Running Bear's Mid-June Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Minersville Station. West End Branch, West Cresona to Good Spring. Minersville locates at MP 7.2 (Miles West of West Cresona). Maximum Speed 25 MPH through Minersville. No engine restrictions East of Tremont JC. then no engine over 900 HP permitted. Line served Reading Anthracite Co Anthracite Cleaner plant at Buckley, west of Minersville...Might be the "New St. Nicholas Breaker, but not sure. Have to dig deeper...

Interesting - I think I have learned more about buzzards than I ever knew?

I'm late to the party - watched Open Range (my fav western movie)!
Watched the Washington team beat the Padres 8-3: Drat,Drat,Drat!
It was a 1-1 score till the 7th - then Wash explodes with 5-6 runs.

54 degrees here - expecting 79 with sunny, breezy skies.

The Spousal Unit returned yesterday around 5 pm; I had made a nice breef stew and she said that it was the best she had ever had (I think she was just happy that she did not have to cook).
I do have to brag a little - it was better than I had ever done and was delicious!

I haven't done a whole lot in the past few days - haven't felt very good! If I could get a decent night's sleep without having to make the bathroom trick 4-5 times, I might feel better?

WILLIW - Tomatoes look wonderful, so do yours PATRICK!
LOUIS - good pic - the 4-4-4-4 has always stood out to me, massive machine!

Breakfast Burritos on the fly (small kind) from Burger King this morning - have to run!
I can eat them while driving - three is my normal fare.
Sherrel, while Open Range was a great western, Annette Bening put the icing on the cake. And I will leave it at that…….

Good morning, Everybody!
1687838748270.png

I miss Christian.

Last edited:
Morning all,

Touch of rain coming into work this morning. Basically a couple of clouds dropping a little and then you'd drive out of it. Barely needed the wipers.

Currently cloudy and 68° with a few morning showers expected, main rain and storms to hit overnight. High today of 92°. Tomorrow, high of 104° with heat index of 110°. Can't wait!!! <tongue firmly in cheek>

Good morning gang!

67° and cloudy, chance of afternoon thunderstorms and a high of 80° later today. Still pretty mild compared to a lot of the nation.....we'll take it. The rest of the week looks the same, with highs near 90° and rain daily. Can you say humid? Sure you can! Hoooooommid!

Last night was bill pay night for the coming month, so there was little enthusiasm for much else after that was done. I had been the quintessential check writer in my past life, but when the ex and I split, I went to full online bill pay. Now I might write 1 or 2 checks a year. Gotta love it!

I did spend some time perusing fleabay, got my bids in!

BBL

Re: Minersville Station. West End Branch, West Cresona to Good Spring. Minersville locates at MP 7.2 (Miles West of West Cresona). Maximum Speed 25 MPH through Minersville. No engine restrictions East of Tremont JC. then no engine over 900 HP permitted. Line served Reading Anthracite Co Anthracite Cleaner plant at Buckley, west of Minersville...Might be the "New St. Nicholas Breaker, but not sure. Have to dig deeper...
It looks to still be used. There was a row of hoppers sitting on the siding past RR crossing. Not much there left from the coal breaker according to satelite shots (i meant the old structures).I might have to hike the railroad there. I wonder if Reading Mallets made it there back in steam days.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Clear and mild at 78°, today's expected high is 104° as we enter day #4 of the "heat dome". Hasn't been getting quite as warm as predicted, but it still got to 100° again yesterday. Tomorrow is supposed to be the apex at 107° and then gradually cool down with thunderstorms in the forecast beginning Saturday.

Nothing special with the pulmonologist yesterday, the cardiologist is this morning at 9:15. For some reason, the doctor's office yesterday did not have my appointment on their books, but they saw me anyway - matter of fact, I didn't even wait as long as usual. I'm running the dishwasher right now, so that will be waiting when I get home. The two granddogs don't seem to mind the heat as much as I thought, but I am limiting their time outdoors anyway; otherwise they're enjoying their time here.

I skipped Tomato picking yesterday, but I will definitely have to resume today. I did sort out the ripest ones inside yesterday for processing today. I have decided on starting with salsa so I can also empty the fridge of Bell and Jalapeno Peppers.

Due to all other activity yesterday, plus the ever-beckoning pool, I skipped the train shed all together. That's the second day this week!!! I have decided on a few more small projects that I will be starting today. Nothing major, just populating a few more structures with figures and maybe a few additional details. There is no shortage of painted figures to use as I have been completing many of them recently.
A couple of random scenes from the most recent town build.
IMG_3272.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3267.JPG

IMG_3274.JPG

Jaz -
No but my typing is lazy and my spellchecker is down right crazy
Damn! I never realized that you used spellchecker!;)
Karl - There ain't no peace and quiet when you retire. My wife is two years older than me, but worked for 7 years longer after I retired. There was a "honey-do list" every morning when she left and then I had to hear about her day when she got home!
David - You're right about the kids saying "But you don't have anything to do" once you retire. But both of my girls soon realized that Dad wasn't going to drive 60 miles each way just to replace a light switch or something that the son-in-laws needed too learn to do themselves.

Gotta go now as the doctor appointment is an hour earlier than the one yesterday. Everybody have a great day. Stay cool.

Good morning from a dry, hazed filled So. Central WIsconsin. The air quality alert is at its highest level since I returned from the travels. Right now at 59f degrees is also the coolest temperature since I returned but the weather app says the high will be 81. The wind is at 10mph and will have gusts up to 20. Reads like another indoor day.

I looked at the email from the USPS telling me what mail and packages are arriving today. Still no decals, I am waiting to finish a MoW pick up truck commission but originally ordered the wrong ones.

I am also working on a Pikestuff enginehouse kit for a diorama for myself.
IMG_4440.jpeg
IMG_4437.jpeg
IMG_4436.jpeg
IMG_4439.jpeg
The window and door cut out lines on the Locomotive side of the shed needed to be covered so I glued a styrene sheet across them. I will cut the door into the shed. Additional sanding also needs to be done. Then I can clear coat and paint inside and out. I then have some industrial shelving and a bench to add. When dry the doors and windows can be plugged in. I had great intentions yesterday but got nowhere additionally with it. I need to matte clear coat it and add a stripe. I need to change the roof color from the factory blue to a white. I have a base for the building and added a small storage shed on the far side of the building. I will also be working on 2 port a potties and a shade cloth structure to shade them from the sun. I only started this diorama to get my dormant modeling juices flowing. I seem to have strayed a bit from just slapping it together. It may get a place to fit into the next layout. The idea is one 4 axle Locomotive can fit inside and the other side will be a service area for my own MOW vehicles that I seem to be accumulating lately.

I don’t have any weathering commissions due until the end of July but I should be working more on the ones I have. Instead of 3-4 hours at the bench on weathering I am getting an hour to at most 90 minutes in. It will change and because our Air Quality has sucked I have been mostly indoors, reading. Not like me but for some reason I have a pile of books, ( real paperback) I actually started reading again. Before retirement in 2014 I used to read 1-2 books a week. If I have read 5 books since then till last week that‘s a lot. 2 books so far last week and I am on my 2nd already since Sunday morning this week. Remember I watch almost no TV. These books have been there since my last Barnes and Noble order before Xmas 2014. There are 6 more books in the pile after I finish this one.

A bit cool on the north facing porch this morning with the wind blowing. But checking it out I double checked the neighbor’s yard across the street. Notice how dry the yard is but there are also a couple cranes. They are walking the neighborhood. I have seen this a few times over the years here as this house had been our property management offices till mid-Covid. Now it’s our temporary home till the still building new house is complete. This is only the second picture I have been able to get of these neighborhood walkers. The other shot before the traveling commenced was through the window of Terry’s office but terrible.
IMG_0464.jpeg
Enjoy the day

Attachments

• IMG_4435.jpeg
    IMG_4435.jpeg
    455.6 KB · Views: 32
Well howdy, there internet MRR people and those who wonder if Jaz is crazy, or it's just her spellcheck???

It's Troy again.

The garage guys are back today to paint. But, we're under hazy and smoke filled skies. We had about 1.5 inches of rain yesterday. Hope that paint sticks to damp wood. We won't see the sun today to dry it out.

And, Tom O's smoky weather is infiltrating our area.... Here's the AQ map from a short while ago.

Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 9.29.24 AM.png

I live about where the pink 162 dot is, west of New Haven. That's Lake Michigan in the upper left of the map. Notre Dame University is about where the purple 202 dot is.

Between the painters and the secondhand smoke from the Canadian trees, I'll be staying inside today. I made a run to Target (wife's birthday is Thurs, so I needed a card, and a party-sized bag of M&Ms for her), and even that little bit of exposure gave me some lung crunchies (a step before I need to break out the albuterol.)

I've worded almost my quota of words this morning. Right now the morning has seen 1698 words worded. No dead mice have been dropped into purses, but that did happen a couple of chapters ago. I'm about three chapters from finishing this book. Which is good, since it needs to be to the editor on July 3.

If I finish the chapter today, I get to reward myself with a 1.5 hour drive to Muncie IN and go play little toy soldiers. My dwarves are itching to sight in their rifles and crossbows. The ones with the orange hair don't bother with ranged weapons. they like to get up close and personal with their grudges.
347260392_6386085034791950_6094536511107473355_n.jpg

And, I might even bring the cannon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back