Running Bear's November 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Model Railroaders. Flo, can I get a Denver omelet w/sour cream & salsa, texas toast & a cup of deer camp please?
Be careful! These things are addictive!
Right? I'm already there! 😵 When I saw that car you had posted, I was on the look out for one, and this 3 domer hit the spot.
a nice set of Hazardous material placards
Your in my head, I saw the placard holders and wanted to get placards for them, thanks for the link!
This is a perfect car to serve a small oil dealer
I 've built the Campbell's, Quincy Associated oil company compound, thought it would go good there.
Thanks for the tip on weathering, I will give that a try.
I always enjoy a good kit-bash, as you and Walt had mentioned the squadron putty, I'll have to get some. I take it, it's a kind of body filler as sorts?

I don't know of a Proto 2K that can't have a decoder installed
Karl, Boris, Greg, thanks for the heads up. I had asked because looking at the sellers pictures, I just didn't see were a decoder would be hooked up.

Willie, neat build on the Long Bell buildings, and, some of the Long Bell motive power is stored here in Merrill, (along with a lot of other steam RR equipment), and there are several logging roads in northern Cal. that follow the the Long Bell's right -o-way, one we go down often even has a wye road bed on it and several roadbeds that branch off into the woods.

Curt--Thank You!

Terry, I sure hope your house isn't on that same level!

Thank you all for the likes and comments!

Here's some pics of the Quincy oil compound on the old layout.....
IMG_2385.JPG

IMG_2386.JPG

IMG_2388.JPG

EVERYBODY HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

STAY SAFE!

Thanks for the tip on weathering, I will give that a try. I always enjoy a good kit-bash, as you and Walt had mentioned the squadron putty, I'll have to get some. I take it, it's a kind of body filler as sorts?

Yes, it's a filler. There are several brands, that one is just the one most of us recognize! Tamiya makes it, and there is another Japanese brand called Gunze (I think...)

Karl, Boris, Greg, thanks for the heads up. I had asked because looking at the sellers pictures, I just didn't see were a decoder would be hooked up.
I have a feeling that the CNW GP38-2 I've still got is one such that is DCC capable, is a hardwire type, not the later "Quick Plug" 8 or 9 pin and you have to replace the bulbs to a different type as well. Small LED's weren't around much then either. Sound would have required milling the chassis.

Good morning y'all. Happy Friday! 51° with rain, and oh, yeah, This month Friday the Thirteeth actually comes on a Friday...

Progress on the Rails 11-12-2020.jpg

Making some progress on the PRR Branch. Working mostly with Atlas Code 83, is quite a contrast from working with Micro Engineering Code 70 on the Reading side. Log way to go, but hopefully it will be operational by the end of the weekend.

US Army @ Ft. Eustis.jpg

This is what the 714th Railway Operating BN did while I was assigned there. BTW, NYC George...Lowe's also gives us the 10%,

4877 at North Rahway #1 track 1982.jpg

NJT GG1 4877 with an Eastward train of the "North Jersey Coast Line" (NY&LB), at North Rahway in 1982. The Industrial Buildings in the background once produced a host of consumer products, and were served off the Wheatina Lead. Luminaries included Wheatina Breakfast Cereal, and Ipana Toothpaste. Behind where the photographer was standing, was Merck and the GM Assembly Plant at Linden. All but Merck are gone, and Merck is no longer rail served.

Good morning fellas, we have a heatwave of 21 degrees this morning here in Montana.

Terry - um yeah I wouldn't want to live where the water comes up like that. Probably snakes and gators everywhere!

Jerry - That built up Quincy oil compound looks great, I always wanted that kit when I was a teenager.

Boris - I love the picture of the steamer passenger run - I would like to be fishing that creek there to the right of the bridge.

Terry - what are the tents, is that an old civil war encampment or historical area there?

If you guys didn't see it I have posted some pics down in the locomotive section on converting the MDC / Roundhouse old-time 2-8-0 locos into Consolidations. Take a peek - but not for the rivet counters.

Walt, that is in Bethabara Historic Park. Among other things, it is the site of the oldest Moravian settlement in North America, dating to the mid 1700s.
There was supposed to be a “thing” this weekend as part of it, but I don’t know if it will happen.

Yes, it's a filler. There are several brands, that one is just the one most of us recognize! Tamiya makes it, and there is another Japanese brand called Gunze (I think...)
Careful with Squadron putty, I have found it shrinks over time, causing unwanted dips in the model, especially if applied more than paper thin. Thanks to a suggestion from IBKen, I started using JBWeld to fill voids when needed. It works well with plastics as well as metal, does not shrink, and actually adds some structural support.

Good Morning Everyone. Happy Friday the Thirteenth! Partly cloudy and 51° here this morning. Cooler today with a high of only 63°, and possible rain tonight, then up to 80° tomorrow with continued showers in the morning. Maybe! The weather forecasters have only been hitting it right about 20% of the time here this year.
Made the grocery/beer trek yesterday without incident. While I was in the store admiring the young housewives, my wife made an aborted trip to the car wash. The line was too long, so she went to the wine store instead and stocked up. Went back to town last evening to have dinner with another couple who we hadn't seen in a couple of months and I had a great prime rib dinner. Brought some home to make a sandwich today.

Hey there Flo! That Denver Omelet that Jerry ordered looks good to me.

Thanks to all who liked or commented on the structure build yesterday; Troy, Guy, Phil, Rick, Jerry, Chad, Walt, Greg, Hughie, Sherrel, Joe, Curt, Tom, Ken, James, Gary, Jerry. It's a simple structure, but it kept the creative juices flowing.

Kinda worked on two projects yesterday in the train shed. Remember from back in January, I was showcasing an area just south of the twelve track staging yard and this blank area was left for future development.
IMG_5026.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

It's about five feet long and ranges from 4" - 6" wide. It's sandwiched between the SLSF interchange line and the ATSF main line coming out of staging. Along the front edge of the layout are the grain elevator/feed store, Majestic Hardware, a ramshackle trailer and a freight distributor. My intent is to make this area into a railroad service/maintenance yard. The time has come.
First stop is to use the shed that I built Wednesday as an office besides the existing boxcar turned storage facility.
IMG_5032.JPG

IMG_5033.JPG

More to come on this area.
I also added some figures and some details to the recently built Wayne Feeds store.
IMG_5030.JPG

IMG_5031.JPG

Still sorting through some other details and painting a few to add here. When I finally plant it in an area that I won't be developing for quite a while yet, I plan to use that space under the loading dock for "junk" of all sorts.

Jerry - Has that Pacific storm hit you yet? Informative background info on Long-Bell. Thanks.
That Quincy Oil compound looks like it was fun to build. Nice work.
Terry - I happened to be listening to some Jan & Dean music yesterday and wondered what ever happened to your "Dead Man's Curve"? Then you posted that picture! That will slow the traffic down!
Greg - Hated to read the story about the bridge. Reminds me of an incident when I was young. Dad set up the Lionel trains every two years around the Christmas tree. In a big way. He cleared all of the furniture out of the formal living room/dining room and set up over 460 sq ft of layout (spaghetti bowl) on the floor. His ground cover was a bunch of green felt cloths, each about 4' x 4'. Well Mom was running the vacuum in the entry hallway and got too close to one of the felt cloths and sucked it right out from under the track. Structures, track and a few railcars went every which way. She was in tears when we got home from school, but one of my brothers and I managed to get everything back in place before Dad came home.. Nothing was actually broken, and Dad never knew about it.
Curt - It seems to me that some of these hurricanes and tropical storms have been getting over-hyped this year. That one that we recently experienced in Gulf Shores last month was another example. That's not to say that there haven't been some that were much more severe.

Well, gotta go now. I'm running a bit behind since I slept in with MOH this morning. I am usually up and at 'em by 0500, but today it was 0645. Stayed out too late last night!
Everyone have a great day and a wonderful weekend if you're cutting out early. Stay safe, keep your distance and wear your mask.

Careful with Squadron putty, I have found it shrinks over time, causing unwanted dips in the model, especially if applied more than paper thin. Thanks to a suggestion from IBKen, I started using JBWeld to fill voids when needed. It works well with plastics as well as metal, does not shrink, and actually adds some structural support.

More on fillers and putty - I agree the old Squadron Green putty was horrible, shrank, took too long for most modelers patience to dry, and clogged up sanding sticks and sandpaper really bad. The New "Gray" putty is a dream to work with
As Karl said - None of these tube type putties are meant to be deep crater fillers or used in very thick applications. I use them for saw and file scratches or minor blending. My guess they are basiccally a very thick primer.

When I have a project that requires a deeper fill, I use a two part putty from NAPA in the auto body repair section. It is in a tube and has a seperate hardner - it's basically very fine bondo in a tube for filling pinholes / imperfections in the normal"bondo" body filler.
I mix a bit up and it dries fast and sands easily. Ive got models with this filler for over 10 years with no issues .

Ive never tried JB Weld on any models but will keep that in mind for a serious repair.

Last edited:
Willie - Your feed store is a real winner! Love the details and the figures. One of the best "tin sheeting" roofs I have seen. Very real looking!

WALT - Thanks for the tip on the filler from NAPA. I will have to try that one.

JOE - In the latter days of the READER RR in Southern Arkansas - they purchased a cast-off ARMY
2-8-0 exactly like the one shown in your photo. I'll have to look, but I seem to remember that it was #1702? I believe that it came from either near Minden, LA, or Texarkana, TX. There are large ordnance depots at both places.

I remember back in the olden days of yore, we would place some baking soda in a void, then add some CA to it.
I used talcum powder mixed with clear lacquer model paint!

Greg: You're right. The only P2K locomotive with a reputation for smoking decoders is the ALCo S-1. The S-1 has a reputation for being impossible to isolate the motor from the frame. FWIW, I have one that will most likely remain as a DC locomotive.

Thanks Boris: The S-1 needs the frame isolated from the motor or there will (maybe) a short. I made the mistake of using Kapton tape to insulate the bottom of the motor from the frame on a S-1 and the forgot to use a nylon screw to secure the motor to the frame and the metal one I used shorted the decoder.

Greg

I have a feeling that the CNW GP38-2 I've still got is one such that is DCC capable, is a hardwire type, not the later "Quick Plug" 8 or 9 pin and you have to replace the bulbs to a different type as well. Small LED's weren't around much then either. Sound would have required milling the chassis.

Toot: I've used resistors to continue to use 12 volt incandescent lamps in Proto locos and also stepped up the lamp voltage to 14 volts and haven't experienced any lamp failures.

Greg

Last edited:
It gets me 10% off at HomeDepot now.

I wanted to serve but couldn't due to hearing impairment that I was born with. I wanted to be in either the NAVY or MARINES but was not able to do so. As mentioned a while back on a previous June coffee shop. My grandfathers both served. GR served in the ARMY WWII, Korea, Vietnam. Countless medals etc. He died at 101 yrs old this past spring. His 8 brothers all served and came back as well and served in Navy & Marines. My other grandfather GB served in the NAVY as one of the submariners. He served and came back from WWII. My dad served as a Merchant Mariner for supply ships during Nam. My youngest nephew just left last month to serve in the Marines. So a lot of military history in my family. I personally believe 10% isn't enough. I would like to see that at least 20% across the board with all companies/expenditures. My opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back