallen.
Remembering those who came home.
Remembering those at home who wondered would they see their husband or sons and daughter's again

Bless You all

Morning all,

37° and clear near Doo-Dah this morning. Despite myself "pigging out" yesterday, I'm down 3 pounds on the week. Really need to be down a lot more, but I'll get there.

We've gotta go west to see a High School play the middle granddaughter is in. High school is doing "The Wizard of Oz" and my 5th grade granddaughter is one of the munchkins. I think he mother told me she has a line as well as the dance routine they do.

Gas prices in the area are crazy. $3.34 in my town, $3.14 on the east side of Wichita, town to my north east is $2.59 as of this morning, West side of Wichita, $2.79. I filled the truck at $2.61 on Friday as I passed through the town to my north east.

Day 12 without candy: Can't see out of my left ear...

Good Morning All. Clear and 45°in North Central Texas. Another day like yesterday and the next 3 or 4 to come, high in the upper 60's-low 70's.

It was a good day for outdoor activity yesterday after the sun came out around noonish. I attacked that huge pile of trees that were gifted to me, but only with the branch nippers; no chainsaw yet. I have to clear out a path to the trunks and reduce the danger of severe scratching. I should get a chance to mow some of the southwest portion of the yard today, that area over the septic system. Here, I usually have to mow from mid-February until early December with 4-6 weeks off in July-August. The "off period" this year was 12-13 weeks due to the drought.

Out in the train shed yesterday, it was extremely boring as I only continued the cleanup and organizing of some stuff under the layout. Most got put back, although I did consolidate 4 boxes into 3. I'll be ahead if I can continue at that fill rate. I didn't find anything that I didn't already know was there. I am a self-described pack-rat/hoarder, so this task is ongoing. I did clean up and assemble the motorcycle that I discovered in the details package that I found Friday. No pictures yet. I also returned to the scene where I broke the fence around the oil distributor that I was working on last month. Mainly to recap where I was and get a restart going today. The fence itself is 1/3 complete.
In lieu of current pictures, here's a few random mini-scenes with dogs in them. I may have posted some of these before, but I have posted so many that I can no longer remember which ones.
IMG_3147.JPG

IMG_3151.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

IMG_3156.JPG

IMG_3161.JPG

IMG_3164.JPG

IMG_3169.JPG
IMG_3171.JPG
IMG_3174.JPG

Mike - I used to go to my daughter's basketball games, but she asked me to quit coming; because I would lean back in the bleachers and fall asleep at halftime. At the time I had to get up at 4:00 am to get ready for work. Daytime games on the weekend were OK though.
Sherrel - Our Christmas tree goes up on December 15, occasionally a day or two earlier. But it stays up through Epiphany on January 6. I'm only responsible for the tree and lights and then I am not allowed anything else. I have reduced the decoration boxes down to five, and more than half never gets used.

I appreciated looking at everybody's military resumes yesterday, thanks again for serving. Mine is not nearly as impressive. 1970 - Registered for the draft. 1971 - Drew #264 in the lottery. 1972 - Dropped my student deferment. Later I found out that I would not have passed the physical anyway due to active asthma at the time.

Neil Young is 78 today. I always liked him and his guitar playing, but his politics turned me off quite a bit in the late 90's.
Everybody have a great day.

View attachment 176764
Thought I better post a train pic before quitting for the night! C&O 2-8-4 Kanawha United Brass imports 1961.
Remotored with NWSL gear box, torque arm, DCC & sound, All work was done buy my late friend Charlie who sold it to me in 2015 for what his wife bought it for in 1961.. The receipt was taped to the inside of the box. Why that price? He was more concerned with it having a good home then recouping its true value. Beside, his kids didn't care about his trains,
I painted one of those for a friend once. It was an old Olympia model. Came in a green box. It's interesting what modelers do with their stuff when they sense the time is near. I sold off a large collection for an old friend. Several thousand dollars of older PFM brass models, passenger cars, parts, etc. At one point he told me to keep the rest. This was a large amount of stiff. Five PFM Santa Fe 2-8-0's, four PFM 2-10-4's, a couple of Sunset 2-8-2's and a 4-8-2, plus about two dozen passenger cars, older Soho and Lambert stuff. He told me to find good homes for them.

Good morning from Wisconsin where we seem to be moving the temperatures upward. It’s 40 now heading to mid 50’s.

Gas around here is mainly $3.14 per gallon. My car brand of choice the last 20 years for me has been VW and they have been basically trouble free! I have had other cars and a few at much higher prices than the Golf’s, Jettas and the Passat I have owned. I just basically want a car to get me from A to B without issue. One of the best cars I had was the Ford Taurus that I always got from the local Ford car rental. It was my road warrior car of choice. Every 18 months I’d get one with 9,000 to 18,000 miles on it and give the one I was driving to the daughter who would then give the car she had to her brother. I did that from when she was 16 to her late 20’s.

Next up for the day is doing something in the train room

Spent last night painting the last sleeper of the five cars I'm working on. Three-color schemes aren't difficult, just lots of iterations. Paint, bake, mask, paint, bake, mask, paint, bake again. One diner is getting an interior and replacement trucks. The brass ones are lead sleds and short all over the place. Kinda chaps my a$$ after paying over $500 for the model. For those of you who think it's insane to pay that for one passenger car, well, maybe it is. My wife thinks so anyway. On the other hand, I wanted a prototypically correct SP heavyweight diner, and that's the only way to get one. Now that I have it, it'll be out next month in plastic! The joys of brass. I put together the floors, which consisted of mounting the trucks and the hard part which was finding all the hardware after two years of "I'll get around to it". To do: Decals, clear coat, and windows. Oh yes, and diaphragms.

View attachment 176764
It definitely looks like it found a good home👍

Thats a fantastic looking piece of machinery!

Good morning from Wisconsin where we seem to be moving the temperatures upward. It’s 40 now heading to mid 50’s.

Gas around here is mainly $3.14 per gallon. My car brand of choice the last 20 years for me has been VW and they have been basically trouble free! I have had other cars and a few at much higher prices than the Golf’s, Jettas and the Passat I have owned. I just basically want a car to get me from A to B without issue. One of the best cars I had was the Ford Taurus that I always got from the local Ford car rental. It was my road warrior car of choice. Every 18 months I’d get one with 9,000 to 18,000 miles on it and give the one I was driving to the daughter who would then give the car she had to her brother. I did that from when she was 16 to her late 20’s.

Next up for the day is doing something in the train room
I did that with Chevy Luminas. a very stout reliable runner with a good engine and easy to work on. It was too good. That's why they don't make them anymore!

Spent last night painting the last sleeper of the five cars I'm working on. Three-color schemes aren't difficult, just lots of iterations. Paint, bake, mask, paint, bake, mask, paint, bake again. One diner is getting an interior and replacement trucks. The brass ones are lead sleds and short all over the place. Kinda chaps my a$$ after paying over $500 for the model. For those of you who think it's insane to pay that for one passenger car, well, maybe it is. My wife thinks so anyway. On the other hand, I wanted a prototypically correct SP heavyweight diner, and that's the only way to get one. Now that I have it, it'll be out next month in plastic! The joys of brass. I put together the floors, which consisted of mounting the trucks and the hard part which was finding all the hardware after two years of "I'll get around to it". To do: Decals, clear coat, and windows. Oh yes, and diaphragms.
I've had few brass locomotives over time. It seems it's a hit or miss. First one was an Alco E44 electric since that was the craze for me at the time. It took i think three McDonalds pay checks with my part time high school work to own it. Bitter disappointment as this thing barely ran. Then after more research and with my knowledge about PRR electric locomotives increased, i came to a conclusion that major dimensions are wrong. Sold it at a loss. Did buy Custom Brass L5 electric. All knowledgeable older guys said it was bad and they generally refer to that brand as "Custom trash". Amazingly after fitting in the largest can motor with huge brass flywheel in it, it ran beautiful. The gearing was fine and when running at full speed and picking the thing off the rails, running gear was still spinning for few moments. Learned not to be an orthodox over time. Depends how the model was designed and built is what matters.

Mike - I used to go to my daughter's basketball games, but she asked me to quit coming; because I would lean back in the bleachers and fall asleep at halftime. At the time I had to get up at 4:00 am to get ready for work. Daytime games on the weekend were OK though.
Willie-Maybe I should try that, so I could get out of having to attend every game. My wife has been warned several times by my daughter about quitting her "bleacher coaching" she regularly does.

Actually, I really don't mind going most times. It's the hour away games I could do without.

Laate morning for you folks from out here where we still have not fallen into the ocean.
I have a friend from back in Arkansas (home town and same HS class) who calls me every couple weeks and asks if I am still dry!

Lots of things to comment on this Remembrance Day and pics and modeling that you all share with me. I have to get busy as MOH is after my butt.

I failed to complete the door handle repair. There is a short "crooked rod" that I can't see much less reconnect - I can't even see how the mech was able to video it? I'll "fuss" with it some more today after I see what SWMBO wants?

47 degrees, sunny and going to 82 today - they say 84 tomorrow!

I've had few brass locomotives over time. It seems it's a hit or miss. First one was an Alco E44 electric since that was the craze for me at the time. It took i think three McDonalds pay checks with my part time high school work to own it. Bitter disappointment as this thing barely ran. Then after more research and with my knowledge about PRR electric locomotives increased, i came to a conclusion that major dimensions are wrong. Sold it at a loss. Did buy Custom Brass L5 electric. All knowledgeable older guys said it was bad and they generally refer to that brand as "Custom trash". Amazingly after fitting in the largest can motor with huge brass flywheel in it, it ran beautiful. The gearing was fine and when running at full speed and picking the thing off the rails, running gear was still spinning for few moments. Learned not to be an orthodox over time. Depends how the model was designed and built is what matters.
With brass, you have to be a tinker. Almost anything from the original builders in Japan ran very well. The old PFM steamers I mentioned all run like Swiss watches. The change came in the late 1970's when costs in Japan got too high and production moved to Korea. There was quite a learning curve and many stinkers before the Koreans got up the learning curve. Early Korean brass is notorious for bad solder joints and poor running characteristics but can be made to run and look decent if you have the skills, or the bucks to pay someone who does. :)

Good Afternoon, if you're reading this you missed the opening kickoff.:eek:

45° and sunny, going to 48°, this morning's low 27° Looks like a nice dry week, with gradually moderating temperatures.

This weeks goal, is to finish our Christmas Shopping, and non perishable Thanksgiving stuff. Already qualified for a "free" Butterball, but won't pick it up until next Sunday. Fridge & Freezer are full.

Caps beat Islanders, game not streamed locally. Watched the Leafs beat the Canucks 5-2.

I have been busy in the trainroom.

Trapezoid Building #2.jpg

Call this the Trapezoid Building for obvious reasons. Test fit, I have to fit it on the foundation and complete roof details before it's finished.
Trapezoid Building #4.jpg

Zoning board has approved another building across Tilghman Street, in the vacant lot.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 72F and humid from the night rain. After breakfast and chores, I glued the black plates (32) on the leg braces. That only took an hour, but my upper back was hurting from being hunched over so I called it a day in the train room. Tomorrow I'll start the NBW's that go on the plates. I'm using smaller ones for this job. After this part is done it's on to the winch/sliding assembly.

Joe- Nice layout shots.

Smudge- I hope the JMRI went well. I have never been successful using it.

Patrick- We went to Macaroni Grill for free spaghetti and meatballs. My son cooks at the restaurant.

Roger- Nice job on the window sash.

Mac- Nice finds. Glad I'm not a purist!

Karl- Great looking steamer.

David- Very well said.

Willie- Nice animal and people details.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon, if you're reading this you missed the opening kickoff.:eek:

45° and sunny, going to 48°, this morning's low 27° Looks like a nice dry week, with gradually moderating temperatures.

This weeks goal, is to finish our Christmas Shopping, and non perishable Thanksgiving stuff. Already qualified for a "free" Butterball, but won't pick it up until next Sunday. Fridge & Freezer are full.

Caps beat Islanders, game not streamed locally. Watched the Leafs beat the Canucks 5-2.

I have been busy in the trainroom.

View attachment 176779
Call this the Trapezoid Building for obvious reasons. Test fit, I have to fit it on the foundation and complete roof details before it's finished.
View attachment 176781
Zoning board has approved another building across Tilghman Street, in the vacant lot.
Nice track work, what do you use for switching machines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back